Firstly from the get go I want to make it quite clear this is a question and not a statement

I travel alot and generally have noticed when none native people/relatives have immigrated they call themselves in general the nation they are in then thier tradittional background...i.e. a British Asian or a Dutch Chinese.

I understand this as some of those may have never been to thier parents or grandparents country of origin

However in America it's the reverse and I've not experienced this anywhere else some say African American, Irish American even though most Americans are very patriotic and even though many have never visited the country they claim first in several generations

Does anyone know how this come about? just a question that come to mind amongst many others
    07-23-09 11:23 AM
    Why is everyone whatever they are?

Why do I still consider myself Cuban when I was born here?

Why do 3-4 generation Italians still consider themselves italians?

And what is the difference between Afro Americans and African Americans?

I don't think there is one set answer-

Of course the generic one will be that they still closely resonate with that aspect of their "mother" culture.

Especially since immigrants **brought** their culture to a **"cultureless"** nation.

Their is very little American "Culture" has to offer, besides fireworks and turkeys...
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 07-23-09 at 11:29 AM.
    07-23-09 11:25 AM
    im half german and half polish but i just go by "white" cuz its easier. plus i really didnt know alot of my immigrant relatives, im 3 generations in of living in america.

plus i dont think my family likes to talk much about how our family came to be.
    (german+polish+1940's=_________)
    07-23-09 11:31 AM
    german+polish+1940's= mutant cybernetically enhanced chipmunk-man with jetpack?
    07-23-09 11:34 AM
    german+polish+1940's= mutant cybernetically enhanced chipmunk-man with jetpack?
    shhhhh... i told you we dont like to talk about it!
    07-23-09 11:45 AM
    Well, I'm a Mexican American because my dad was a Mexican and my mom was an American. Thus I have both nationalities. That's fair, wouldn't you say? :P
    07-23-09 09:01 PM
    Well, I'm a Mexican American because my dad was a Mexican and my mom was an American. Thus I have both nationalities. That's fair, wouldn't you say? :P
    Sorry but American is not a nationality.
    07-23-09 09:06 PM
    I'm Canadian.
    Both my Parents are British Born, but I am Canadian, ONLY time I would mention British is when people say " Are you Italian" or "Are you French" then I say, I'm Canadian but my parents are Brits.

I don't under stand this trying to hold onto artificial ties to another country within your own distinction.

NOW if you carry 2 Nationalities, THEN I can see being both. but really a 3rd Generation Black man is not African American, he his simply American, no need for a differentiation.
    07-23-09 09:07 PM

I suppose "American" is the same as "European"

And the Canadians are Like the Brits,
    The UK is in Europe, but no Brit wants to be Called European, just like Canada is in America, but we would hate to be called Americans
    07-23-09 09:09 PM
    Well then, let me perfectly clear, through my 3rd generation hands. I am a United States of American!
    07-23-09 09:21 PM
    lol at the person who said american is not a nationality. i was born in The USA and so was my parents and grandparents, which makes me an american. It's common sense right?
    07-23-09 09:58 PM
    lol at the person who said american is not a nationality. i was born in The USA and so was my parents and grandparents, which makes me an american. It's common sense right?

It depends, though I tend to Agree with you, one could say that American is the term for people who reside within the continent of America, as there is no country named America, but in fact, United States of America, as mentioned in another post American is equivalent to European. THIS point gives the poster a arguable defense to his statement that American is not a Nationality, though I do not know how one would describe what we refer to as American.

"US American" maybe?
    07-24-09 06:12 AM
    Plain and simple, both my parents are from Mexico, have lived in the States for well over 30 years and I was born in the good ole US of A, thus making me Mexican American. Simple as that!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 06:27 AM
    Firstly from the get go I want to make it quite clear this is a question and not a statement

I travel alot and generally have noticed when none native people/relatives have immigrated they call themselves in general the nation they are in then thier tradittional background...i.e. a British Asian or a Dutch Chinese.

I understand this as some of those may have never been to thier parents or grandparents country of origin

However in America it's the reverse and I've not experienced this anywhere else some say African American, Irish American even though most Americans are very patriotic and even though many have never visited the country they claim first in several generations

Does anyone know how this come about? just a question that come to mind amongst many others

it appears people are not understanding your point here.

the British Chinese in this example is a Chinese person living in Briton.
    but an Irish American, is a Irish Person living in America.

the distinction of heritage vs nationality is reversed in America.

why is that?
    07-24-09 07:27 AM
    I'm Canadian.
    Both my Parents are British Born, but I am Canadian, ONLY time I would mention British is when people say " Are you Italian" or "Are you French" then I say, I'm Canadian but my parents are Brits.

I don't under stand this trying to hold onto artificial ties to another country within your own distinction.

NOW if you carry 2 Nationalities, THEN I can see being both. but really a 3rd Generation Black man is not African American, he his simply American, no need for a differentiation.
    I agree. Black Americans often refer to ourselves as "African-American", and I don't see the big deal. I do it, from time to time and I don't expect folks to get too analytical with it.
    07-24-09 08:58 AM
    I hear African American, and Afro American...

Is it the same thing? I've never found out, and I've always been to scared to ask.
    07-24-09 10:14 AM
    I think some have either missread or missunderstood the question originally posted so I'll try it another way

For example..you were born in America as were your parents and their parents. In fact your familly were born in America for several generations with none of them or you ever having visited say Africa/Italy/Ireland etc

So with no personal knowledge of any other country than America why do you place America as second in your personal description

African American for example..why isn't it an American African
    07-24-09 10:31 AM
    I hear African American, and Afro American...

Is it the same thing? I've never found out, and I've always been to scared to ask.
    For fear of...what?
    07-24-09 10:38 AM
    I don't know-

I just don't want to offend, seem insensitive, or even "un-pc" or something.

It's probably just me being stupid.
    07-24-09 10:42 AM
    Did I read that right prada afraid to offend? The world has gone completely mad, Armageddon has come, repent repent! Save your souls!

07-24-09 10:45 AM
    For me this is one of the biggest problems with this country.
    We for some reason feel the need to self segregate by way of
    hyphens.

Regardless of my race or heritage, I am an American.
    That does not need a qualifier.
    07-24-09 10:57 AM
    exactly. i live in america, therefore i am american.
    i dont consider myself a polish-american, or german-american. im just american.
    07-24-09 11:02 AM
    I never use a racial moniker is on the census, and that's just to annoy "The Man". I always write in Hebrew.

07-24-09 11:09 AM
    Did I read that right prada afraid to offend? The world has gone completely mad, Armageddon has come, repent repent! Save your souls!
    Hahaha...

I'm not that bad!
    07-24-09 11:18 AM
    Like I said earlier, I'm Mexican-American and I'm proud to call myself that! I'm Mexican first, American second.

These racial discussions can go on forever, no matter how many times you explain yourself and your thinking. Therefore, I won't elaborate anymore cause I know what I say will get taken out of context, no matter how I word it.

07-24-09 11:25 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD