Meet Sudan, a 40-year-old male northern white rhino.

More specifically, Sudan is the last male northern white rhino left on earth.

Sudan and two females, Najin and Fatu, live together in captivity in Ol Pejeta Conservancy, a wildlife sanctuary in central Kenya. As the world's last remaining male northern white rhino, Sudan occupies an exceedingly delicate position in the animal kingdom: Without him, the subspecies will completely die out, which is why he's on 24-hour armed guard to prevent poachers from capturing him.

The Independent reports Sudan is equipped with radio transmitters to track his whereabouts for heightened security. Elodie Sampr, the conservancy's marketing manager, told the Dodo that he had his horn removed as a precaution to deter potential poachers. Rhino horns are highly sought after by poachers; they sell for enormous sums in Asia, where they're thought to cure "everything from hangovers to cancer," according to National Geographic.

"If the rhino has no horn, he is of no interest to poachers," Sampr told the Dodo. "This is purely to keep him safe."
    Full Article: The World's Last Male Rhino of His Kind Is Being Kept Under Armed Guard 24 Hours a Day - Mic

Donate to support the Rangers and Ol Pejeta Conservancy:
    Keep the Rhino Rangers Safe by Rob Breare - GoFundMe
    04-13-15 04:40 PM
    I think that everyone should pick a cause to support. Be it humanitarian, wildlife, environmental, etc. it doesn't matter if you are rich, poor or in between.

My cause is Rhino Conservation, which a lot of people find unique. It is...until you read articles like this. It is completely false that rhino horns have ANY medical benefits, yet the demand keeps rising by uninformed people. Poachers will stop at nothing to get their payday - even if it means wiping out an entire species.

Adrian Steirn is a very well-known conservationist and photographer who recently made this film. It isn't a Northern White, but it is the same thing that happens to all 5 species (and their respective sub-species) across Africa and Asia. I highly encourage you to donate something, anything to Ol Pejeta and/or other conservation organizations. Whether you donate or not, this video should be seen across the globe.

WARNING: Graphic content

anon(9088244) likes this.
    04-13-15 04:41 PM
    Fun update:

Over 6k have been raised in the past 24hrs alone! Please continue to donate and spread the word! This is an amazing cause and 100% of the money goes straight to the protection/resources for safeguarding the rhinos.

God bless!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-14-15 12:57 PM
    I know a lot of people are "watching in the wings," so to speak and not commenting here, so I do want to update everyone!

When I started this thread, approximately 8,000 pounds had been raised...today ALMOST 45,000 pounds have been raised! WOW! Great job and I appreciate everyone who has helped donate, big or small. Please continue as we are still a ways to our 75,000 pound goal.

Thank you for continuing to donate/share the page! God bless...
    04-16-15 09:36 AM
    Cash incoming.

This new saddens me but it also makes me happy considering how much security they've put to save the subspecies.

Follow me on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/Jxmboree/
    donmateo likes this.
    04-16-15 11:34 AM
    Much appreciated! It is horrible that there is such a desperate need to protect something that's been here longer than us. Thank you for your help!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 12:01 PM
    Donmateo can you post the link where I can donate? Thanks
    04-16-15 06:16 PM
    Donmateo can you post the link where I can donate? Thanks
    Aloofkid, please see the bottom of the original post (in bold) for the GoFundMe link which is an Official Ol Pejeta link.

Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 06:37 PM
    It's very sad that it comes to this and a very worthy cause that you and others are supporting. I'd rather see the poachers hunted down and put to extinction. Thanks for bringing attention to it!

And I did donate, not a lot since I was just laid off from my job.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 04-16-15 at 07:42 PM. Reason: add
    donmateo and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    04-16-15 06:43 PM
    Appreciate any donation and spreading the word! Means a lot! Sorry to hear about the job; I hope you get employed again soon. God bless!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-16-15 10:39 PM
    Happy Monday! Hope everyone had a great weekend. We have just crossed the 60,000 pound mark for fundraising! Please continue to donate/share to help give the rangers the tools and resources they need to protect all the rhinos at Ol Pejeta!

Keep the Rhino Rangers Safe by Rob Breare - GoFundMe

Here's some great info from an interview done by the WSJ. It is with the CEO of Ol Pejeta, who discusses the situation and plan moving forward. It's a quick 5 minute video. Thank you to everyone who has and continues to share/donate!!

kbz1960 likes this.
    04-20-15 07:17 PM
    I'm assuming they've stored sperm samples and have impregnated the two females??? I might be missing it but where is the plan to replenish the population???

Otherwise this is a death watch for the species and the money is going to delay the inevitable???
    04-20-15 09:37 PM
    I'm assuming they've stored sperm samples and have impregnated the two females??? I might be missing it but where is the plan to replenish the population???

Otherwise this is a death watch for the species and the money is going to delay the inevitable???
    Have you read or watched any of the content above? All of that is explained. The 5 minute WSJ video has a very good explanation to answer all of your questions straight from the CEO of Ol Pejeta.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 08:43 AM
    It is a sad world we live in. 70 Million a quarter iPhones and 1 rhino.
    donmateo and kbz1960 like this.
    04-21-15 09:33 AM
    Bump!

Since folks were asking, here is the direct link to the Make A Rhino fund. More info at link, but essentially the funds support the study and implementation of saving the species with invitro.

https://www.gofundme.com/makearhino
    01-04-16 09:00 AM
    Isn't he dead now?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-16 12:28 PM
    Nope, funding is still critical! Please donate and spread the word!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 09:21 PM
    Will the last remaining blackberry user be kept under armed guard...so he can't visit an Apple Store?
    bajaa likes this.
    03-04-16 01:05 PM
    Will the last remaining blackberry user be kept under armed guard...so he can't visit an Apple Store?
    Nope he would be snipped..instantly.! If he lays his eyes on Anything but BlackBerry. -Golgo 13

Posted via CB10
    03-06-16 01:44 PM