My My Vinnie. You post a little Apache capability shot and you end up with the CB crew solving world issues. You remain my favorite CB member.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 06:48 PM
    Vinnie, I will have to watch the video later when I am on my computer. I will say what no one else seems to have managed to say,thank you for serving and glad you made it back safe! The son of a friend at my Church was not so lucky, he was in his 4th tour. A cousin of mine did tours in Afganistan and Iraq and had been back about a year, though had really bad PTSS when he got back. He had bad issues and unfortunately chose to charge a police officer with weapon (hockey stick), the police officer defended himself. Now his son will have to deal with that.

Thank you for serving and putting yourself in harms way to make this country a safer place for the rest of us.

10-20-08 07:07 PM
    vinnie is correct, as a former French colony the official name is C�te d'Ivoire. You can tell he didn't paste like we did because he missed the accented character.
    You're giving the guy credit as if he really meant to NOT call it the Ivory Coast? Unbelievable.

Haha, nit picky people, way to miss the point of the post
    Actually chief; it's not being 'nit picky' per se; it's about seeing the bigger picture in a more accurate and full-storied way.

When the U.S. is the most powerful nation in the world; it has to be (yes I said HAS TO BE) involved in certain parts of the world...whether it wants to be or not; because the sanctity of one nation is often times dependent on the sanctity of other nations. Why do you have such a hang-up on African nations alone? When in actuality; America has played a hand in many other nations in Europe, Asia and the states belonging to the former-Soviet Union. There are MANY other nations (both in and out of Africa) and conflicts that America likewise has not played a role in. A lot of the African nations you listed; you don't even know the type and extent of involvement in those nations...not all of it has been militarilistic. A lot of the countries receive help with AIDS/HIV and food aid for example.

However, it's good to know that you know where to locate Africa on a map.

I think we left out the worst of them all since 1970, Cambodia. Anyone with any education was killed.

African violence is a product of European meddling. Almost every Western European country had a colony there. They went in and drew up borders that had nothing at all to do with the African peoples. Every former colony has multiple tribes within it's borders. It's no wonder there is constant civil war and genocide where people can have ancient hatred for each other, or it could even be simple as competition for scarce resources; with no family or tribal bonds, competition becomes violence.

Sorry for contributing to the thread going off in another direction, Vinnie.
    Exactly. Most of the conflicts within Africa are because of Dutch, Portugese, Swedish, Belgian colonization for example. What the British empire did to India, initially America, Egypt/Israel/Palestine...is what other countries did within Africa. What is most evident of this is what the De Beers family has done with the diamond trading spanning back hundreds of years till now.

So why are the countries that have roots in the original sins behind the bickering and fighting not doing anything? Because they aren't the most powerful and mighty nation in the world...they don't have the resources and where-with-all as America does. Yes it may seem unfair; and it probably is...but the world should not be viewed and treated in a selfishly-myopic manner...it's not structured that way.

Isn't Darfur Arab muslims against non muslim blacks? The arabs and their proxies drive people from their villages by killing and raping inhabitants. They then finish them off when they make it to the refugee camps? What a sad situation -- you d@mn well we'd be in there stopping them if there was just a little oil under the ground.
    exelant; you are a great example of self-education and the application of it...you help to make the light others are trying to shed on issues; brighter.
    10-20-08 07:43 PM
    All those nations listed were in some sort of conflict where people died...

Hope this helps

10-20-08 07:53 PM
    To vinnies point on the coutries name:

10-20-08 09:48 PM
    What was vinnie's point on the name, slvr? Exactly, none. He had no point. The point is that he didn't list those names by memory and he sure as heck didn't know to refer to the Ivory Coast as its proper name.

Why are you trying to conjure up a point he never made; and then turn around and give him credit? It's baffling.

10-20-08 10:03 PM
    Hi-def, I was commenting because vinnie call it Cote D'Ivore, prince said it was Ivory Coast, Branta countered with its official name. Its all at the begining of pg2.

10-21-08 12:21 AM
    Either way, of course I found the information on another website, sh it how many people do you know that remember all the conflicts that took place in africa in the last 50 years?
    10-21-08 12:23 AM
    Haha, likely none except a war nut! Well, hi-def might........
    10-21-08 04:25 AM
    I do business that has to do with the Ivory coast. I've done research on the country. We call it the ivory coast bc everyone knows how to pronounce it. However people who live there in the area find it offensive if anyone calls it anything other than Cote D'Ivore.

10-21-08 09:13 AM
    Either way, of course I found the information on another website, sh it how many people do you know that remember all the conflicts that took place in africa in the last 50 years?
    My point exactly Mr. Dugan. There are MANY conflicts (serious, minor, large, small) that occur and have occurred around the world (not just in Africa). Surely no one remembers each and every one of these conflicts, the participants in the conflict, and the reasons behind the conflicts. Especially since the conflicts most people are aware of; are the ones that the media feels is 'news-worthy'.

With all that in mind, you have no credibility simply listing out a roll call of some African nations as having a hand with the U.S. in dealing with some strife (all of which isn't militarilistic)...when you can't/don't provide details and specifics.

Blue, you're right about why the Ivory Coast is referred to its country-name as such...because it's more-readily recognized by the international community. There are examples of many others countries/cities that we recognize their name as a certain modernized nomenclature; when in actuality their native names are harder to pronounce/spell.
    10-21-08 09:39 AM
    Coups and Conflict in West Africa, 1955-2004
    Part II, Empirical Findings
    Patrick J. McGowan

Stellenbosch University and Arizona State University [email protected]

From independence through 2004, the sixteen West African states have experienced forty-four successful military-led coups, forty-three often-bloody failed coups, at least eighty-two coup plots, seven civil wars, and many other forms of political conflict. Part I of this article used a political-economy approach to provide theoretical explanations of this record. Part II presents a unique data set describing all coup-related events in West Africa since 1955. Military interventions are widespread, occurring repeatedly in fourteen states. These data permit examination of coup behavior over the past fifty years. No evidence of declining coup activity is found. The major instances of war and conflict are reported, and it is shown that coups and conflict are reciprocally related. Changes that might reduce coups and conflict and permit these countries and their 238 million citizens to have better lives are discussed in the conclusion.

And yes I copied and pasted that

hope this helps
    Last edited by vinnie_dugan; 10-21-08 at 10:47 AM.
    10-21-08 10:42 AM
    Bwhahaha!! You forgot to say hope that helps.

10-21-08 10:45 AM
    fixed.....
    10-21-08 10:47 AM
    The report says that in the 15 years from 1990 until 2005 conflicts in 23 African countries cost nearly $300 billion, or an average of $18 billion per year.

It states that in these countries gross domestic product declined by an average of 15 percent per year.

copied and pasted

hope this helps
    10-21-08 10:48 AM
    There have been over 9.5 million refugees and hundreds and thousands of people have been slaughtered.

copied and pasted

hope this helps
    10-21-08 10:49 AM
    The Algerian Civil War was an armed conflict between the Algerian government and various Islamist rebel groups which began in 1991. It is estimated to have cost between 150,000 and 200,000 lives.

Formally brought to an end in 2002, an estimated 500,000 people were killed in the 27-year war.[2] The Angolan Civil War was one of the largest, longest and most prominent armed conflicts of the Cold War.

The Burundi Civil War was an armed conflict lasting from 1993 to 2005. The civil war was the result of long standing ethnic divisions between the Hutu and the Tutsi tribes in Burundi. The conflict began following the first multiparty elections in the country since gaining independence from Belgium in 1962 and is seen as formally ending with the swearing in of Pierre Nkurunziza in August 2005. The estimated death toll stands at 300,000 killed.

Republic of the Congo Civil War, lasting from June 1997 to December 1999, was fought between partisans of two presidential candidates, which ended in an invasion of Angolan forces. Estimated civilian death toll: 10,000

The Second Congo War, also known as Africa's World War[3] and the Great War of Africa, began in August 1998 in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly called Zaire), and officially ended in July 2003 when the Transitional Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo took power (though hostilities continue to this day). Estimated total death toll, 3,900,000

The First Congo War (November 1996 to May 1997) ended when Zairean President Mobutu S�s� Seko was overthrown by rebel forces backed by foreign powers such as Uganda and Rwanda. Rebel leader Laurent-D�sir� Kabila declared himself president and changed the name of the nation back to Democratic Republic of the Congo. The war set the foundation for, and was quickly followed by, the Second Congo War, which began on August 2, 1998. Estimated death toll:200,000

I am only in the C's, I can keep going

copied and pasted

hope this helps
    10-21-08 11:00 AM
    I can't recall where anyone doubted there has been intense and oft fighting within the continent of Africa. Many African countries have a long and tumultuous history. A lot of the rifts are not inherent; rather it is because its been caused by outside imperialization factors. The U.S. is allies with many countries that originally occupied, settled..and whom still have a lingering presence in these African countries. So why don't these original occupying forces handle the brunt of the aid (whether it be monetarily, militarily, etc.)? It's because they don't have the resources and might that the U.S. has.

By you copying and pasting information regarding some of the conflicts; proves nothing that is already known about many conflicts. Anyone can make a broad statement and generalization that fighting does exist in a continent as aged as Africa itself...and then proceed to copy and paste; no brains are required for that.

However your original point that the U.S.' aid in Africa is a lost cause; is too simplistic. Since you have the time and willingness to do so; you can go through the letters of the alphabet if you please.
    10-21-08 11:35 AM
    My point exactly Mr. Dugan. There are MANY conflicts (serious, minor, large, small) that occur and have occurred around the world (not just in Africa). Surely no one remembers each and every one of these conflicts, the participants in the conflict, and the reasons behind the conflicts. Especially since the conflicts most people are aware of; are the ones that the media feels is 'news-worthy'.

With all that in mind, you have no credibility simply listing out a roll call of some African nations as having a hand with the U.S. in dealing with some strife (all of which isn't militarilistic)...when you can't/don't provide details and specifics.

Blue, you're right about why the Ivory Coast is referred to its country-name as such...because it's more-readily recognized by the international community. There are examples of many others countries/cities that we recognize their name as a certain modernized nomenclature; when in actuality their native names are harder to pronounce/spell.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you said I couldn't/didn't provide details and specifics...

Hope this helps
    10-21-08 11:44 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you said I couldn't/didn't provide details and specifics...
    Can't = You don't have enough knowledge of things on the spur to backup
    no-brain'er generalizations anyone can make that there's fighting
    in Africa. Therefore you genuinely can't provide details and
    specifics.

Don't = Ties in with the 'can't. Since you don't have enough knowledge on
    your own accord; don't bring up generalizations that are known
    without providing supplemental information at the same time when
    making statements. It's better to bring information to the prelude
    of a discussion, during the concurrency of one...rather than to
    post-end of a discussion.

Of course you're competent enough to search the web, type in the information needed to bring up results to your query, copy the information found...and paste for all to see. That has never been doubted.

Hope you continue helping yourself.
    10-21-08 11:57 AM
    I dont see why you are straying from the original point, most of africa is beyond repair.

Hope this helps
    10-21-08 12:02 PM
    Haha trajectory rebuttal..predictable.

Shhh, shhh, shhh vinnie. Now there, there..everything will be ok. Light a cigarette, sip on some scotch, eat some leftover birthday cake and pasta. Bask in your skewed reality..life is good huh?

Have a great day stud.

10-21-08 12:25 PM
    its so sad how deep I am in your head...

10-21-08 12:44 PM
    If you truly were in my head vinnie..itd be an accomplishment. Therefore; it wouldn't be sad. You know..you'd be an entertaining drinking buddy; if fate ever brought you, me, exelant, JR and many others that aren't being mentioned..together; it'd be a swell time.

No offense partner, but the sausage fest would be short-lived when there would be beautiful CB ladies around us.

10-21-08 02:23 PM
    I dont see why you are straying from the original point, most of africa is beyond repair.

Hope this helps
    Agreed 100%
    10-21-08 02:40 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD