11-27-08 12:52 AM
57 123
tools
    I've never owned a bag phone but the company I worked for bought me the first (true) cell phone for buisness calls. The phone cost $1,400.00 and 12 cents-a-minute (not many phone plans at the time). You should have seen the "holster" that came with it!!

People would literally stop in the middle of the street to talk to me about that amazing phone.

10-10-08 07:46 AM

That was my first phone. Just out of highschool & grabbed the most pocket friendly phone Cellular One had. You can't tell from the picture, but the phone was 2inches think & 2.5 inches wide.
    It may be out-dated, but I received daily weather, unlimited text messages & a wap browser...Top-o-the-line back in the day!
    I still have it tucked away to show my grandchildren how gratefull they should be they didn't have to cary this brick around.
    10-10-08 09:13 AM
    I had the Star-tac from Sprint... loved that flip phone.........
    10-10-08 09:20 AM
    I did have the bag phone...in fact my room mate also had a bag phone. Imagine 2 guys riding in the same utility van sportin' the same bag phone. I remember hoping out of the van to go in the store and both of us walkiing in with those sweet phones on our shoulder!!! LOL

My first cell phone was this cinder block sized phone from Nokia. I think it was the 100 or something like that. My service sucked and I got about 50 minutes a month. My parents bought that for me because of my driving. The very first night I got it, I had to use it because I got a flat tire. The battery in the phone was worse. One 5 minute phone call and it was flashing that it was low. The service area was about a 30 mile radius around my house and that was it. I had Altell service. Altell was one of the "bigger" service providers in Arkansas, though it sucked.

My S/O is older than me an he said his first phone was a bag phone. At the time, he was police chief and the city bought him this phone. For the first month, he had free minutes and blazed them up. I think he said after that it was about 30 cents a minute to talk.

Anyway, after the cinder block phone, I then got a Nokia 5160 I think through SunCom. That phone was so small compared to that brick I was carrying around.

After that, I got a Motorola StarTac. That phone died and I got another flip phone, but I can't remember what it was.

Then I switched over to Nextel about 5 years ago and started out with a Baywatch yellow I550 or I560 one. Forgot which model.

And now, 5 years later, I have my CrackBerry.
    I've never owned a bag phone but the company I worked for bought me the first (true) cell phone for buisness calls. The phone cost $1,400.00 and 12 cents-a-minute (not many phone plans at the time). You should have seen the "holster" that came with it!!

People would literally stop in the middle of the street to talk to me about that amazing phone.

Cell phone and self defense weapon.
    10-10-08 09:23 AM
    I had a bag phone for my first cell, still have it in the garage actually but I dont think it works anymore. After that i had nokia brick phone, that was in 2000 or 2001, I remember that just about everyone I went to college with had the same one
    10-10-08 10:13 AM
    My first phone was a nokia 282 analog from altel 50 min 19.99 a month and service was so bad I bought a pager too for 12.95 a month that was the good old days

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-08 10:26 AM
    Haha my first phone was some old nokia! It was only like 6 years ago so it wasn't that huge!!!

10-10-08 10:42 AM
    I had a bag phone that you could only use in the car. No battery or regular plug, although we could have gotten them. That was followed by the NEC ingot phone.

10-10-08 11:30 AM
    My first phone was the nokia 3200

10-10-08 12:00 PM
    i had the qualcomm thin phone. it was actually really nice back in 1999
    10-10-08 12:31 PM
    I can't remember the model designation - but it was a Samsung for the Sprint network. Chunky little black & silver clamshell beastie.
    Tacky-tacky.

The only good thing I can say about it, looking back now, is that it must have been made out of some form of Psycho-thermoplastics because you could drop it off a balcony, bury it in the snow and crack walnuts with the flip-lid and it never broke.
    10-10-08 01:56 PM
    My first was a nice heavy Motorola bag phone, god that thing weighed a ton!!!
    10-10-08 02:05 PM
    I still have a 'bag' phone but it wasn't my first. My first was a Motorola star-tac.

10-10-08 02:33 PM
    My first was the big brick. was that Moto? I don't remember
    10-10-08 03:19 PM
    Standard looking Nokia silver/grey bar type phone
    10-10-08 03:37 PM

hehe. I had two of those. and what's even more sad is that I paid for both of 'em!
    10-10-08 03:46 PM
    I had the Star-tac from Sprint... loved that flip phone.........
    that was the best phone ever, and my fave as well. in my travels between the west coast and DC, the Star Tac always seemed to be in the hands of those that were getting things done, even years after they were considered obsolete. heck, I'd have put a few more years on mine if the silly hinge contacts didn't finally give up
    10-10-08 03:50 PM
    I did have the bag phone...in fact my room mate also had a bag phone. Imagine 2 guys riding in the same utility van sportin' the same bag phone. I remember hoping out of the van to go in the store and both of us walkiing in with those sweet phones on our shoulder!!! LOL

i had the same type only mine was from cellular one.
    10-10-08 04:07 PM
    my first phone was a prepaid trac-phone. really not that huge, but when you only have 200 mins a month and each text sent or recieved costs .5 minutes...
    10-10-08 05:22 PM
    Oh you guys are further than me.! My first phone was the kyocera energii Iloved it at first

10-10-08 11:58 PM
    My first was a Nokia, mounted in my first new car which was a Mazda Miata in 1990.

My bills averaged around $400 per month but only if I didn't roam too much.
    10-11-08 12:03 AM
    I still have it.
    10-11-08 07:57 PM
    Nokia 5165.

10-11-08 11:32 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD