I could not believe it when I woke up, and my pc was on, or it appeared to be...

I moved the mouse, and nothing happed, just an amber light on the monitor. I could still hear that the pc was on. So, I held the power button, to turn it off...

Once it was off, I could not power it on. Remove the power cord, tried other power outlets (albeit it was connected to an APC), and still no luck...

Now am getting mad! After extensive troubleshooting, I found out my power supply died. So, I scrambled to get another one; and connected it. After an hour of so, I could not get my C drive (60GB IDE drive) to boot into Windows Vista. After checking to make sure everything had power, correctly, I realised Vista, or something killed my power supply, and my C drive. Of course neither are under warranty!

Thank God for spares. I had a spare 120GB drive, and quickly installed it, and loaded Win XP on it. Why on earth did I ever buy Windows Vista Home Premium (first OS I've EVER bought)? Now I have a $259.99 DVD sitting there, looking at me...
    I work in I.T. been doing it for far too long. I should really have known better, but since I have such a powerful pc, that passed all the Vista checks, I thought, why not...

Nonetheless, I went online today, and realised that lots of people have had the SAME issue.

Anyway, this is my moan for the day...
    03-06-07 09:57 AM
    And that is why I have stayed away from upgrading. XP has been working fine for me, so why mess with it. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
    03-06-07 10:18 AM
    I am actually in computer sales and all the new units ship with Vista preloaded...I am definitly not upgrading to Vista for at least a year due to certain incompatibilities with software. My laptop has Vista but it is only used for travelling and net access so no worries there. Sorry to hear your woes Nav, hope all goes well from here on...lol...
    03-06-07 09:20 PM
    ...all is better now. New power supply, and a new C drive (120GB Samsung Spinpoint) with Windows XP SP2, and all 87 updates installed...

So far so good. I just won't bother with Vista, unless am buying a new pc. A shame really, I now have a Vista box sitting here with a Best Buy sticker price on it of $259.99 - almost like adding insult to injury...
    03-06-07 09:38 PM
    painful--take the box out of site

...all is better now. New power supply, and a new C drive (120GB Samsung Spinpoint) with Windows XP SP2, and all 87 updates installed...

So far so good. I just won't bother with Vista, unless am buying a new pc. A shame really, I now have a Vista box sitting here with a Best Buy sticker price on it of $259.99 - almost like adding insult to injury...
    03-06-07 09:58 PM
    Further evidence as to why I'd sell my sole before I sell my Mac!
    03-07-07 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD