I wouldn't touch a OS7 device. Some people are such hypocrites. If another company was pulling this crap with renaming the OS from 6.1 to 7 or release this "new" OS with a different one coming along shortly, you all would be talking a lot of crap. The playbook doesn't have native PIM functions but somehow that's irrelevant but "iPad doesn't have flash" is still a criticism. Just doesn't make any sense. OS7 is nothing but a stop gap and we all know it. It offers no significant benefits over OS6 that warrants the cost especially when QNX is around the corner. Only people that are buying these are diehards that buy anything RIM makes and people that don't know when QNX is coming.
    Thank you. Someone needed to say it!
    08-04-11 02:55 PM
    My Storm2 has served me well has apps I use (podtrapper, lastpass, poynt, kindle, audio, Facebook, twitter, weather bug, amazon mp3, ESPN) and works. Browser not very good. I will be one of the suckers who gets the new Torch touch. I like suretype for typing and going from OS 5 to OS "7" I will see huge gains on the browser my 2 year renewal will be up this fall.

My thought is we are not sure when QNX will be out next year and being version 1 I will give it some time to bake in. Also the next 2 years will determine if I stay on BlackBerry or move to another platform, and it is the little things BlackBerry does well that keeps me. Also my organization uses the BlackBerry Server Express which adds more functionality and security.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    08-04-11 03:11 PM
    I wouldn't touch a OS7 device. Some people are such hypocrites. If another company was pulling this crap with renaming the OS from 6.1 to 7 or release this "new" OS with a different one coming along shortly, you all would be talking a lot of crap. The playbook doesn't have native PIM functions but somehow that's irrelevant but "iPad doesn't have flash" is still a criticism. Just doesn't make any sense. OS7 is nothing but a stop gap and we all know it. It offers no significant benefits over OS6 that warrants the cost especially when QNX is around the corner. Only people that are buying these are diehards that buy anything RIM makes and people that don't know when QNX is coming.
    Yeah so what's your point??? Wait or buy an iphone or android?

I'm glad we all like different things. I'm not glad that people who like different things can't believe some would actually like some thing else.

You're right about the playbook/ipad thing but what do you expect on a bb fan site? The majority of people being apple fans? It's probably the opposite on an apple site but I wouldn't know since I have no reason to go there.
    08-04-11 03:14 PM
    With all due respect....

"Who cares which device is better? Isn't all that matters is that it's the best one for you?"
    jimpilot, homer1475 and nuangel2 like this.
    08-04-11 03:15 PM
    With all due respect....

"Who cares which device is better? Isn't all that matters is that it's the best one for you?"
    +2!!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    08-04-11 03:17 PM
    Yes think carefully.
    Im currently stuck with the 8520.
    Which cant even get OS 6.
    Wish somebody could strip it down of unnecessary features and get it into the 8520 at least, or make a ultimate Hybrid of it!

Get a 3G Curve at least If your looking basic.
    I should have got one but rushed into buying a Blackberry!
    sergesc likes this.
    08-04-11 03:17 PM
    I upgrade my BB about once a year. When QNX phones come out and there are enough of the apps I use (still waiting for playbook to have those apps) I'll upgrade again. But now I want a 9930 if for no other reason because, as said earlier in this thread, we are not promised tomorrow.

The argument of don't buy because newer technology is comming is for sure chasing your tail.
    08-04-11 03:30 PM
    Obviously if somebody has moved on to another platform, chances are that they're not too excited about the new OS7 phones since they're already sporting what they perceive to be a comparable (or perhaps better, but that's another can o worms) device.

But who cares if OS7 is a stopgap until QNX phones hit the shelves? It'll be a year before anybody sees the QNX phones. The fact remains that these new OS7 devices are leaps and bounds better than the current BBs available, and there's a huge amount of people waiting to upgrade (millions actually).

Barring any major as yet unrevealed flaws to the devices, RIM is going to sell boatloads of these phones, and millions of BB users are going to be very happy with their upgrades.

Let BB users rejoice and enjoy their new devices. Kicking them and praising another platform is just conceit in its barest form.
    southlander, grover5 and nuangel2 like this.
    08-04-11 03:33 PM
    The fact remains that these new OS7 devices are leaps and bounds better than the current BBs available
    This is arguable. I do think they are better but certainly not "leaps and bounds" better. And I agree a lot of people been waiting for new blackberries for a long time and this will suit them just well. But acting as if they are something so groundbreaking and way better than current BBs is a bit overstated. Part of the reason they are anticipated by a lot of diehards is the fact that RIM hasn't released a phone in a long time and they won't buy anything but a blackberry, not that they are so much better than current blackberries. Looking at the entire mobile space, they are meaningless. And that's an unfortunate truth for RIM until QNX comes.
    08-04-11 03:55 PM
    "But if you're looking to do more than simple e-mail and Web browsing, BlackBerry may not be your best bet."

Lol. RIM addresses one of the biggest complaints -- the browsing experience. So now great web browsing is not a big deal because, well now it's all about apps of course.
    08-04-11 04:04 PM
    Barring any major as yet unrevealed flaws to the devices, RIM is going to sell boatloads of these phones, and millions of BB users are going to be very happy with their upgrades.
    Exactly. For the first time, when someone walks into a carrier store and tries out a BB phone, they are going to think WOW this thing is fast. That means a lot.
    08-04-11 04:07 PM
    What you don't seem to grasp is that these phones are for OS5 users.

These phones are the upgrade from your OS4 and OS5 device, they can't call it OS6.1 because of the confusion as to why OS6 devices can't use the OS due to hardware limitations, so the nomenclature was to reduce confusion as much as rebranding a rebirth of a higher spec'd line of devices.

I don't hold off my Purchase of a Car because I know next year the same model will be 10% more fuel efficient, I don't hold off buying my laptop because in 6 months their will be a better one, those people who say they wont buy because QNX is around the corner are the hypocrites as I am sure they do not buy the latest and greatest of every technology.

I plan to upgrade my OS6 device to this OS7 device, and then my OS7 device to a QNX device, because I upgrade yearly, EVERY DEVICE is a stop gap solution before the next one, you just have to pick how big the gap is.
    08-04-11 04:10 PM
    This is arguable. I do think they are better but certainly not "leaps and bounds" better. And I agree a lot of people been waiting for new blackberries for a long time and this will suit them just well. But acting as if they are something so groundbreaking and way better than current BBs is a bit overstated. Part of the reason they are anticipated by a lot of diehards is the fact that RIM hasn't released a phone in a long time and they won't buy anything but a blackberry, not that they are so much better than current blackberries. Looking at the entire mobile space, they are meaningless. And that's an unfortunate truth for RIM until QNX comes.
    wtf?

double the processing speed, 33-50% increased memory size, higher resolution screens, included touch interface on qwerty devices, ALL touchscreen device, voice activated search, smooth scrolling, OpenGL.

how is this NOT leaps and bounds, you are just being excessively negative.
    08-04-11 04:13 PM
    Why you should think twice about buying a new BlackBerry....see below link...

Why you should think twice about buying a new BlackBerry | Wireless - CNET News
    I will buy what I want to buy. You can let other people tell you what to do. Thanks
    08-04-11 04:22 PM
    wtf?

double the processing speed, 33-50% increased memory size, higher resolution screens, included touch interface on qwerty devices, ALL touchscreen device, voice activated search, smooth scrolling, OpenGL.

It sounds as though you're admitting to the obvious inferiority of the current lineup.
    wtf?

+1000 some people will never stop crying.
    It sounds as though you're admitting to the obvious inferiority of the current lineup.
    yuk yuk, wow your jonny on the spot.
    inferior to who, not everything is a exact replica of the next, some people want different things from a phone. Not every one needs to go around bashing to make a point, like yourself.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 08-04-11 at 04:28 PM.
    08-04-11 04:24 PM
    Looks like you've joined CrackBerry purely to stir the pot.

There is no denying the existing line up's hardware is not cutting edge, that doesn't negate it's quality, nor does it make it any less valuable.

I welcome improvements to the BlackBerry Line as long as it doesn't sacrifice what they already do well, these devices look to NOT be sacrificing the good for the sake of Internal components.
    08-04-11 04:37 PM
    yuk yuk, wow your jonny on the spot.
    inferior to who, not everything is a exact replica of the next, some people want different things from a phone. Not every one needs to go around bashing to make a point, like yourself.
    Actually, over the last couple of cycles, BlackBerrys have been almost exact replicas of their previous models. That's been one of the main criticisms.
    trsbbs likes this.
    08-04-11 04:38 PM
    Looks like you've joined CrackBerry purely to stir the pot.

There is no denying the existing line up's hardware is not cutting edge, that doesn't negate it's quality, nor does it make it any less valuable.

I welcome improvements to the BlackBerry Line as long as it doesn't sacrifice what they already do well, these devices look to NOT be sacrificing the good for the sake of Internal components.
    I'm curious to see if the battery life is as good as is being reported. Essentially it seems the Android manufacturers have not been able to get good battery life with equal or lesser processors as the one's in the new OS 7 line up. That is impressive to me if it turns out to be true. I'm glad to hear BB still considers battery life to be an important "spec".
    08-04-11 04:44 PM
    ... 33-50% increased memory size ...
    Hi deRussett - just wanted to point out that the increased memory is pretty useless as the app memory partition still remains. Removing that would have been "leaps and bounds"!

Just as a side comment, I agree these phones are "leaps and bounds" ahead of other Berries. They're just not "leaps and bounds" ahead of other high end smartphones.

- R.
    08-04-11 05:20 PM
    Hi deRussett - just wanted to point out that the increased memory is pretty useless as the app memory partition still remains. Removing that would have been "leaps and bounds"!

Just as a side comment, I agree these phones are "leaps and bounds" ahead of other Berries. They're just not "leaps and bounds" ahead of other high end smartphones.

- R.
    The Original quote was they are leaps and bounds above existing BB's
    No manufacturer that makes both the OS and the Hardware will have Leaps and bounds over those who make only hardware, the development time is just not available.

EDIT

I forgot to comment to your belief that the added memory is useless, I greatly disagree since there is also an increase in App Memory, and I make great use of my current device memory, doubling that is a welcome addition for MY usage,
    Last edited by deRusett; 08-04-11 at 05:35 PM.
    08-04-11 05:28 PM
    Yes who cares if OS 7 will be replaced in a year. When I bought my 2010 Ford Focus I already knew that in 2012 a much nicer Focus was coming. But guess what, my Focus still does everything I need it to do and well at that. Not as pretty looking or quit as fuel efficient as the new Focus, but nothing earth shattering.

Same with BB's, I still have a Curve 8520 with OS 5, and it does everything I need fine. My daughter has a 9800 Torch and though she technically has twice the available performance, she does nothing faster or more than I do. Only thing that sucks is that I am on Rogers Edge network, not their 3G.

Yes it will be nice to have a phone with a fast processor, more memory, a fast touch interface as well as a great hardware keyboard. But in fact the best thing I look forward too is being on a HSPA+ network Otherwise I will be doing the same things I do now on my Curve and using the same apps.

So all that matters is if the phone is going to do the things YOU need it to do, it doesn't matter if the OS will some day become obsolete, people are still using winXP too and love it. A device is only obsolete when it stops being able to do what the end user needs it to do.....

CS
    Nikeem24 and nuangel2 like this.
    08-04-11 05:57 PM
    Right now; I'm not worried about QNX outdating my 9900. Why? Let's assume a QNX handset is released mid 2012... when will it get a library of apps?

For me; the 9900 will easily get me through until a QNX handset AND apps are ready for primetime.
    08-04-11 06:17 PM
    I almost want to start of list of Stupid "reporters" "bloggers"

Why The heck even write an article that you lead off with

end article, you shouldn't even be writing.
    It's the same kind of brainwashing the govt uses. People absorb so much media at a high rate of speed that many people have become accustomed to reading the title and inventing the story in their heads. Then they come to places like Crackberry and parrot all the twisted versions of reality and next thing you know,,,,, It's a parrot convention.

Those dang Blackberry's are so far behind. Did you see that new Netflix app? Yeah,,, You can play movies on your Android.
    08-04-11 06:34 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD