I'm preparing my computer to be donated. If I reformat/reinstall OS, is that sufficient, as far as completely removing data? Do I need to use some type of hard drive "cleaner"? If so, which do I do first? I'm assuming I would wipe/clean the drive, then reinstall the OS.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    10-27-10 10:44 AM
    Cleaner/ultility program is your best bet, and yes you use that first. In all likely hood you are fine with just a format, BUT if you want peace of mind get a ultility or disk wiping program.
    10-27-10 11:24 AM
    Thanks, PK

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-10 12:21 PM
    Here's a file shredder that's free and does a good job. You can shred your disk, then format and install the new OS and feel pretty confident that your data is safe.

File Shredder
    10-27-10 12:42 PM
    Thanks trucky!

10-27-10 01:27 PM
    Or you could just use the format option when installing the OS. Saves time and money.

10-28-10 08:48 AM
    Formatting is not the same as wiping by a long shot. Formatting will leave data intact and easily retrievable if someone wanted to. Wiping isn't perfect and takes a while to do, but makes it harder for someone to recover data from it.

Hard drives are cheap these days, buy a $30 hard drive and use that, keep the old one and physically open the old one up and destroy the platters.
    10-28-10 11:02 AM
    You're right. Formatting and wiping are not the same. Unless you are going to do a three pass DoD wipe it doesn't matter. Besides, the average person shouldn't worry that much.

Your right, a new HD is cheap. If you're that paranoid then just do what you said, open it up and destroy it.

10-28-10 12:18 PM
    Putting it in the microwave destroys it, I did it with a non-functioning HDD.

10-31-10 04:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD