08-14-18 02:27 AM
599 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Respectfully, the PKB is a niche device. Hyping doesn't really matter that much.
    Hype never hurts. Leaking a photo or render does not cost that much.
    02-01-18 11:20 AM
    I think you'll see things methodically happen, just like with the KEYone.

Imagine all the hype that goes into rolling out a basic refrigerator or cargo van..
    02-01-18 11:35 AM
    I think you'll see things methodically happen, just like with the KEYone.

Imagine all the hype that goes into rolling out a basic refrigerator or cargo van..
    Last time I checked cargo vans and refrigerators were not niche.

With the keyone there was some hype built up with CES leaks.

I think the idea is to sell as many devices as possible. Marketing kind of helps that idea and building hype is a part of it.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-01-18 11:43 AM
    Last time I checked cargo vans and refrigerators were not niche.

With the keyone there was some hype built up with CES leaks.

I think the idea is to sell as many devices as possible. Marketing kind of helps that idea and building hype is a part of it.
    They're obviously not ready to do anything. KEYone is still being rolled out. Besides, it will be the same people that bought the last PKB. I'm excited for another PKB. However, these devices won't happen as quickly because they don't have carriers on board in NA.
    02-01-18 11:48 AM
    BlackBerry Mobile got a LOT of flak last year for teasing the KEYᵒⁿᵉ too early.
    Last edited by conite; 02-01-18 at 12:57 PM.
    02-01-18 11:55 AM
    Mobile World Congress is in March. That's the appropriate time for BlackBerry Mobile to promote its new phones in order to build carrier and retail distribution interest.

Last year, they wanted some buzz to excite BlackBerry loyalists uncertain about the future. Mission accomplished. That's why the early announcement and release made sense. But they were punished for it in these forums and don't need to repeat the exercise, since they have products available for purchase already.

The best thing for them would be to come out of Mobile World Congress with some good press and carrier commitments in hand. Consumer buzz without the carriers and retailers is not going to help much in 2018.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-01-18 12:06 PM
    BlackBerry Mobile got a LOT of flak last year for teasing the KEYᵒⁿᵉ too early.
    What I am saying is the leak should come from the leaksters. Not the company itself.

Doesn't make sense for them to announce anything. Just leak some stuff on purpose like pint of salt from an anonymous weibo account.
    02-01-18 02:23 PM
    What I am saying is the leak should come from the leaksters. Not the company itself.

Doesn't make sense for them to announce anything. Just leak some stuff on purpose like pint of salt from an anonymous weibo account.
    Well, we did have the geekbench leak.
    02-01-18 02:31 PM

Most business make plans for the upcoming year (fiscal or calendar)... hard to incorporate BBMo in those plans when you have little info on what and when they are doing things.

They don't have to leak stuff, just give some basic info like BlackBerry use to provide their enterprise customers.
    02-01-18 03:06 PM
    Most business make plans for the upcoming year (fiscal or calendar)... hard to incorporate BBMo in those plans when you have little info on what and when they are doing things.

They don't have to leak stuff, just give some basic info like BlackBerry use to provide their enterprise customers.
    Enterprises have to plan and budget in advance, but they decide on exactly which brands and models to buy just before actually placing an order to take advantage of promotions and incentives. No enterprise purchaser cares about the differences between phones in advance, except in terms of hard requirements, such as security, support terms, etc.

02-01-18 03:11 PM
    People are asking for "smaller" screen on the KeyTwo?? Yikes, no way!

Please give me a larger screen and slightly larger keys!
    02-01-18 08:09 PM
    Well, we did have the geekbench leak.
    Yep it is a good start. But if they are not gonna announce anything in MWC (I think they will not) we should have more leaks.
    02-03-18 04:45 AM
    Give me a HUGE phone phablet - Passport width, 18:9 aspect ratio OLED screen, 18Mp camera, top-notch processor, slider pkb and a 4000 mAh battery. Damned the torpedoes and I'll get a workout just lifting that one to make calls. Oh yeah, and make it candy apple red while you're at it - I want people to see it from a distance. Of course I know it won't happen but I can dream.
    02-03-18 05:28 AM
    TCL has managed to keep a tight lid on any leaks for the upcoming devices, would usually by now have seen something.
    02-03-18 10:47 AM
    TCL has managed to keep a tight lid on any leaks for the upcoming devices, would usually by now have seen something.
    So everyone that's been using a smartphone for the past 10 years. In emerging markets this is the last 5 years

Posted via CB10
    02-03-18 11:14 AM
    It's true. If they don't have anything to show at MWC, it will be a disappointment, and a likely indicator that we won't see new devices released before Q4.

02-03-18 11:20 AM
    TCL/BlackBerry Mobile have a booth booked for MWC according to the listings (as do BlackBerry, for that matter). CES is a little watered down these days in terms of formal phone launches, so the KEYone Bronze Edition and the Motion availability were perfectly reasonable announcements.

MWC is a different situation, and unless you are Apple or Samsung, not capitalising on its opportunity would be ludicrous. I fully expect to see something from TCL this month, even if it's an unfinished prototype again.
    02-03-18 11:38 AM
    It's true. If they don't have anything to show at MWC, it will be a disappointment, and a likely indicator that we won't see new devices released before Q4.

In the spirit of adding iterations they may surprise us with an upgraded KeyONE running the 660...
    02-03-18 12:42 PM
    In the spirit of adding iterations they may surprise us with an upgraded KeyONE running the 660...
    That would make sense, depending on when they plan to release it. Hopefully they can announce a bunch of carriers at the same time.

I was happy to see a KEYone on display at Best Buy in Rockville, MD the other day. First BlackBerry I've seen on display outside of AT&T since 2014.

02-03-18 01:01 PM
    That would make sense, depending on when they plan to release it. Hopefully they can announce a bunch of carriers at the same time.

I was happy to see a KEYone on display at Best Buy in Rockville, MD the other day. First BlackBerry I've seen on display outside of AT&T since 2014.

A glimmer of hope perhaps. It's about time BBMo's carrier and distributor partners figured out they may actually sell more units if they do something crazy and outlandish like putting it on display in their stores. Lol.
    02-03-18 01:12 PM
    A glimmer of hope perhaps. It's about time BBMo's carrier and distributor partners figured out they may actually sell more units if they do something crazy and outlandish like putting it on display in their stores. Lol.
    Their partners only do things when BBMo/TCL foots the bill. It's about selling devices with the highest margins to customers. Highest margins exist when OEM agrees to set aside "marketing" dollars for everything from shelf location, unsold device return allowance, salespeople or cash to pay salespeople and on and on.....

BBMo/TCL revenue is less than what the big OEM companies spend with carriers on marketing. In 2018, BBMo/TCL needs to go to gym to bulk up just to be called a David to battle multiple Goliaths.
    02-03-18 04:55 PM
    Give me a HUGE phone phablet - Passport width, 18:9 aspect ratio OLED screen, 18Mp camera, top-notch processor, slider pkb and a 4000 mAh battery. Damned the torpedoes and I'll get a workout just lifting that one to make calls. Oh yeah, and make it candy apple red while you're at it - I want people to see it from a distance. Of course I know it won't happen but I can dream.
    you're not kidding it would be huge. 18:9 with the same width as the passport would be double the screen height (I'm not even sure why it's called 18:9 it should be 2:1) then you want a slider keyboard coming out it! I did a flat mockup... kept the bezel's uniform because who needs big bezels with that device and rounded the corners. You should be able to get a battery a lot more than 4000 mAh in there.

2 new keyboard devices-huge-phone-phablet.jpg
    tazcubed likes this.
    02-03-18 09:40 PM
    What date is MWC/CES? I am clinging on to my Q10. I think I was the first person in the UK to get a Priv and I probably returned it before the second got theirs. I hate hate hated it. I have had my girlfriend's iPhone 5c on my desk since she upgraded to an SE but I cannot bring myself to go through the conversion for a plethora of reasons. Meanwhile back at Luddite HQ the bloomin wotsop has stopped working since 2018 and I doubt I will be able to hold onto the history. What to do do? IPhone 5c/SE or wait for SE2 or just wait for these two new BB phones and hope they aren't biggest dikkus. What are the stats on SE sales in relation to the rest of the others in the Applecart? I accept that if I stay with Blackberry, I am going to have to learn the Android way but am I alone in wanting something bold/q1o/classicish in form?
    Last edited by jrfurank; 02-04-18 at 04:10 AM.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-04-18 03:56 AM
    I LOVE it! I agree about the battery, but I didn't want to go all out Heck, I could have asked for a 4K screen, stereo speakers with Dolby sound, 5G prepped. I think that might be a little unrealistic....Ironically, it looks about the same size as some 6" phones like the Sony Ultra XA2. Even if the keyboard shrank a little bit to fit as a slider it would still be miles better than the Priv's. In my opinion all of that actually makes it doable. I'm sure the cost would be somewhere in the range of an iPhone these days - only more useful.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-04-18 07:23 AM
    Their partners only do things when BBMo/TCL foots the bill. It's about selling devices with the highest margins to customers. Highest margins exist when OEM agrees to set aside "marketing" dollars for everything from shelf location, unsold device return allowance, salespeople or cash to pay salespeople and on and on.....

BBMo/TCL revenue is less than what the big OEM companies spend with carriers on marketing. In 2018, BBMo/TCL needs to go to gym to bulk up just to be called a David to battle multiple Goliaths.
    You are way over complicating this. There's a *slight* difference between a 'marketing campaign' that includes cash incentives, huge glossy displays, advertisements etc and simply setting aside some space on your store's own retail fixture to display a product and putting a price tag on it. It's kind of a basic requirement for selling anything isn't it? Lol.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-04-18 11:30 AM
599 ... 678910 ...