Hi there.

I live in England and a lot of the people I know have never been outside of Europe with the exception of Turkey. When I ask a lot of families what they did there, they simply say things along the line of: "We stayed in the hotel and relaxed on the beach or by the pool". I asked whether they did any sightseeing or visited the town centre at least and most replied that they didn't. I mean, when I used to go out on family holidays, I used to push my parents a great deal to stop sleeping in the hotel room in the middle of the day and go out to the town and see the sights. I went to the USA last year and went on a guided tour. There, I visited San Diego, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Flagstaff, San Francisco and the Grand Canyon. There were a lot of elderly couples there which indicated that it wasn't a stressful tour and people didn't need to rush around.

Why is it that people are willing to spend hundreds of Pounds to visit a country that they can't be bothered to go around? Sitting down and relaxing, you can do that at home with a beer and a TV in front of them. I know it's hot and you get a tan, but you can do that in England too.

Maybe I'm just conservative with money, but if I went to Mal in The Maldives, I'd hire a Maldivian Air Taxi to take me around all of the islands of interest. Even Barcelona, I'd do sightseeing and visit towns. I didn't pay that money to sit around and 'relax'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 04:28 PM
    I think as you get older, the trips are for the children, and the hotel rooms are for the Adults.

um. to rest in. not that other thing.

But I agree. When i grow up, I'm gonna be super active. Hiking mountains and jumping off.

To plat with flysuits and stuff of course.
    10-25-11 04:54 PM
    Sometimes it's nice to just kick it I guess haha.
    10-25-11 07:34 PM
    I mean, when I used to go out on family holidays, I used to push my parents a great deal to stop sleeping in the hotel room in the middle of the day and go out to the town and see the sights. I went to the USA last year and went on a guided tour. There, I visited San Diego, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Flagstaff, San Francisco and the Grand Canyon. There were a lot of elderly couples there which indicated that it wasn't a stressful tour and people didn't need to rush around.

Maybe I'm just conservative with money, but if I went to Mal in The Maldives, I'd hire a Maldivian Air Taxi to take me around all of the islands of interest. Even Barcelona, I'd do sightseeing and visit towns. I didn't pay that money to sit around and 'relax'.
    you don't sound conservative at all......
    10-27-11 09:30 AM
    Point well taken. I mean that I'd rather spend loads of money if the memories will be extraordinary and worth having for the rest of my life. Sure, Brits go to Spain for around 150-200 per person and don't spend much there, but the 2,000 I saved in a few months and spent on the guided tour was much more worth it in my mind.

10-27-11 09:36 AM
    I go on holiday/vacation specifically to do nothing. Or to do something. But no more agenda packed, whirlwind adventures. You have to come home to rest up from your vacation.
    10-27-11 10:35 AM
    You sure they were sleeping?

Certainly depends on where I go. Plan a trip to the Caribbean and it's sun/relaxation. Europe would be much more active. Well, except for a lazy day in Amsterdam.
    10-27-11 10:36 AM
    You sure they were sleeping?

Certainly depends on where I go. Plan a trip to the Caribbean and it's sun/relaxation. Europe would be much more active. Well, except for a lazy day in Amsterdam.
    I could see where a day in Amsterdam could be quite lazy... Dude.
    10-27-11 12:52 PM
    I could see where a day in Amsterdam could be quite lazy... Dude.
    Why trucky, whatever could you mean?

10-27-11 01:00 PM
    Why trucky, whatever could you mean?

Click to view quoted image
    Bwahahahaha

I feel the same way - I hate hotels. But I understand why people might just want to go to a new place and do nothing if they've been working a ton at home.
    10-28-11 12:24 AM
    a vacation is supposed to be a time to relax, recharge the ol' battery unless of course you were going somewhere to do something specific. i enjoy a nice staycation too...sit home and relax...but that usually turns into honey-do list chore.....

amsterdayaummm!!!
    10-28-11 09:58 AM
    After working your **** off for 52 weeks, its sometimes good to do nothing!
    10-29-11 03:39 AM
    When I go on vacation I like to visit the famous sites of tht country. Tht is why I wud choose a particular place to visit.
    Everyone has different ways in which they personally enjoy their vacation.

I need vacation from my vacations )

London 2012 here I come!!!

11-20-11 11:21 AM
    When I go on vacation, I hate feeling like I "have" to be doing something. We usually plan to do one or two things when we stay at a friends house in Florida (while they are gone of course) but other than that its lay by the pool or in the pool, relax, and be spontaneous about doing things. No planned itinerary for us.

Sent from my mobile device
    11-25-11 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD