Has this always been the case for the Division winner? If so, has it been around since the wildcard was introduced?

Seems weird and likely to wreak havoc on TV schedules, DVRs, etc...... Plus, it is just plain dumb. Leave it to the Commish to allow this.

It will be interesting what the Yanks choose. Go with the 8 to allow for only needing 3 starters, or go with the 7 and try an play off of how tired either of their potential opponents will be.........

I cannot believe that as a Red Sox fan I started a thread with "Yankeess" in the title. Eeeeeeek.
    10-06-09 12:16 PM
    Simple answer is because they finished with the best record in the AL.

This is a newer rule the MLB has had to give to the team who wins the most games in their league. It has been going on for at least the past 2 seasons.
    10-06-09 12:21 PM
    I think it's a pretty good rule too. As much as I think the Yankees stink as
    bad as the Bronx, the team with the best record should be able to decide
    if they'd like to start on a 1st or 2nd day of the playoffs.

I don't know if this exists, but I also think that the team with the best record
    in each league should be able to decide whether they want to start the series
    at home or on the road. So let's say if the Yankees decided they'd rather
    start on the road, then the 5 game series would be 2 road, 3 straight home
    for the Yankees.
    10-06-09 12:27 PM
    Because they have the most money.
    10-06-09 12:36 PM
    I think the reasons are reasonable. I just hate having things like this decided at the last minute. I guess the curveball (NPI) to this was that you had a tie in the division. If there was none, we wouldn't be worrying about this.......
    10-06-09 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD