Was just at a High School reunion and many were astounded a techie like me didn't have a FB account.

I just don't get why.

Anyone able to explain the value of having a Facebook or Twitter account for a 40+ year old family man?
    10-24-10 05:54 PM
    I use it to stay in touch with band members, set up rehearsals and discuss gigs, stay in communication with family members I moved away from. One thing I see that amazes me is people telling everyone when they will be gone for the weekend or on vacation. Bad idea. CNN reported on a woman about a month ago in Indiana who posted that she was going out for the evening and two guys from her friend list who she went to school with and lived in the neighborhood burglarized her house and were recorded on the laptop camera. If I still lived in Seattle I probably wouldn't have a Facebook page at all. Just a bit too frivolous for me, otherwise.
    10-24-10 07:26 PM
    unless you're still living where you grew up and see alot of the same old friends on a regular basis then i can see why you wouldn't need FB. (i don't twitter because i'm not vain enough to think masses of people would want to follow me and i don't just add anyone on FB either just to get a high count of friends- i hate those "collectors") but i moved from where i went to school and i use FB to keep in touch with all my friends i grew up with in NC. i also have family on there- gawd forbid i get on FB and NOT add them...- and i have the occasional customer from the shop on there as well. but for the most part it's just an easy way to keep in touch and find those good old friends who otherwise fade away into memory...of course i don't accept SOME friend requests because, well, some "friends" just need to stay a distant memory!
    10-25-10 09:41 AM
    Facebook is an awesome way to keep in touch with family and close friends. It is family oriented and safe. I was on MySpace for years and i'm sure you've heard all the bad things about them. It was fun for awhile, but its not family oriented and there was just so much drama. I moved out of state so I can keep in touch with my parents, siblings and many other friends from high school that I never see anymore. It's great. Now as for twitter? I have a twitter account but it seems more logical for teenagers to have them because I am rarely on there and I see so many tweets from younger people and I rarely ever tweet. I just get bored sometimes.
    10-25-10 10:03 AM
    Facebook is a nice way to stay in contact with friends and Family, Twitter is a okay to keep a sense of privacy.

but honestly... Facebook + Twitter = Screaming with no one listening.

I have a Twitter account, But i must be onto something NPR follows me..... lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-10 10:17 AM
    Few people found me on FB, people which i never thought I'll see again (army friends from all parts of country, didn't know their address, didn't hear about them for more then 10 years, guys from high school, primary school - more then 10 years). The same my cousin - more then 10 years ago. Nice to see their faces again, kids etc. Living abroad so I don't have too many opportunities to visit them.
    10-25-10 10:35 AM
    Twitter I find amusing and a quick way to stay in touch with a few people but
    ultimately I could do without it.

Facebook is to me completely pointless.

Everyone important to me knows my number, my address, where I work. I prefer to
    see faces and hear voices as opposed to typing and reading typed words.
    10-25-10 11:10 AM
    (i don't twitter because i'm not vain enough to think masses of people would want to follow me and i don't just add anyone on FB either just to get a high count of friends- i hate those "collectors")
    Couldn't agree more. I only use twitter to stay informed on the latest music and techy stuff. I think I've sent a total of one or two tweets (at BGR for posting something wrong).

Facebook.. Not a fan. If you'd like to talk to me, call or text me.. That's why I bought a phone.
    10-25-10 11:25 AM
    I have Linked in for professional networking purposes.

I have Twitter.....mostly because I like to live vicariously through celebrities and other people I would never have an opportunity to talk/communicate with.
    10-25-10 12:41 PM
    I have Linked in for professional networking purposes.

I have Twitter.....mostly because I like to live vicariously through celebrities and other people I would never have an opportunity to talk/communicate with.
    +1 on LinkedIn. Great place for professional networking.
    10-25-10 12:52 PM
    Was just at a High School reunion and many were astounded a techie like me didn't have a FB account.

I just don't get why.

Anyone able to explain the value of having a Facebook or Twitter account for a 40+ year old family man?
    If you're a family man, all Facebook would do is bring you trouble. Just stay off of it.
    10-25-10 02:51 PM
    If you're a family man, all Facebook would do is bring you trouble. Just stay off of it.
    Solid advice. I hear of too many people getting in trouble that started with FB.
    I had set up a FB account a while back for the sole purpose of the "Follow crackberry" contests, but I don't "friend anyone. in fact I hardly ever check it or the dummy email I used to set it up.

10-25-10 09:46 PM
    I enjoy fb to see what people are up to. I wish I could defriend others without "feeling bad" about it.

I tried twitter and I get the business purposes, but I fail to understand the consumer end of it.

10-25-10 09:58 PM
    Not true. My wife and I both have pages and do fine. Neither of us are pimply faced little boys or girls, but rather, adult professionals and know fully what the potentials and risks are. If you can't use solid judgement in such activities, then yes, it can be trouble.
    10-26-10 07:43 AM
    Not true. My wife and I both have pages and do fine. Neither of us are pimply faced little boys or girls, but rather, adult professionals and know fully what the potentials and risks are. If you can't use solid judgement in such activities, then yes, it can be trouble.
    It is true 40% or more of all divorces report "facebook" as a factor to the divorce. Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it's going to work for others.

10-26-10 08:01 AM
    It is true 40% or more of all divorces report "facebook" as a factor to the divorce. Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it's going to work for others.

MJ, do you have a link for that stat? Not that I don't believe you, rather the opposite- I can totally see it. In mine and my wifes circle of friends there is a couuple heading in that direction. While FB is not the only factor, it is a contributor to many of the issues.

10-26-10 08:10 AM

Whatever you think. No biggy. My wife and I have no chance of divorcing for any reason.

I love your stats, and all I said I said on my own behalf. I did not say anything about anyone else's experiences.

This thread is a veiled rant at best.
    10-26-10 08:23 AM
    UK is almost 20%
    Facebook fuelling divorce, research claims - Telegraph

I'm not seeing the 40% but would love to see the "study among the nations top lawyers" that is quoted in this report
    Facebook Being Cited In More Divorces

The Fox report makes a good point - FB is not causing divorce, it's merely speeding up the process.

My personal opinion, if it's not necessary, why have it. To me it's just not really that important, I can keep up with people and know what they are up to through email or better yet, a phone call. But that's just my opinion. If you like it and feel it fulfills your needs, more power to you. Kind of like the iphone vs android vs bb debate.
    10-26-10 08:50 AM
    Bummer. 'Sounds as though many more marriages are doomed simply because they exist than not.
    10-26-10 09:11 AM
    I use Facebook to stay in contact with my brother who has moved to Mexico. And for the friends I have there and friends I have across the country. A lot easier than running up your phone bill with international calls

10-26-10 10:39 AM
    There is a 50% chance that marriage will end in divorce (Popenoe & Whitehead, 2004).

The process has several aspects, one in which FB can play a part in.

1. What is the satisfaction level the person has with the relationship.
    a. If very satisfied the person will stay in the relationship.
    b. If not satisfied the person will evaluate two thing (see 2 and 3).

2. How much does the person perceive they have invested in the relationship.
    a. If perceived as a great deal of investment the person will remain in the relationship.
    b. If perceived as little the person will move on to the next step.

3. What is the quality of alternatives (i.e., other mates, support on own, etc. This is where FB comes in.
    a. If the person does not believe there are alternatives they will remain in the relationship.
    b. If the person believes there are better alternatives they may leave the relationship. Facebook can help broaden the view of alternatives by either support by others in seeking ways to make it on ones own or by giving access to potential alternative mates.

That being said, I just don't have time for FB and I only use Twitter to keep up on some news not friends.
    Last edited by middbrew; 10-26-10 at 10:46 AM.
    10-26-10 10:43 AM
    You're the exception. I can only speak in a general sense and can't go by a
    case by case scenario.
    10-26-10 02:42 PM
    You're the exception. I can only speak in a general sense and can't go by a
    case by case scenario.
    Absolutely. My wife and I are best friends.

The fact is, the OP asked what the advantages are to having a page on FB. My responses addressed that point.
    10-26-10 03:19 PM
    MJ, do you have a link for that stat? Not that I don't believe you, rather the opposite- I can totally see it. In mine and my wifes circle of friends there is a couuple heading in that direction. While FB is not the only factor, it is a contributor to many of the issues.

Sure let me dig them up. I'll gladly post them... i won't be able to do it for a few hours though i won't be home for a while.

10-26-10 03:58 PM
    I apologize ... it's 20% percent... not 40%... i just did a quick google search on my phone. But still i'll post the links....

10-26-10 04:03 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD