I heard here:BlackBerry returns to tablet arena with security-focused slate | Digital Trends that there will be a $2400 tablet.

Any confirmations?
    03-16-15 02:48 PM
    They did a press released for it and it was on Crackberry. So it is confirmed.
    RazzBerry likes this.
    03-16-15 02:53 PM
    This is, in my view, the critical feature of this product. When tablets are going for ~$300, how is this going to be compelling ?
    03-17-15 01:07 PM
    This is, in my view, the critical feature of this product. When tablets are going for ~$300, how is this going to be compelling ?
    If you're a government.

Consumers can buy a dozen Android tablets or two iPads for the cost of this thing, but this tablet is by no means a consumer tablet.

Or a BlackBerry tablet, but I digress.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 01:16 PM
    This is not for consumers.

It target is government and business.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    RazzBerry likes this.
    03-17-15 01:56 PM
    Apple laptops used to cost over $2500 and consumers bought them. This is nothing for a company with high level security concerns or a government.
    RazzBerry likes this.
    03-17-15 02:02 PM
    Wondering how much money BlackBerry would see, per tablet, from this tablet.
    03-17-15 02:22 PM
    They are focusing on Gov and Business accounts for this one
    03-17-15 11:27 PM
    I would buy one if a zero was missing off the end. Obviously not for the average joe or bob or jim or....

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2480
    03-17-15 11:37 PM
    People buy porsche phones!

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 12:18 AM
    Not many governments will spend $2400 on a tablet. They don't need a secure tablet... or a tablet at all. Blow the money on a real laptop.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 12:51 AM
    Not many governments will spend $2400 on a tablet. They don't need a secure tablet... or a tablet at all. Blow the money on a real laptop.

Posted via CB10
    If there's anything governments are good at, it's buying unnecessary things.

Posted via CB10
    SeeBeeEss and Fidel Mercado like this.
    03-18-15 12:53 AM
    If there's anything governments are good at, it's buying unnecessary things.

Posted via CB10
    No, not really. They may fund many programs that may end up failing. But when it comes to buying tangible goods, they are usually pretty good at being stingy (unless there is no easily identifiable alternative).

In this case, the "easy-to-make bad decision" would be to buy thousands of iPads. Yet, they would still be much cheaper than this thing.

I mean, is it ruggedized? Waterproof? Fire resistant? Why would they issue a compromising Android tablet when they can just issue fully capable laptops?

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 08:51 AM
    When I read the title, I thought this would be about another moderately priced Apple product...
    03-18-15 09:00 AM
    No, not really. They may fund many programs that may end up failing. But when it comes to buying tangible goods, they are usually pretty good at being stingy (unless there is no easily identifiable alternative).

In this case, the "easy-to-make bad decision" would be to buy thousands of iPads. Yet, they would still be much cheaper than this thing.

I mean, is it ruggedized? Waterproof? Fire resistant? Why would they issue a compromising Android tablet when they can just issue fully capable laptops?

Posted via CB10
    You may want to double check your math. Thousands of ipads won't cost less than $2400.

Governments (and large corporations) are used to buying things the average person walking into Walmart isn't buying, especially if it's for specialized functions critical to government or high level companies. Yea, a town government could buy 10 Ford F150's with snowplows on the front, or they could buy one real highway department snow plow. Which do they buy?

If they aren't looking for something "ruggedized, or waterproof, or fire resistant", then they DON'T CARE that it's not. If they are looking for security, then that's what they care about. If they are looking for a thin form factor of a tablet, then that's what they care about. If they are looking for both at the same time....then that's what they care about. And, perhaps the tablet is actually more secure than their options for the laptop you suggested they buy instead.
    03-18-15 01:28 PM
    $2400 for Samsung tablet? No way!
    03-28-15 08:34 AM
    Guys calm down, this tablet is not for you people!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 08:37 AM