Hey guys,

So you know, Universities give huge discounts on OS stuff and releases to students early. Windows 7 is being sold at $34 for upgrade, do you think I should get it? Is it not worth it yet, since I heard a lot of software is not yet compatible with it?

Thanks for your opinions!
    10-15-09 12:53 AM
    34 is cheap
    Better then spending $300 retail..

Im upgradeing my desktop right now to make it run window 7.
    need to get 2 gb of ram right now.
    just installed a new graphic card.
    10-15-09 01:40 AM
    Every OS is shipped broken, hence the updates. Buy it for the 34 and put it in a drawer. Wait 6 months then install it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 02:20 AM
    Windows 7 Doesn't need the 6 Month wait,

I've been running Windows 7 on my travelling laptop since March, no dual booting, exlcusive windows 7, and let me tell you, I hate booting up my windows XP machine now

Windows 7 at beta was refined and working well,
    Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 is great, very few issues, all of which had been resolved through updates.

I can't wait to get my hands on Windows 7 Disks to move all my computers to Windows 7. it is the first windows OS I actually am excited about, XP was nice, but it wasn't anything to be excited about over Win2k
    10-15-09 03:31 AM
    Ive been running 7 RTM since it hit technet a couple months back, and overall Im happier with it than vista.

Theres are a few small annoyances (where me free space in my status bar microsoft?!) but overall its great.

People telling you that not a lot of software is compatible have no idea what they are talking about, Ive yet to come across any software than ran under vista that didnt with 7.

Also if you have a CPU which supports virtualization you run XP mode for any older apps that don't run properly.
    10-15-09 08:27 AM
    Every OS is shipped broken, hence the updates. Buy it for the 34 and put it in a drawer. Wait 6 months then install it!

This is exactly what i'm doing... Im getting a �30 Student version and putting it away until at least one service pack has been released...
    10-15-09 08:29 AM
    This is exactly what i'm doing... Im getting a �30 Student version and putting it away until at least one service pack has been released...
    Have you even tried the RTM?
    10-15-09 08:48 AM
    Not tried it yet... Its just the process i go through with every operating system...
    10-15-09 08:53 AM
    In software that doesn't work can be fixed with the XP machine they give for free.

Unless your system doesn't support virtualization.
    10-15-09 10:27 AM
    I am running it on the wife's laptop which is less than a year old in 64 bit mode, install was quick and painless, all drivers auto detected and installed.

Normally I would agree with the sentiments of waiting for the first service pack for any MS O/S but this is effectively Vista with fixes to security and performance. It is far better than Vista and performs on par with XP.
    10-15-09 10:46 AM
    I suppose... But i've heard that it struggles to support some games etc... Anyone tried gaming on it yet?
    10-15-09 10:48 AM
    I suppose... But i've heard that it struggles to support some games etc... Anyone tried gaming on it yet?
    I dont play PC games personally (have a 360 for that), but have a read through this article: Windows 7 vs Vista VGA game performance
    10-15-09 11:04 AM
    Thanks for the above... Might just get it and install it when its released over here on the 22nd...

Theres just some games that can't be played on a console tho...
    10-15-09 11:08 AM
    I have played. Age of Empires, it does get pixelly but what do you expect from a 10 year old game, stronghold, sacred 2, Worms World party all play fine, I don't do FPS games so I can't say for them.

10-15-09 03:13 PM
    Do they have a retail price for full or upgrade??? yet
    10-15-09 03:37 PM
    Thanks guys, I just installed it ^-^ and upgraded it so it kept all files, programs, etc.
    10-15-09 06:43 PM
    I've been running 7 for a few months now and love it. Every program I had installed on Vista works on 7. I've played Crysis, NFS Shift, and COD 1 without any problems. I'm definitely going to buy it but may wait until March as the eval copy will work until March and then it will start shutting it self down every 2 hours.
    10-15-09 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD