I just read that Blizzard the company that makes the largest pay online game in the world World of Warcraft aka WoW is planning on making a mobile version to accomidate the players more. Now let me say this my brother was a A student he attended summer school to graduate a year early and went to college in a chmisty/biology double major so he could be a doctor all the teachers looked at his academics and said if anyone around here could do it he could. He got in a crowd that played WoW and his grades dropped fast he failed so bad he had a 0.4 GPA thats right 0.4 zero point four all because he quit going to class regular because the game began to rule his life and he couldn't leave the game in the middle of a quest or seachering for some rare item. This game destroys kids lives my brother is 20 as soon as he gets off work he gets on WoW he eats in his room to play he calls the people he plays so he can comunicate easier and typing interferes with his game play time. he really thinks he is going to find a wife over the game and marry and they will live happily ever after playing WoW together. It is SICK and Blizzard needs to be boycotted and if you have kids playing it cost them 30 bucks every two months to get a game card or 15 a month if they score a credit card WoW will auto debit the fee each month. so join in contact your cell phone provider tell them to boycott World of Warcraft and Blizzard don't allow it on their networks save the kids while we can.
    11-06-08 11:17 PM
    Lovit, addictions can happen to anyone, and the effects can be devastating to those with them and their loved ones. You have to understand that the vast majority of people who play this game play it responsibly. This problem your brother faces won't get better until he admits he has a problem. He might be better off if you concentrate on him.

It would be helpful for you to read about interventions and begin planning one with your family and his friends who understand the problem. Talk with some mental health experts who deal with this type of addiction. I can tell you care deeply for your brother and I think if anyone has a chance, he does because of you. Good luck to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 12:02 AM
    Man I have talked to other people who play this game they all talk like him WoW in almost every sentence and they recite their level and full stats list to eachother before shakin hands it freaky my brother is smart I flipped a bike his senior year my parents were both at thef hospital the whole time I was there 3 months and he kept his grades up was at the hospital 3 nights a week and it a 2 hour drive it something in thne game that did it you ever heard of that mind control through TV and songs could they do that in a online game
    11-07-08 12:21 AM
    It's kind of ironic someone posting on 'crack'berry would feel the need to try to spread word and boycott a company for making a game.

People who get addicted to games are no different than those who get addicted to alcohol, tobacco, sex, gambling, etc. Shall we boycott those products as well?

I don't mean to mock your brother's plight, but addictions happen with everything. They aren't the fault of the product, they are the fault of the individual, either through weakness or deficiency elsewhere in their lives that the addictive substance brings to them.
    11-07-08 12:33 AM
    You can protest all you want, petition all you want, and complain all you want but you won't stop Blizzard from releasing WoW Mobile! There is waaay 2 much money to be made from it for them to even consider not releasing it...
    11-07-08 03:09 AM
    (Sigh)
    Ya know, I can't understand why people have to take such stands. Your brother is a big boiy now and is free to make good and bad decisions and is big enough to live with the consequences. If your family is so concerned, have you all taken it up with him. Had an intervention maybe? This is a family issue, not a national crisis. At his age, if he's just working and not going to school, maybe its time to be told to look for his own place to live.

You can boycot if you want as its your right but I won't be joining you. Both my sons have played it and their lives have hardly been destroyed.

Good luck.

11-07-08 06:17 AM
    (Standard disclaimer: No disrespect to the problem your brother has)

You wrecked your bike and had to go to the hospital? Then we should boycott motorcycle makers.

He calls his friends to make it easier to play? Boycott the phone makers and phone companies!

I had a friend who played way to much WoW. I never heard about it from him, except for him to say that he was up too late the night before. He also decided he had enough and he up and quit.

I don't know about you, but when I meet someone with a BlackBerry, I get all excited and start spewing model numbers and OS versions and stuff... My wife isn't impressed.
    11-07-08 06:34 AM
    well, if people can't handle gaming and let their academics/career productivity decline, that's THEIR problem. the same reasoning goes with pretty much anything, if you can't handle it, don't do it. and if you do it and you can't handle it, it's your problem and no one else's.
    11-07-08 06:36 AM
    (Standard disclaimer: No disrespect to the problem your brother has)

You wrecked your bike and had to go to the hospital? Then we should boycott motorcycle makers.

He calls his friends to make it easier to play? Boycott the phone makers and phone companies!

I had a friend who played way to much WoW. I never heard about it from him, except for him to say that he was up too late the night before. He also decided he had enough and he up and quit.

I don't know about you, but when I meet someone with a BlackBerry, I get all excited and start spewing model numbers and OS versions and stuff... My wife isn't impressed.
    it wasn't the motorcycle it was the speed at which i was traveling i was doin 60 in a 25
    11-07-08 07:40 AM
    We should never ban things because a few people can't handle them. Why penalize the majority for issues a few people have?

People with certain personalities can get addicted to anything if they don't take steps to avoid it. Let's ban them instead.

That's the beauty of America, we used to be free to succeed or screw up as much as we wanted. Now we have id10ts trying to prevent every little problem we might encounter in our lives. No, let us live our lives and use a little thing called personal responsibility.

11-07-08 08:14 AM
    Howdy Luvitlo,

Really sorry that you brother found it easier to play a game than to continue the hard work of school. People find some things EASY. So they do them.
    People said the same thing about Dungeons and Dragons back when I was playing it in the 70's. People say the same things about tv, Blackberries, video games, drugs, girlfriend/boyfriends/friends, drinking, new hobbies, gambling..etc.

It's not Wow, it's your brother.

The reason that no once cared at first before he sank into the pit of not caring about anything but the game, was everyone around him felt it was ok, since it wasn't drugs/drinking or stealing to support the habit. I the Wow Servers stopped working today, yeah there would be a few bummed out players, but none of these "addicted" players would suddenly start acting like their normal selves. They would sadly gravitate to some other addictive behavior. And in your bothers case, school and grades may have been one such addiction or him.

I know many people that play Wow daily, but they still have normal lives. They interact with their friends and families, work, go to school and still be productive, and yes play the game. When fantasy becomes a problem, help should be sought for the person, but if they don't want it, what happens next will depend on how far the family wants to push it to "Save them".
    11-07-08 12:28 PM
    As a parent of a child who plays World of Warcraft, I had to comment...and agree with the other posters. Addiction can happen to anyone and with any type of vice. Yes, we pay for my son's subscription to WoW, but he does chores around the house to earn it. We also monitor his time online. Homework and chores come first before he goes online.

I am sorry for your brother's problems. I think a good counselor could help him a lot and he could then start to rebuild his life.
    11-07-08 01:53 PM
    Everyone wants to compair drugs and Alcohol to this so I'll lay it down before my x got pregnant with our son I drand and did drugs and I was a totally different person it wasn't me actin it was the reaction my brain had to the stimulation of drugs and alcohol so if WoW is like them then it should be OUTLAWED just like weed and meth. or highly controlled like Alcohol and tobacco you have to be 21 to drink in the USA.
    My brother dropped 18 G's his first semester of college if I would of had an 18G start in college I could of finished I struggled to earn the grades I had which was just below the scholarship requirement I missed it by 0.2 on my GPA ofcourse I worked my way up the ladder and before my wreck I was an assistant Distict Manager and another 3 months the DM above me was retiring so I waould scored his position and pay I hate to see my brother throw his life and mind away on a game and yes when the net goes out he yells and calls the company every 15 minutes until its back up so he can play so if WoW deleted it's server tomorrow he would would have to be locked up for real.
    11-07-08 02:35 PM
    First off-

Weed isnt addictive.

You can't possibly Compare Crystal Meth, or Cocaine to WoW.

Second off-

The world is full of Virtues, AND Vices.

It's your choice to filter them out.

Mcdonalds makes you Fat.

It Brainwashes children to crave it.

Should we ban it?

No.

You should have the Moral, and Intellectual Fortitude to decide, and eat it with moderation.

Just because there's a dollar menu, and you have a 20 dollar bill, doesn't mean you need 20 cheeseburgers.

The same applies to WoW.

Can't keep track of time while at the Computer?

Invest in a Five Dollar Timer.

It's people like you that force feed us all these stupid regulations and take away the few legal pleasures out there just because you can't practice self control.

Sorry to hear about your brother- But I won't sacrifice my pleasures because someone can't practice self control.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but this is getting to be Trivial.

Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 11-07-08 at 03:04 PM.
    11-07-08 02:59 PM
    it wasn't the motorcycle it was the speed at which i was traveling i was doin 60 in a 25
    Then shame on you.
    11-07-08 04:58 PM
    Personal responsibility is dead.

That, and the ability to use the English language in a way that doesn't make you sound like a total moron.

Luvitlo, your brother is a moron. It's a game. Plenty of people can play it and continue to have lives. It's not anyone but your brother's fault that he doesn't have the personal discipline to put the game down. Tough.
    11-07-08 05:42 PM
    The really sad thing about this story, is it's about a "MAN" aka ADULT. And where I live that happens to be from the age of 18, as far as signing contracts, being sued and going to jail.

Luvitlo, I don't know you or your brother, but I have a feeling that he's told you more than once to keep your nose out of his life and his choices in it. As a man he's allowed to do. So if this man, who happens to be your brother, wants to play games and waste his life doing it (as you see it), then there is not much that you can do about it. This is the land of opportunity, but only for those that want to make the effort. And as you stated earlier, his .04 gpa shows that he's does not want or care to make the effort.

Too bad you think that his parent's upbringing didn't stick well enough for him to have better habits. Because if all it took was a few friends to get him to pay for and get hooked on a game, then I feel sorry for him, because he's going to be a "follower" his entire life. And it's much easier to follow others into a game, drink or drugs than to go to school or do a little work as possible to pay for it and his basic needs. And if he's living with his family (mom and dad) and doing this, way past time for someone to pull the plug on the internet.
    11-07-08 09:06 PM
    WoW is very addictive.

Not that I know from experience or anything like that........

Bottom line is that it's still a choice.
    11-07-08 09:20 PM
    Hm. If a video game was taking over my life, and my grades were suffering from it...
    My parents would have put an end to it, immediately.
    My Nintendo was always being taken away from me (yes, I'm old... lol)
    Not faulting your parents or anything.
    Just because you're brother acts this way doesn't mean that the game needs to be banned.

With that being said...
    Reading your post gave me a headache.
    11-07-08 11:52 PM
    A person with additictive personality will become addicted to anything! Period!
    11-07-08 11:54 PM

Mcdonalds makes you Fat.

It Brainwashes children to crave it.

Should we ban it?

No.

You should have the Moral, and Intellectual Fortitude to decide, and eat it with moderation.

Just because there's a dollar menu, and you have a 20 dollar bill, doesn't mean you need 20 cheeseburgers.
    Yo! I had a quarter pounder with cheese last night in East Orange....mmmmmm.
    11-08-08 09:51 AM
    Personal responsibility is dead.

That, and the ability to use the English language in a way that doesn't make you sound like a total moron.

Luvitlo, your brother is a moron. It's a game. Plenty of people can play it and continue to have lives. It's not anyone but your brother's fault that he doesn't have the personal discipline to put the game down. Tough.
    I wholeheartedly agree with 1 & 2.

Re: #3, no need to downplay anyone's mental capacity. I know from personal experience with my own brother that addiction more about the addict than the substance or behavior they are addicted to. More laws and/or bans are not the answer.
    11-08-08 11:16 AM
    well my brother found out about WoW mobile and he is against it he says all the little kids at school will be doing what they do all summer and once school lets out and that is attack entire cities and wipe out the shops and quest people he says it will be ok if WoW only allows it for inventory updates but if thay opt actual playing then it gonna make the game lag and not be worth the price per month so maybe you other WoW addicts need to reevaluate and boycott with me my brother the top ADDICT of WoW is even on my side so hahahahahahahahahahahaha
    11-08-08 11:29 AM
    Just like anything.. people who boycott and protest things... only make things even more popular and bring it to the attention of those whom have never heard of it possibly... Always happens with videogames, music, etc... it gets protested, boycotted or whatever.. makes the thing more popular usually.
    11-08-08 12:18 PM
    well my brother found out about WoW mobile and he is against it he says all the little kids at school will be doing what they do all summer and once school lets out and that is attack entire cities and wipe out the shops and quest people he says it will be ok if WoW only allows it for inventory updates but if thay opt actual playing then it gonna make the game lag and not be worth the price per month so maybe you other WoW addicts need to reevaluate and boycott with me my brother the top ADDICT of WoW is even on my side so hahahahahahahahahahahaha
    From what I have seen of the talk about the WoW mobile feature, is it will be a CHAT app for cells phones, allowing people to log into their accounts and chat to their friends, just like they would do on Yahoo or AIM, just using the WoW servers to find, ping and chat with people they know in the game, while out and about.

As far as I know no sort of game play would be even possible, unless you had an Alienware cell phone the size of a laptop (hummm... fliptop or slider).
    So your "brother", is now the lead protester for not wanting people to CHAT with WoW pals using their cell phones, and he came out of his room long enough to tell you all this? Guess he feels if there is no actual game play via the cell phone it's a waste of his free time?

I'm smelling troll doo doo, or is that topic bait that has gone bad?
    Last edited by BlkBear; 11-08-08 at 01:54 PM.
    11-08-08 01:40 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD