08-14-18 02:27 AM
599 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Perhaps someone here can explain why this is relevant when a USB-C or lightning port has ample spare connectors for 2-3 headphone wires? What is so difficult or technically impossible about re-purposing un-used connectors of sufficient voltage and impedance to a headphone function?

Yes the fact you need to buy a new set of headphones is annoying but is how is this impacting the audio quality?
    Some feel that analog connector is better... but no evidence of that being true.

Some don't like adapters, and the new headphones with the right connector are still pricing

Some don't like that you have to have a special adapter if you want to charge and listen at the same time. Proable the best argument....

Some just don't like change.
    01-31-18 11:29 AM
    Some feel that analog connector is better....
    That's what I was getting at. Isn't the audio signal being passed through a USB-C or Lightning cable still an analogue signal? I can't see how it would even work with a regular pair of wired headphones otherwise.
    01-31-18 01:50 PM
    That's what I was getting at. Isn't the audio signal being passed through a USB-C or Lightning cable still an analogue signal? I can't see how it would even work with a regular pair of wired headphones otherwise.
    On Apple, it's a digital signal. Proable the same for USB-C devices.

With Apple the headphone or the dongle has to have it's own DAC... Which means what you buy will make a difference. That's why there are companies selling much more expensive dongles than the standard $9 one.

Me I can't tell much the difference between a $50 headphone and a $300 headphone.... can still tell the difference between a $20 and 50 set.
    01-31-18 02:09 PM
    On Apple, it's a digital signal. Proable the same for USB-C devices.

With Apple the headphone or the dongle has to have it's own DAC... Which means what you buy will make a difference. That's why there are companies selling much more expensive dongles than the standard $9 one.

Me I can't tell much the difference between a $50 headphone and a $300 headphone.... can still tell the difference between a $20 and 50 set.
    Ah I see, so there is a DAC built into the dongle? That would make sense. But with all the talk of DACs by the audiophiles here one with think a dongle (with a good quality DAC) is actually a better solution acoustically over a standard 3.5mm jack (and being at the mercy of whatever DAC the manufacturer built in to the phone)...
    01-31-18 02:15 PM
    Apple doesn't like wires. They went wireless not because of market demand but because they want to create a brand that doesn't emphasis fail safes and legacy options for it to work even if the market is not ready.

Apple knows their role in pushing market demand and they take the leaps because of its trusted loyalty base even if they secretly don't like it. Other follow along because they want the table scrapes of apple and what was once an undesired direction now is looked at as sophisticated.

This is why apple has never had expandable storage or removable batteries (popular in 2007) because they don't want to rely on sloppy 21st century floppy disks or admit their devices need more battery power. It's about a specific culture they are driving which allows them to monetize things like cloud storage (which is just the virtual cable) or allow them to introduce ridiculous superfluous features like multi layered advanced face detection then charge a ridiculous price for it.

But who am I to criticize because they are making lots of money doing this and every other company would do the same if they could get the profits. Essential is trying to tap into this market by delivering the same apple sophistication in an Android device and it is yet to be proven. Apple has the ambition and deep pockets to be innovative for the sake of innovation and that's the culture it is driving, I'm not sure essential can keep up to that demand all they can do is copy it.

Posted via CB10
    Lots of money yes but hey if you want to talk about what is the most popular choice then look here.

https://android.jlelse.eu/apple-vs-a...7-c5799a0a1683

Why do they not have expandable storage? I think not your answer but more like it offered them more control over what media you can put on the phone and makes it easier for the iSheep to just buy it from iTunes. Let's not forget that it helps keep the phone more secure. Yes the phone that is easily jailbroken ever OS update.

I believe apple removed it for two reasons. First they had no innovative ideas and thought it would make a great controversy and second they could make their phone slimmer and again more publicity. Wow great applish ideas for innovation eh?

Bahahah....Bahahaha... say iSheep. Enjoy your culture.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-18 02:20 PM
    It's also crazy slippery
    That's my issue with almost all phones these days. I prefer to carry phones naked, and they need to survive being carried in pockets with keys and change and being hastily pulled out and used without flying out of my hand. Slick glass slabs don't do well in those conditions.
    01-31-18 02:34 PM
    Some feel that analog connector is better... but no evidence of that being true.

Some don't like adapters, and the new headphones with the right connector are still pricing

Some don't like that you have to have a special adapter if you want to charge and listen at the same time. Proable the best argument....

Some just don't like change.
    I am not going to buy and carry a separate, inferior headset just for my phone when I already own a number of top quality headsets that cost more than my phone and which I use for all my other listening.
    01-31-18 02:42 PM
    Ah I see, so there is a DAC built into the dongle? That would make sense. But with all the talk of DACs by the audiophiles here one with think a dongle (with a good quality DAC) is actually a better solution acoustically over a standard 3.5mm jack (and being at the mercy of whatever DAC the manufacturer built in to the phone)...
    This is true, but only if the outboard DAC is reclocking the bitstream, buffering it to reduce or eliminate jitter, and offers clean amplification of the analogue signal. Most off the shelf dongles don't do that.

The larger issue is that it's not possible to charge the phone while using the dongle. That's a problem for me.
    01-31-18 02:47 PM
    Lots of money yes but hey if you want to talk about what is the most popular choice then look here.

https://android.jlelse.eu/apple-vs-a...7-c5799a0a1683

Why do they not have expandable storage? I think not your answer but more like it offered them more control over what media you can put on the phone and makes it easier for the iSheep to just buy it from iTunes. Let's not forget that it helps keep the phone more secure. Yes the phone that is easily jailbroken ever OS update.

I believe apple removed it for two reasons. First they had no innovative ideas and thought it would make a great controversy and second they could make their phone slimmer and again more publicity. Wow great applish ideas for innovation eh?

Bahahah....Bahahaha... say iSheep. Enjoy your culture.

Posted via CB10
    Steve Jobs said – Apple goes to where the puck is heading, not where it has been

This is why they don't do sd slots and headphone jack, this is the culture of apple and like it or hate it they have success in this model.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-18 05:35 PM
    Steve Jobs said – Apple goes to where the puck is heading, not where it has been

This is why they don't do sd slots and headphone jack, this is the culture of apple and like it or hate it they have success in this model.

Posted via CB10
    I think you have drank too much of the apple juice and are babbling nonsense.

iOS is a walled garden and best suited for the technical inept that like being told how to do it. Many of iOS's solutions like iMessage or cloud storage are a mess and in many cases you are stuck with no other options.
    Android offers many directions in which things can be done with incredible versatility and compatibility. This is why people are simply more in love with Android phones (84.82 percent market share, globally) than they are with iPhones.
    With Google holding on to the puck they are controlling the smart home and TV'S so the continued growth will eventually take down the Roman Empire (Apple). They had their day.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-18 06:28 PM
    I think you have drank too much of the apple juice and are babbling nonsense.

iOS is a walled garden and best suited for the technical inept that like being told how to do it. Many of iOS's solutions like iMessage or cloud storage are a mess and in many cases you are stuck with no other options.
    Android offers many directions in which things can be done with incredible versatility and compatibility. This is why people are simply more in love with Android phones (84.82 percent market share, globally) than they are with iPhones.
    With Google holding on to the puck they are controlling the smart home and TV'S so the continued growth will eventually take down the Roman Empire (Apple). They had their day.

Posted via CB10
    I'm too pragmatic to care about where Apple thinks the puck is going. But just because I don't buy into it I still recognise what apple is trying to achieve and that it has been successful. Innovation for the sake of innovation looks cool it just isn't all that pragmatic.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-18 07:08 PM
    For consumers who just want a phone that works, easy to operate and can run the important Google apps and has after sales support, the iPhone is an excellent choice.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-01-18 at 01:12 AM.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    02-01-18 12:34 AM
    iPhone 6 came out in September 2014. Still working great. Still getting all the OS updates.
    Those generation iSlabs battery life (especially after the new updates) tend to be so bad that they're not really serviceable without a mophie case.
    Matter of fact, the only iSlab with a battery that's worth a damn is the 8 and 8+, which the big A has done a remarkable job at optimizing the A11 for efficiency. Other than that, I wouldn't trust an iSlab to get me through the day in the wild away from any charging source.
    02-01-18 12:44 AM
    My iPhone works great my Samsung not so much. At least the iPhone is consistent. My Samsung 's battery would have strange unexplained drains.

I do not need a Motion but I agree that if you need a phone to go all day with no hope of a plugin, then an iPhone or a Pixel may not be a prudent choice.
    02-01-18 01:14 AM
    My iPhone works great my Samsung not so much. At least the iPhone is consistent. My Samsung 's battery would have strange unexplained drains.

I do not need a Motion but I agree that if you need a phone to go all day with no hope of a plugin, then an iPhone or a Pixel may not be a prudent choice.
    And since the battery is what makes all the other features possible, it is objectively the most important feature in a mobile device.
    02-01-18 01:42 AM
    If you don't like the analogy then I can create many more that won't save your life. If you don't agree with my argument on removing a convenience that many did not ask to have removed then let's discuss that.
    I'm so sick of having so many things that need to be charged!! You remove the wired headphone jack, then you need a wire to charge the wireless headphone.
    I have a BT headphone. When I want to use it, invariably it needs to be charged. So I don't bother to use it.
    Please don't take away my SD card slot. It's so easy to move the card from one phone to another.

Here's an analogy. We bought a condo that was not yet built, so we were able to request some changes.
    We removed the door to the toilet area in the bathroom (paid extra), so they removed the fan!!!! Said it wasn't required because the rest of the bathroom had windows! So, did they want me to open the windows in February at 20° if the bathroom got steamed up??? We made them put it back. YEESH!

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    02-01-18 07:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wayne Gretzky said that. More shameless plagiarism by Apple. What does Apple care about pucks? Lol.
    02-01-18 07:46 AM
    Wayne Gretzky said that. More shameless plagiarism by Apple. What does Apple care about pucks? Lol.
    Wayne Gretzky helped design and market Apple products with Steve Jobs??
    02-01-18 08:41 AM
    Wayne Gretzky helped design and market Apple products with Steve Jobs??
    What, you never heard of the iPuck? Lol.
    02-01-18 08:51 AM
    Isn't the Motion doing okay though? Might make sense to keep at least one touchscreen-only model in their portfolio.
    I hope so. I fell in love with BlackBerry's vkb with the Z10 and am not interested in pkb's anymore. Much prefer the screen size. I have a PRIV and never use the pkb. Just ordered a Motion, and I'm very excited to have a true slab again. I may be in the minority around here, but BlackBerry needs to always offer a non-pkb to retain me. And I don't want to leave BB. Love their phones. Not interested in other Android slabs.
    02-01-18 08:57 AM
    I think we need some render or leaked photos for the flagship keyboard device.

BBMo needs to build some hype. We start getting leaks for Android devices months before. BBMo should leak some "appropriate" photos or renders or whatever to evleaks or such.
    02-01-18 09:14 AM
    Respectfully, the PKB is a niche device. Hyping doesn't really matter that much.
    02-01-18 09:19 AM
    My wife has a dtek60 and although it gets a lot of flak that it doesn't fit in a BlackBerry culture it's a nice device, good battery and I'm pretty sure the best flagship BlackBerry has produced to date.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely agreed - it is the best BlackBerry flagship to date. Battery is on the smaller side compared to a KEYone or Motion, but still adequate for a full day for me. With it's QC tech, I can go from dead to a full charge in an hour. Usually it isn't dead, so I can bring it back to full a lot quicker than that. Getting a QC charger for my car was great for this.

Anyway, I love my DTEK60 and would love to see a real successor to this device at some point.

Until then, for the purposes of staying on track with this thread, I'd take a Priv 2 as well.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-01-18 09:37 AM
    Respectfully, the PKB is a niche device. Hyping doesn't really matter that much.
    I firmly believe that people who only use PKBs are missing the elegance and usability of BlackBerry's VKB, and people who denigrate VKBs are missing the accuracy and keyboard shortcuts of BlackBerry's amazing PKBs

BlackBerry is best in class in both VKBs and PKBs. The simple reason is that they knew their traditional customers spent at least as much time typing as reading on their devices, so they gave data entry more attention than the media and app-oriented phones from Apple and Android manufacturers.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-01-18 09:54 AM
    And since the battery is what makes all the other features possible, it is objectively the most important feature in a mobile device.
    In that case you should check out the GSMarena battery tests.

https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

The Motion tested out well but no where near the top. The device directly above it is the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 with a 3000 mah battery. The top phone is a Lenovo P2 with a battery test score 58% better than the BlackBerry.
    Qorax likes this.
    02-01-18 10:19 AM
599 ... 56789 ...