I bought this great new Classic despite a fear that perhaps it could develop the dreaded double-typing of the Q10. The salesperson offered Device Protection for $7.99 per month. She explained that above and beyond the one-year warranty included on a new device, if the device failed outside of that time or if it was ruined, lost or stolen, it would be replaced.

I finally received the paperwork for the plan today.
    1) there is an $80 replacement fee on top of the monthly fee if it fails.
    2) there is a $150 fee if the device is lost or stolen.
    3) they reserve the right to switch to a similar phone.
    4) they can choose to send a refurbished phone.

When I called to cancel, the agent insisted that a new phone would be sent rather than a refurbished. I choose to believe what they sent in writing instead.

[in addition to the lack of integrity, the numbers are troubling. Doing the math, for almost $100 a year, I get nothing. If the device were to fail after, say 15 months (3 months outside of the warranty), I would be paying a total of about $200 for a refurbished device. If it were stolen at that time, I'd be paying a total of about $270 for a refurbished device, either way, the model of their choosing. If it comes to that, I can pick up a used phone for $100 on Kajiji. For now, I'll keep my money besides investing a few bucks for a good protective case.]

Posted Via Classic-SQC100-4/10.3.1.1154 CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Beware of Rogers Device Protection-img_20150122_202114_edit.jpg   Beware of Rogers Device Protection-img_20150122_202141_edit.jpg  
    Last edited by wbbeinuni; 01-22-15 at 08:06 PM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-22-15 07:19 PM
    Sadly this isn't limited to Rogers. I've had similar experiences with Bell and Telus reps. As much as you want to believe what I the agents are telling you in person, always ask to see it in writing.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 07:33 PM
    This is to be expected from the big 3 though. They'll do anything to screw you over.

Posted from CB10 on my awesome Q5
    01-22-15 07:37 PM
    Bell and Rogers use Asurion while Telus uses a different company. What people forget is the deductible, $80 for your Classic. The $150 fee is when you don't return the device after reporting it as not lost/stolen (you will have to fill out an affidavit if you do report it lost/stolen). Again, you get a manufacturer refurb device. If your specific model is not in stock or EOL (say, older model) you will get the current equivalent.

Keep in mind there is a point in time where you break even where it doesn't make sense to pay for the device protection (cheaper to upgrade than use device protection).

Posted via CB10
    anon(3072139) likes this.
    01-23-15 09:46 PM
    I bought this great new Classic despite a fear that perhaps it could develop the dreaded double-typing of the Q10. The salesperson offered Device Protection for $7.99 per month. She explained that above and beyond the one-year warranty included on a new device, if the device failed outside of that time or if it was ruined, lost or stolen, it would be replaced.

I finally received the paperwork for the plan today.
    1) there is an $80 replacement fee on top of the monthly fee if it fails.
    2) there is a $150 fee if the device is lost or stolen.
    3) they reserve the right to switch to a similar phone.
    4) they can choose to send a refurbished phone.

When I called to cancel, the agent insisted that a new phone would be sent rather than a refurbished. I choose to believe what they sent in writing instead.

[in addition to the lack of integrity, the numbers are troubling. Doing the math, for almost $100 a year, I get nothing. If the device were to fail after, say 15 months (3 months outside of the warranty), I would be paying a total of about $200 for a refurbished device. If it were stolen at that time, I'd be paying a total of about $270 for a refurbished device, either way, the model of their choosing. If it comes to that, I can pick up a used phone for $100 on Kajiji. For now, I'll keep my money besides investing a few bucks for a good protective case.]

Posted Via Classic-SQC100-4/10.3.1.1154 CB10
    Did you get the agent to document your account that they will give you a new device!? Cuz they will have to honour that if they did!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 12:39 PM
    I am not prepared to test that theory. Especially as the agents work for Rogers and the printed agreement that allows for a refurbished phone is from a contracted insurance company.

Posted Via Classic SQC100-4/10.3.1.2072 CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-05-15 07:23 PM
    Do the numbers, usually the odds are stacked against you.

Here in Australia if you're on a contract, the phone gets 24months "wrty", because it has to be serviceable for the duration of the lock-in period. Makes sense!

:-D

  Telstra has the Classic now, "got it in two weeks agow"...  
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-18-15 03:21 AM
    Not to mention they want you to send your phone to a third party company. I am very protective of my contact's information. No way did they get my phone went and picked up used Q5 until I could upgrade to Z30.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 07:48 AM
    I used it on Rogers for a Q10 that was damaged after a month of service. Asurian sent a new Rogers Q10 but I had my concerns based on the terms and conditions per the OP that it might be a refurb.
    02-22-15 08:07 PM
    They never send new replacements! If the customer service agent promised you that MAKE SURE you get that individual to notenand document your account. They will have to honour that mistake.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-14-15 08:33 PM
    There is a 'device protection' service from BB. Check BlackBerry Care ? BlackBerry Warranty, BlackBerry Protection Plan - US. I cancelled my TELUS insurance for device
    03-18-15 09:56 AM
    My friend at work bought this insurance for his Passport. After accidentally smashing it, he's been waiting for almost two weeks for a new phone. They keep saying they're back ordered. I wonder if there's any truth to it?

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 08:37 PM
    What a crock of shyt!

PaulJ
    06-10-15 10:49 PM
    Any policy that attempts to railroad you up front, long before you make a claim, can be counted on to let you down should you ever need it. No surprise.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 05:03 AM