02-01-20 09:38 AM
29 12
tools
    Blackberry OS devices ended with iPhones and Android.
    BB10 tried to recover that space, and failed.
    BBMo under a new business model tried to recover a piece of the Android cake, and failed.

BlackBerry has demonstrated resilience and evolution.
    What comes next?
    Is there room for a 3rd rebirth?
    01-30-20 03:03 PM
    I don't think there is enough cash for a rebirth.
    01-30-20 03:06 PM
    Blackberry OS devices ended with iPhones and Android.
    BB10 tried to recover that space, and failed.
    BBMo under a new business model tried to recover a piece of the Android cake, and failed.

BlackBerry has demonstrated resilience and evolution.
    What comes next?
    Is there room for a 3rd rebirth?
    Phone no.... they have shut all that down. And BBMo just proved there isn't anything left in the brand....

BlackBerry is a small struggling software company focusing on automotive and enterprise security, and monetizing of IP in any way that they can.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-30-20 03:07 PM
    More like a metamorphosis into car software.
    01-30-20 03:08 PM
    By my count they have failed four times now....
    BBOS
    BB10
    BlackBerry Android Secure (which put them out of the smartphone business)
    Licensed BlackBerry Android Secure

Just don't think the 5th time is the charm....
    jacobacevedog likes this.
    01-30-20 03:14 PM
    I think good news are getting closer
    01-30-20 03:53 PM
    I think good news are getting closer
    https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news
    jacobacevedog and Mecca EL like this.
    01-30-20 04:02 PM
    By my count they have failed four times now....
    BBOS
    BB10
    BlackBerry Android Secure (which put them out of the smartphone business)
    Licensed BlackBerry Android Secure

Just don't think the 5th time is the charm....
    They just should have started with BB10 like YEARS before - great user experience!

But in a time where even Microsoft can't establish an OS - all is futile. Long live Android!

Posted from my P'9983
    01-30-20 05:05 PM
    They just should have started with BB10 like YEARS before - great user experience!

But in a time where even Microsoft can't establish an OS - all is futile. Long live Android!

Posted from my P'9983
    Long live Android indeed. It got me thinking....just a thought (they can't yet be read by Google /Facebook/anonymous Data miners....can they?)
    I wonder if anyone has done a study yet, but are the people least under "beneficient surveillance" in the developing/developed world actually prison inmates and patients in hospital beds? Now isn't that Ironic?
    01-31-20 01:02 AM

Posted from my P'9983
    Came here in 2007 and there were arguments about BBOS needing to be replaced.... I just assumed a big company like BlackBerry knew that as well and was already working on it. I was kinda shocked in 2010 to learn that they hadn't been.
    phuoc likes this.
    01-31-20 08:18 AM
    More like a metamorphosis into car software.
    Unfortunately I think they'll get their lunch eaten in this space as well.
    01-31-20 09:39 AM
    Unfortunately I think they'll get their lunch eaten in this space as well.
    Why do you say that? It has performed well so far.
    01-31-20 10:41 AM
    Why do you say that? It has performed well so far.
    I say that because the likes of Google and Apple will devour them in this space as well is my feeling on it. As you see, most of their "partnerships" in this space have been with basically noname companies or startups.
    01-31-20 10:52 AM
    I say that because the likes of Google and Apple will devour them in this space as well is my feeling on it. As you see, most of their "partnerships" in this space have been with basically noname companies or startups.
    Are Apple and Google making the software that the infotainment runs off of or just the "apps" (like QNX versus BB10)?

BlackBerry is also doing other stuff like Radar.
    01-31-20 11:05 AM
    Are Apple and Google making the software that the infotainment runs off of or just the "apps" (like QNX versus BB10)?

BlackBerry is also doing other stuff like Radar.
    Here is an example:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/5/20...e-infotainment
    01-31-20 11:18 AM
    The key to that article is
    But developing good software takes a lot of time and money, and automakers never developed a good reputation when it came to developing their own infotainment systems. As a result, pretty much every major automaker eventually relented and allowed smartphone-based solutions like CarPlay and Android Auto.
    How much has Ford invested in Sync over the years... and in the end the users just want to install CarPlay or Android Auto over it.

But QNX will still be there running on all the individual systems - engine, emissions, safety, environmental....
    01-31-20 11:39 AM
    The key to that article is

How much has Ford invested in Sync over the years... and in the end the users just want to install CarPlay or Android Auto over it.

But QNX will still be there running on all the individual systems - engine, emissions, safety, environmental....
    This is full android embedded into the system. Likely won't involve QNX at all. Its not car play on top of an existing platform, its fully embedded android.
    01-31-20 11:42 AM
    This is full android embedded into the system. Likely won't involve QNX at all. Its not car play on top of an existing platform, its fully embedded android.
    But is it for all the other systems like Dunt mentioned?
    01-31-20 11:59 AM
    But is it for all the other systems like Dunt mentioned?
    Can't say for sure but doesn't mean QNX is being used either though.
    01-31-20 12:09 PM
    Can't say for sure but doesn't mean QNX is being used either though.
    Right. So there is a potential market there, particularly for things the average consumer wouldn't even know about.
    01-31-20 12:14 PM
    It's embedded Android in that it will be the main OS in the dash of the car that the user will interact with. This will hurt QNX's growth, there is no doubt.

But it isn't replacing QNX as they OS maintaining the car's general operations or running and overseeing the many sub-systems..... in the Android Automotive specs it talks about being able to run on a virtual CPU... in other words, QNX's hypervisor .
    01-31-20 12:16 PM
    Google doesn't care about controlling your breaking system.... there isn't much money in that. (look at QNX revenues)

Where there is money, is in the user interface... "Car, where is the nearest Gas Station, map it out". "Car, what's the best restaurant near me, and how do I get there?". "Car, play that new album I just bought...".
    01-31-20 12:21 PM
    Ford Sync3 runs on QNX.
    01-31-20 03:31 PM
    Ford Sync3 runs on QNX.
    Does sound like this would replace an OEM's own UI... like Ford Sync.

Ford has a lot invested in Sync at this point, so I don't see them switching... unless the market put pressure on them. But with their car sales dragging them down..... they'll be looking at areas to cut cost but to stay "updated".

Again QNX would still be there...
    01-31-20 04:00 PM
    As pointed out, value is the problem. QNX as a tiny OS that does suspension and engine management works great, and is used that way in millions of cars, but BB only makes around $1.50 per car.

Using QNX For Cars to build the infotainment system (separate from the car management piece) gets BB another $14-15 per car - but that value may decline if everyone is using Car Play/Android Auto instead of the built-in stuff, and that is a big problem for BB.

Really, though, BB wants to be a big player in the self-driving car systems, which would give them $100+ per car - but AGL (Automotive Grade Linux) is a serious problem as well.
    01-31-20 08:29 PM
29 12