02-14-09 02:35 PM
31 12
tools
    I am going crazy from all the different websites I have to register to just to get a freakin theme. I'd rather just donate here to someone and get it here with an OTA link or preferably a desktop .alx or .cod link.

WHY? upload it on a site where people have to register to get it? There are a million different sites being used. This is not cool guys.....
    02-13-09 04:41 PM
    so the guy can see how popular apps are? it takes 5 freakin seconds to register
    02-13-09 04:45 PM
    so the guy can see how popular apps are? it takes 5 freakin seconds to register
    Especially if there free.
    02-13-09 04:52 PM
    Registering doesn't show its popularity... I download different themes and try them. If I don't like them I delete them. Then I've registered for nothing. Added more internet waste to the globe.

HOWEVER if the theme was just available for download via a direct OTA link in the first post, I could install it without any hassle and if I like it, then I would donate. THAT is how you can see how good/popular a theme is. NOT by its amount of downloads due to a couple of hyped posts and some nice images.

Am I right or am I right?

I am one of the guys that is always saying lets see if peoples mouth is where their wallets are... And from experience I know that that is often not the case.

And by the quality of the themes at this moment I don't think many donations are in order, although there really are appearing more and more.

But registering for each and every one at different forums? Man... that's just crazy. It doesn't matter that it "just takes five seconds"... It puts the bar higher to get the theme. Have enough crappy themes come your way, even after registration, and soon you don't want to register anymore.

Just make sure you create a good theme and that it is directly available. If so, you will get donations and THAT will determine the popularity of the theme. Not the other way around.
    02-13-09 05:03 PM
    If you intend chargng for your themes or making people register on another site in order to download them then you will find life hard here too as Crackberry rules require sales to go through the CrackBerry Store. Sorry but that's the way it is.
    02-13-09 05:17 PM
    oke, very good, thanks! That is something that is being looked at then. Cause I find it highly irritating when I keep running into so called "free" themes that have an OTA link in the openingpost or somewhere along the line, and then when you click it, you get redirected to pimpmyberry or whatever. A million of those sites. Sure, all in good fun, and after registration they can mostly freely be downloaded, but why does there always have to be a catch? Either charge for it if you've put in a lot of effort, or don't and make it available. Leave it up to the people if they want to donate or not. If its good enough, you will be getting donations anyway.

I can only speak for myself but I find that if I can download and install a theme DIRECTLY either via OTA or DM with a direct download/install link I am more "happy" then when I have to hop around the web all the time.

Also, in those cases, I really do feel more compelled to donate out of free will, as a service owing to a service giver (the theme maker) and a larger amount at that too...
    Last edited by TheMisses; 02-13-09 at 05:27 PM.
    02-13-09 05:25 PM
    oke, that is something that is being looked at then. Cause I find it highly irritating when I keep running into so called "free" themes that have an OTA link in the openingpost or somewhere along the line, and then when you click it, you get redirected to pimpmyberry or whatever. A million of those sites. Sure, all in good fun, and after registration they can mostly freely be downloaded, but why does there always have to be a catch? Either charge for it if you've put in a lot of effort, or don't and make it available. Leave it up to the people if they want to donate or not. If its good enough, you will be getting donations anyway.

I can only speak for myself but I find that if I can download and install a theme DIRECTLY either via OTA or DM with a direct download/install link I am more "happy" then when I have to hop around the web all the time.

Also, in those cases, I really do feel more compelled to donate out of free will, as a service owing to a service giver (the theme maker) and a larger amount at that too...
    We try to support free stuff on CrackBerry and I do not think that anyone objects to a Donation or two but when (as is not the case with you) people start to use CrackBerry as a sales base then we object.

We are always kicking off hardware spammers who post that they are selling phones, clothes or even shoes. It is often the members who alert us to this.

We have a place where software can be supported and there is also the CrackBerry Store.

What we don't want is to see people getting scammed in CrackBerry. We recently changed the Marketplace rules to prohibit members with less that 100 posts from selling.

Software (themes included) fall within these rules too since we also sell themes.

You are welcome to offer themes for free direct download ether as OTA or as zip files. What we do not wish is for members to sell themes in the forums or to offer downloads from sites where registration is required prior to downloading. Stick within these guidelines and you will be just fine.

If you wish to sell then there is a simple way to get your goods into the CrackBerry store and you can then ask for your own thread in the 3rd Party Software forum (or one of the others) where you can support your wares and announce new ones just as long as these are sold through the CrackBerry Store. Please understand that I do not make these rules. I am just the messenger and have no wish to even be aimed at let alone shot at.
    02-13-09 05:34 PM
    Geeeezzzzz. First people complain if something a developer does is not free. Now, people ***** at how "difficult" it is to get something for free!!! Life must be a real pain for some people out there.
    Last edited by Ultrafied; 02-13-09 at 08:42 PM.
    02-13-09 08:05 PM
    lets see here....

1. They made the theme.
    2. They are (in most cases) giving it for free.
    3. Because of the above two reasons, if they want to use their theme to promote/bring attention to a website of their choosing, they certainly can do so.

If you don't like it make your own theme or find one elsewhere. Now if the forum moderators disagree to members doing this then that is certainly their decision as it is their forums, but for the every day member you shouldn't be so picky if you are being given something for free.
    02-13-09 08:08 PM
    lets see here....

1. They made the theme.
    2. They are (in most cases) giving it for free.
    3. Because of the above two reasons, if they want to use their theme to promote/bring attention to a website of their choosing, they certainly can do so.

If you don't like it make your own theme or find one elsewhere. Now if the forum moderators disagree to members doing this then that is certainly their decision as it is their forums, but for the every day member you shouldn't be so picky if you are being given something for free.
    Add to the fact that when I posted my only theme I had no idea how to even host a OTA file. Still don't. Which adds to the appeal of a site like pimpmyberry. I agree it can be annoying, but paying for a theme by signing up for a site is a small price.
    02-13-09 09:32 PM
    same here if it wasnt for pimpmyberry allowing me to host my ota i wont be able to upload my themes for testers and to everyone for free i dont have to worry about paying to host a site and maintenance.
    Add to the fact that when I posted my only theme I had no idea how to even host a OTA file. Still don't. Which adds to the appeal of a site like pimpmyberry. I agree it can be annoying, but paying for a theme by signing up for a site is a small price.
    02-13-09 09:42 PM
    Because those other forums host the OTA file free. Be grateful u getting great themes for free and not spending 7 bones for a piece of **** theme. Really find a host the gives free OTA Hosting without any forum then you got the right to complain. Till then ur not helping the cause and just to lazy registering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 10:01 PM
    I agree 100% about having to register for sites all the time. Its a pain in the *** I won't want my details on every site on the internet

02-13-09 11:27 PM
    I agree 100% about having to register for sites all the time. Its a pain in the *** I won't want my details on every site on the internet

Then don't go to them! Or offer to host the theme so that everyone can get the theme from your server. Ummm, you don't have a server, well maybe the developer doesn't either and these sites are easiest for them. Oh ... but you don't want it easy for them, you want it easy for you! Wow ... be gentle ...
    Last edited by Ultrafied; 02-14-09 at 10:22 AM.
    02-14-09 08:53 AM
    I typed a whole story....

deleted it.
    You guys don't get it and I'm not sure if I can translate it well enough right now to make my point. Its not about just complaining for getting stuff for free, I hope you understand that. If you don't... well... too bad.
    02-14-09 09:07 AM
    It's simple... If you don't want to take the time to register (FOR FREE on all sites I've registered on) then don't download the theme!

I can't believe the audacity of some people to come here and complain that it's to inconvenient for them to download stuff for free...

Sorry, the world (and/or internet) do not revolve around you!

-Corey
    02-14-09 10:14 AM
    free is good
    02-14-09 10:39 AM
    It's a minor deal at best. Would you not have to register if you to buy a theme?
    02-14-09 11:00 AM
    I thought u could only sell a theme threw the CB Store?

02-14-09 11:09 AM
    I typed a whole story....

deleted it.
    You guys don't get it and I'm not sure if I can translate it well enough right now to make my point. Its not about just complaining for getting stuff for free, I hope you understand that. If you don't... well... too bad.
    It cost money to get a server. They offer for free without expenses so they can give it to u free

02-14-09 12:05 PM
    If you intend chargng for your themes or making people register on another site in order to download them then you will find life hard here too as Crackberry rules require sales to go through the CrackBerry Store. Sorry but that's the way it is.
    Pete6 I agree with you in principle regarding the paid themes. However, I think it's ridiculous to restrict people who are trying to give things away for free. So what if it requires a login on another site? Pimpmyberry and others have posted those kinds of links here forever and it has never been a problem? It's your site, run it the way you want, I just think that's a little extreme... My opinion - that and $.05 will get you a piece of bubble gum.
    02-14-09 01:02 PM
    To the OP... these people do this stuff for free (or even a slight charge). I can't believe people like you would...

02-14-09 01:04 PM
    I think the OP deal is that if its free why not just post the OTA here instead of having someone trying to register at another site.
    02-14-09 01:07 PM
    maybe they would like a site they frequent to get some new members, like cb did when it started, ever think about that, so ur tellin me if you started a business you wouldnt advertise stfu.....you people kill me, its not even just the guys that make themes, guys that make apps also, guys that build sites and maintain em, all the forums for berry lovers, you all expect everything to be your way, never stopping to think about all the work that goes into it,or thanking anyone, you do realize that we are doing the rest of you a huge favor by donating our TIME and EFFORTS in making you this content, how bout you get off your fat *** and do it yourself you unappreciative *******

for those that appreciate it disregard this message
    02-14-09 01:11 PM
    maybe they would like a site they frequent to get some new members, like cb did when it started, ever think about that, so ur tellin me if you started a business you wouldnt advertise stfu.....you people kill me, its not even just the guys that make themes, guys that make apps also, guys that build sites and maintain em, all the forums for berry lovers, you all expect everything to be your way, never stopping to think about all the work that goes into it,or thanking anyone, you do realize that we are doing the rest of you a huge favor by donating our TIME and EFFORTS in making you this content, how bout you get off your fat *** and do it yourself you unappreciative *******

for those that appreciate it disregard this message
    +1 that pretty well sums it up
    02-14-09 01:14 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD