Alright, so we pretty much know our newest Blackberry will be the Bold 9650, releasing on or around May 27th. That's fine and dandy but that got me thinking. Usually the carriers and RIM like to release a new device or two around the holiday season to get things really going. So what can we really expect to drop from Blackberry around November-December this year?

Maybe the Storm 3, but I think if that was the case we would have had some type of info or prototypes show up by now. The silder blackberry is supposedly GSM so that rules that out. If it ends up being the new Pearl I would be a little disappointed, and again I believe the first new Pearl to come out is GSM. But then again maybe they won't release any new Blackberry devices for the holiday season. Who knows maybe there is a device we don't even know about that will come out.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 04-17-10 at 09:58 PM.
    04-17-10 09:55 PM
    Actually according to rumors..The slider was being tested on Sprint.

Don't think anything new will arrive..I'm sure the pearl and slider will be out before that..You'll most likely have buy one for two deals..

If anything Verizon/Sprint would be pushing some new droid or if the rumors come true Verizon will market the CDMA iPhone like no tomorrow.
    04-17-10 10:37 PM
    Slider for sure will come on a CDMA version, the new pearl too, the storm 3, and the 9650. Aside from those, we don't know what RIM is cooking anymore. They are working very very hard to stop leaks of information and devices. Oh, also, the new curves.
    04-18-10 02:02 AM
    My guess, is the hot holiday phone will not even be a Blackberry.
    04-18-10 02:14 AM
    ...Oh, also, the new curves.
    Hang on... did I miss something?

83xx - original curve
    8900 - upgraded/mini bold
    85xx - commonly known as curve2

so "the new curves" will be what? slider curve? touchscreen curve? slider/touchscreen with SureType? With built-in ray gun???
    04-18-10 09:06 AM
    I think the reference is the 93xx series which we really know nothing about other than A) the numbers exist B ) it would make sense that the 83 update to a 93 and C) it would make sense to keep the Curve name.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-10 09:28 AM
    I think the reference is the 93xx series which we really know nothing about other than A) the numbers exist B ) it would make sense that the 83 update to a 93 and C) it would make sense to keep the Curve name.

Very true, and also the 93XX series will be out this year along with the other Berries we know off already, and maybe something we haven't heard about.
    04-18-10 12:32 PM
    CDMA is slowing dying a slow death... it's just a fact... it will start to make less and less sense for RIM to develop anything CDMA from now on... they *should* be focusing their efforts on GSM/LTE and possibly WiMax handsets from here on out... I just hope that's what they are actually doing...

frankly, they are wasting time releasing the 9650 is bit of an oddity... although considering the 9630 was a half-baked effort (not enough mem, and no WiFi) it's understandable to a point...
    04-18-10 01:06 PM
    So, we have

Storm 1 > Storm 2 > Storm 3
    Curve 8330 > Curve 8530
    Tour 9630 > Tour2/bold 9650 > ????

Any thoughts as to what will be replacing the tour2/bold? I would think the slider, if it does come to cdma, will be a different class device. Perhaps to fill the gap between the storms and tours. But for those of us who stick with the traditional 8830>9630>9650 bandwagon, what will come next?
    04-18-10 09:41 PM
    Nothing will... It's the end of the CDMA road...

04-18-10 09:59 PM
    CDMA is slowing dying a slow death... it's just a fact... it will start to make less and less sense for RIM to develop anything CDMA from now on... they *should* be focusing their efforts on GSM/LTE and possibly WiMax handsets from here on out... I just hope that's what they are actually doing...

frankly, they are wasting time releasing the 9650 is bit of an oddity... although considering the 9630 was a half-baked effort (not enough mem, and no WiFi) it's understandable to a point...
    LTE won't be completely rolled out in the US until the second half of 2011, at best. That's over a year away. RIM is not going to start developing LTE phones and just sit on them for a year or more until the LTE coverage is substantial enough to warrant releasing a phone that runs on it, or release an LTE phone if its only useable in a few markets around the country. They have to keep producing CDMA phones, at least until LTE is fully rolled out. And even then, the phones will most likely still have CDMA support on them until all the kinks have been worked out of the system.
    04-19-10 08:59 AM
    can CDMA get EVDO Rev B so that the slow death will be more tolerable? It would be wonderful if the 9650 was software upgradable to Rev B if it ever gets finished.

For the future, i'm leaning towards a tried and true BB flagship getting upgraded to sport dual mode LTE and EVDO. the first LTE devices will likely be data only but a BlackBerry Bold-esque type device would be my prediction for the first LTE device. and maybe this could hit limited markets 2nd half or 2011?

For the holidays you might see big red run really good promo's on the 9650 and really advertise their exclusive services like PTT, NFL Mobile, and Skype being able to run on the new BB.
    04-19-10 09:12 AM
    Hang on... did I miss something?

83xx - original curve
    8900 - upgraded/mini bold
    85xx - commonly known as curve2

so "the new curves" will be what? slider curve? touchscreen curve? slider/touchscreen with SureType? With built-in ray gun???

93xx is the new curve model
    04-19-10 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD