05-18-18 10:35 AM
531 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Somehow i didnt get that impression. Its more of assuming they both will be PKB...
    Well, it was stated plainly. There is no doubt.
    01-28-18 06:12 PM
    Well, it was stated plainly. There is no doubt.
    just saw this small line...
    "In interviews later given to press at CES 2018, Gareth Hurn, BlackBerry Mobile, Global Head of Device Portfolio confirmed both devices will be new keyboard based designs."
    Well thats heartbreaking...
    01-28-18 06:16 PM
    just saw this small line...
    "In interviews later given to press at CES 2018, Gareth Hurn, BlackBerry Mobile, Global Head of Device Portfolio confirmed both devices will be new keyboard based designs."
    Well thats heartbreaking...
    If there is a future to BlackBerry slabs, it will be along the lines of the Motion - mid-range, long-lasting, tough, secure.

If you're looking for a high-range slab, you're not BlackBerry's target market. It's probably time to look elsewhere.
    01-28-18 06:21 PM
    U calling Motion high-end? Another thing is with that fat bezel at the bottom it is simply ugly... so NO GO
    I'm not calling it high-end. I'm saying it's as high-end as you're going to get from BBMo/TCL
    01-28-18 07:23 PM
    TLC makes plenty of slabs, why would they produce another just to slap the BB logo on it? If they do release a BB branded slab, it's just going to be a rebranded existing.
    And I don't think TLC has ever done a high end device, doubt they will anytime soon.
    01-28-18 07:36 PM
    If there is a future to BlackBerry slabs, it will be along the lines of the Motion - mid-range, long-lasting, tough, secure.

If you're looking for a high-range slab, you're not BlackBerry's target market. It's probably time to look elsewhere.
    To be successful in the USA market you need carrier support. What do they need to do to get that support?

They need a phone that is competitive on features or price. I expect TCL to rebrand one of their phones like the Dtek but with stronger cosmetic differences . Either that or running BlackBerry Secure on an Alcatel or TCL high end all touch device.

Their current strategy of high price, lousy camera and low end processor is not acceptable in the USA marketplace.
    01-28-18 07:52 PM
    To be successful in the USA market you need carrier support. What do they need to do to get that support?

They need a phone that is competitive on features or price. I expect TCL to rebrand one of their phones like the Dtek but with stronger cosmetic differences . Either that or running BlackBerry Secure on an Alcatel or TCL high end all touch device.

Their current strategy of high price, lousy camera and low end processor is not acceptable in the USA marketplace.
    The existing Motion packs in as much at $449 as they are willing to provide to warrant staying in the business.

They will never go head to head with the Essential or OnePlus - it's as simple as that.
    01-28-18 08:29 PM
    The existing Motion packs in as much at $449 as they are willing to provide to warrant staying in the business.

They will never go head to head with the Essential or OnePlus - it's as simple as that.
    If that is true then they are paying too much to BlackBerry in relation to the benefits derived ( in the all touch market).
    01-28-18 10:28 PM
    I'm not calling it high-end. I'm saying it's as high-end as you're going to get from BBMo/TCL
    DTEK60 with its SD820 so far is the highest end BlackBerry device. Whatever is released in 2018 they will probably all pack the same internals and probably the rumoured SD660.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-18 05:45 AM
    DTEK60 with its SD820 so far is the highest end BlackBerry device. Whatever is released in 2018 they will probably all pack the same internals and probably the rumoured SD660.

Posted via CB10
    The news reports suggest that the next Alcatel 5 will be priced below $300 US. They should be able to sell a BlackBerry version for no more than $100 more. The Alcatel 5 has minimal bezels but has the finger scanner on the back. If they have 4 gigs of ram and a better processor it would be competitive at about $430.

The new 5 looks to be a pretty nice phone. The lack of a bottom chin boosts the 18:9 screen size to 5.7 inches in a smaller frame. Maybe TCL is just going to leave BlackBerry out of the all-touch market because of the additional costs involved.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-29-18 at 10:55 AM.
    01-29-18 10:38 AM
    The news reports suggest that the next Alcatel 5 will be priced below $300 US. They should be able to sell a BlackBerry version for no more than $100 more. The Alcatel 5 has minimal bezels but has the finger scanner on the back. If they have 4 gigs of ram and a better processor it would be competitive at about $430.

The new 5 looks to be a pretty nice phone. The lack of a bottom chin boosts the 18:9 screen size to 5.7 inches in a smaller frame. Maybe TCL is just going to leave BlackBerry out of the all-touch market because of the additional costs involved.
    The Alcatel simply does not fit the big battery, rugged branding of BlackBerry. they would be better off getting out of slabs than go that route.
    01-29-18 12:21 PM
    The Alcatel simply does not fit the big battery, rugged branding of BlackBerry. they would be better off getting out of slabs than go that route.
    I expect BlackBerry will be doing a post-mortem and come out with a more premium device, at a competitive price tag, next time around.
    01-29-18 04:33 PM
    I expect BlackBerry will be doing a post-mortem and come out with a more premium device, at a competitive price tag, next time around.
    Doubt it.
    01-29-18 04:50 PM
    Doubt it.
    I love the positive attitude
    01-29-18 04:53 PM
    I love the positive attitude
    Just being a realist. People here keep telling those of us in the market for a high end device are not BlackBerry / TCL's target demographic. What am I supposed to think?
    01-29-18 06:25 PM
    People here keep telling those of us in the market for a high end device are not BlackBerry / TCL's target demographic. What am I supposed to think?
    That they're right?
    Carjackd likes this.
    01-29-18 06:33 PM
    Just being a realist. People here keep telling those of us in the market for a high end device are not BlackBerry / TCL's target demographic. What am I supposed to think?
    Depends on your definition of high end devices . If your talking the latest processors I agree..because the latest processors don't work for long battery life. They still build a quality devices , sure the screens could be better quality but the over all devices both the KEYone and Motion are built like tanks . I'm glad the dtek 60 was just a test device. All this glass crap doesn't fair well for every day use.

Nevertheless , I think we will see the KEYtwo with a pretty impressive build , probably a 680...anything more will have adopters sitting by their charger. I expect to see the camera kicked up and improvements on signal quality...as we have seen with the motion. I expect the Ram to be kicked up as well. The only thing I'd like to see which I doubt we will get until different variations come out will be 64 gb hard drive. Time will tell. It's not far away
    01-29-18 06:40 PM
    Depends on your definition of high end devices . If your talking the latest processors I agree..because the latest processors don't work for long battery life.
    That's a myth. My Essential is running an 835 and gets a day and a half no problem with a 3000mah battery. High end, more efficient chip with newest manufacturing process costs more. TCL wants to spec it out lower end, price high, and pocket the difference. That's the business model. It's goes far beyond the SoC too...screen quality (non QHD, non AMOLED), speaker and audio quality, antenna, ram, eMMc flash, no wireless charging, camera sensor...its a veritable shopping list of value engineered parts in the inside. Pretty much the only thing they seem to be willing to spend some money on is the exterior chassis and the battery size.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-29-18 07:36 PM
    That's a myth. My Essential is running an 835 and gets a day and a half no problem with a 3000mah battery. High end, more efficient chip with newest manufacturing process costs more. TCL wants to spec it out lower end, price high, and pocket the difference. That's the business model. It's goes far beyond the SoC too...screen quality (non QHD, non AMOLED), speaker and audio quality, antenna, ram, eMMc flash, no wireless charging, camera sensor...its a veritable shopping list of value engineered parts in the inside. Pretty much the only thing they seem to be willing to spend some money on is the exterior chassis and the battery size.
    No it can't. Not possible. It must be in standby mode. Just kidding.

But seriously, Essential isn't fair comparison. Will the company survive? It did get better carrier support than BBMo/TCL. If Essential 2 isn't total success, it's over for the company. I still haven't figured out the hook of the Essential over any other Flagship OEM device from a successful business model standpoint.

Anyway, I've done my best to properly interact....
    01-29-18 07:51 PM
    An updated Keytwo with a slightly better processor and more screen real estate within the same form factor. They might be able to get a 4.8 inch screen into the current foot print. However, I would absolutely die for a passport, with a 3 row keyboard, a 3:2 screen (5.2 to 5.5 inches) and a big battery. That would be one killer device and I would buy it in a minute.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-29-18 08:13 PM
    No it can't. Not possible. It must be in standby mode. Just kidding.

But seriously, Essential isn't fair comparison. Will the company survive? It did get better carrier support than BBMo/TCL. If Essential 2 isn't total success, it's over for the company. I still haven't figured out the hook of the Essential over any other Flagship OEM device from a successful business model standpoint.

Anyway, I've done my best to properly interact....
    For me Essential ticks off all the boxes...great hardware, top notch design and build quality, close to stock Android with no bloat, and 2 years OS / 3 years patch support. If BBMo did the same they would have my business; the extra BlackBerry security and BlackBerry apps would be icing on the cake. I haven't entirely written them off yet... but when all they seem to really care about is battery life, and perhaps the appearance of durability...it seems BBMo is not interested in a device of that callibre. At least not yet anyway.
    01-29-18 08:17 PM
    What happens when you turn it on? . I can guarantee you with my use you wouldn't get half a day
    01-29-18 08:27 PM
    I agree, people can talk all they want about high end phone but that market is saturated and shrinking fast. Just look at the iPhoneX which clearly underperformed. Just today, Apple confirmed they cut production in half by the end of the first quarter of release. Rumor has it that production will be trimmed again by another 5-7 million in the coming quarter. Face it folks, there is little sexiness left in the smartphone market. Consumers are looking for value, (ie good specs at a reasonable price). A portion want reliability, toughness, updates, security and a battery that lasts the day. This is where BlackBerry needs to be.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-29-18 08:29 PM
    For me Essential ticks off all the boxes...great hardware, top notch design and build quality, close to stock Android with no bloat, and 2 years OS / 3 years patch support. If BBMo did the same they would have my business; the extra BlackBerry security and BlackBerry apps would be icing on the cake. I haven't entirely written them off yet... but when all they seem to really care about is battery life, and perhaps the appearance of durability...it seems BBMo is not interested in a device of that callibre. At least not yet anyway.
    My question is:

What made you pick the Essential over any other Flagship Android OEM? What's the differentiator?
    01-29-18 08:29 PM
    My question is:

What made you pick the Essential over any other Flagship Android OEM? What's the differentiator?
    Essential and OnePlus are the "discount" flagships. High specs - mid price. They have the same overhead as my barber.

No marketing infrastructure, no carrier relationships, no business sales teams, etc, etc. Box them at the back door of the plant and sell them over the net.

You'll never see either of them in an enterprise environment.
    Last edited by conite; 01-29-18 at 09:15 PM.
    01-29-18 08:46 PM
531 ... 23456 ...