hi i was wondering if its possible to use a blackberry with a smartphone plan?? im with rogers! n i'd like to get the new 9700 bb is there a setings i could change on the phone so it could work??? thxs

mike
    11-21-09 09:21 AM
    k ty for the quick reply

mike
    11-21-09 09:44 AM
    Or, you could buy it and not use data like me Im getting by fine with wifi. People think im crazy though...
    11-21-09 03:08 PM
    hi i was wondering if its possible to use a blackberry with a smartphone plan?? im with rogers! n i'd like to get the new 9700 bb is there a setings i could change on the phone so it could work??? thxs

mike
    Yes you can, just tell Rogers its for a BB and as long as its a data plan its ok... I have the 9700 and I'm using a "smart phone" plan!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 10:41 PM
    No reason to be rude mbk. Here in the states the carriers require the purchase of a BB data plan, so we assumed the same was true in Canada. No confusion/offense meant!
    That's just the US, and only Verizon & ATT. Canada and Europe are different. Additionally here in the US it's much more difficult to get lower costs and less usage plans, generally all you get is unlimited, but in Canada and Europe, you can get limited plans, such as 500MB at a lower cost.

I suggest the OP look in to other data options like that 500MB plan with careful usage you'll be fine and it will almost seem unlimited.

EDIT: I adjusted the title to make it more descriptive and then moved the thread to the Rogers Forum
    11-23-09 07:48 AM
    Just give Rogers a call. A friend of mine originally has a iphone but also uses a Blackberry and occasionally switches around between phones. Since she cannot add email accounts or use BBM on her Blackberry she gave Rogers a call and told her what she was doing and wanted access to the Blackberry features. They did something to her account so her data plan can be used both for Blackberry and iphone. I assume that you can also do this is a regular smartphone and Blackberry. Doesn't hurt to call.
    11-23-09 09:31 AM
    hi i was wondering if its possible to use a blackberry with a smartphone plan?? im with rogers! n i'd like to get the new 9700 bb is there a setings i could change on the phone so it could work???
    Yup, absolutely, the only thing is to make sure that when you are setting up the plan, tell them that it's for a non-blackberry smart phone, otherwise, they'll insist on giving you a blackberry data plan. A number of users have been using their blackberry on a voice plan with unlimited mobile browsing add-on. Much cheaper than paying for 500 MB of data, however, as it has been pointed out, you will not be able to use BB messenger, and your emails will come 5 minutes later, than they do with push email. So, if you can live without those two features, than you may consider it.
    11-23-09 05:07 PM
    If its the early cancellation penalty you're worried about, they will let you switch from a smartphone plan to the blackberry data plan with no penalty. I switched mine from a smartphone plan that was on a 2 year agreement to the blackberry data plan without any additional penalties. You would however have to renew the data plan commitment for whatever the time time period happens to be at the time of switching over.

11-23-09 05:14 PM
    If you read the smartphone data plan on the rogers it does say it supports blackberry. The only thing you have to watch out for is if you use an iphone. Then there is a seperate plan.

I have used a smart phone plan with rogers with my blackberry for years now.

Just take alook at the website under data plans/options and you will be able to read for yourself.

11-23-09 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD