TlynnSmith wrote:

Yes, but what you're not considering is *why* you like a certain, bag, shoes, or dress.
    There is no real, objective criteria to "like" is there? Can you objectively prove that Modern Art is better/worse than Renaissance Art?

But do you honestly believe that what YOU like (be it bags, shoes, dresses, Modern Art or Renaissance Art) is completely random happenstance?

In your case, you may not like a certain bag, shoes, or dress *because* a certain celebrity is wearing it . . . but YOU may like it because you liked Annie Hall the movie, or it reminds you of your mother, or [insert emotion here].

Advertising agencies spend a LOT of time (and money) figuring out why you and I like what you and I like . . . and you'd be surprised how many "common factors" we share in that department.
    Yes, I have thought about why (and can tell you why) I like certain things. I'm not arguing the "whys". I'm saying that everyone doesn't make a decision to buy something, because Paris Hilton (or any other "celebrity") does or doesn't have it.

I work in retail, and I work with folks who are very much influenced by emotion � brides-to-be. So, don't sssume that I don't understand what influences folks to buy. I do.
    01-06-09 11:01 AM
    I really think certian persons that are commenting are really reading too far into this entire situation, I can honestly say that I was originally drawn to blackberrys because I saw Jay-Z a rapper and very wealthy celebrity with one. After seeing Jay-Z with a blackberry it was my job to go ahead and research the device (at that time the 8700) and figure out if it was right for me. At that time it wasn't, so I didnt buy it. When the time came and I felt like I needed a smartphone with e-mail capabilities and all the other bells and whistles I noticed that alot of celebs and even persons that I looked up to in everyday life (successful businesspersons, generally wealthy people) were carrying around the 8300, including Jay-Z, so again research was done and after I realized that I wanted it, I got it. I really think that some persons on this site go too far to be non conformists, there are 6Billion+ people in the world right now, eventually you're going to do something that someone has done before or is doing presently and vice versa... Just get over it...
    Last edited by DaPrezident004; 01-06-09 at 11:14 AM.
    01-06-09 11:12 AM
    I'm saying that everyone doesn't make a decision to buy something, because Paris Hilton (or any other "celebrity") does or doesn't have it.
    Then, we agree - *everyone* doesn't.

But, as a sales person, I'm sure you'd agree that consumer decisions are like a piece of rope - i.e., made from *many* strands - and it's often impossible to say which particular strand is "decisive."

The same is true of celebrity-ism - you (personally) may not MAKE a decision based on what any given celebrity does (or doesn't do), but -nevertheless - your decision may, if fact, be INFLUENCED by what celebrities do. Influence is not not the same as causality - but there's no denying that influence is an important part of decision-making. For example, your tastes may be influenced by the popular culture depictions of what is considered acceptable dinner attire (which, at one time, meant ties and jackets for men).

Remember when earrings for me were de rigeur? Yet, despite the fact that earrings had "crossed the gender boundary" . . . even men who sported earrings obssessed about which was the "correct" ear to wear it in . . . lest they be considered "gay" (or, from the opposite aisle, "straight"). True non-conformists wouldn't have sweated the issue (and little space would have been wasted in magazines about the issue).

I'd submit that the number of people in the United States (at least) who are truly unconcerned with ANY type of conventionality - i.e., true individualists - is very, very low. Probably less than 1%.
    01-06-09 11:35 AM
    Well, the whole this celeb carries a BB thing is so trite. Why does this matter exactly? I am all for RIM getting their device in the hands of those who can market for them. Yet, do we really need to go over this so much on CB?
    01-06-09 11:44 AM
    I really think certian persons that are commenting are really reading too far into this entire situation, I can honestly say that I was originally drawn to blackberrys because I saw Jay-Z a rapper and very wealthy celebrity with one. After seeing Jay-Z with a blackberry it was my job to go ahead and research the device (at that time the 8700) and figure out if it was right for me. At that time it wasn't, so I didnt buy it. When the time came and I felt like I needed a smartphone with e-mail capabilities and all the other bells and whistles I noticed that alot of celebs and even persons that I looked up to in everyday life (successful businesspersons, generally wealthy people) were carrying around the 8300, including Jay-Z, so again research was done and after I realized that I wanted it, I got it. I really think that some persons on this site go too far to be non conformists, there are 6Billion+ people in the world right now, eventually you're going to do something that someone has done before or is doing presently and vice versa... Just get over it...
    Well if he got it as one of those free deals for promotional purposes then it worked even if it was not right away it did get you to look into it, you just made a smart decision that it was not right for you at the time but when it was you bought one.......now if he never had that phone and you never saw it would you have one today......maybe......but there was a better chance of you getting one because you saw him with it
    01-06-09 11:45 AM
    ... do we really need to go over this so much on CB?
    Not being nasty, but the people going over it so much apparently are enjoying doing so or they wouldn't be posting. Nobody's forcing anyone to read it.

Personally I think any excuse to yammer about BB related stuff is a good excuse.
    01-06-09 11:49 AM
    Yet, do we really need to go over this so much on CB?
    Its better talking about this nonsense then work (not that I am at work anyway)
    01-06-09 11:51 AM
    Well, the whole this celeb carries a BB thing is so trite. Why does this matter exactly? I am all for RIM getting their device in the hands of those who can market for them. Yet, do we really need to go over this so much on CB?
    Its important enough that Kevin Feels Needs to Post Celebrity Sightings.

There is much to be capitilized from Product Placements through Celebrities.

Why Else Would Celebrities like Tiger Wood or David Beckham get 250 Million for Endorsements?

To Think Otherwise would Be Foolish.

We Live in a Tabloid Nation.
    01-06-09 11:57 AM
    Yet, do we really need to go over this so much on CB?
    Point taken. And with that all of my witty, trite, excoriating and possibly banal
    reparte are out.

There are much more important issues to the BB world to focus on than this
    insipidly trivial pablum. I've said my piece and will not back down from it.
    Everyone else has said theirs and I don't expect or want them to. Enough!
    01-06-09 11:58 AM
    Then, we agree - *everyone* doesn't.

Cool.
    01-06-09 12:00 PM
    Its important enough that Kevin Feels Needs to Post Celebrity Sightings.

There is much to be capitilized from Product Placements through Celebrities.

Why Else Would Celebrities like Tiger Wood or David Beckham get 250 Million for Endorsements?

To Think Otherwise would Be Foolish.

We Live in a Tabloid Nation.
    Indeed, all those things are true, yet this is to the point of ad nauseam.

And, Spinny, you are very correct, I could just not read it, but it is hard not to read something when it is being forced down your gullet.

I shall leave you all to ponder this very important BB matter of celebrities and the devices they carry.
    01-06-09 12:06 PM
    I'll sum up (and get back to work) by saying when I think of people who truly are not influenced by celebrities, pop culture, conventional ideas, etc. the mental picture I get is Hunter S. Thompson . . . and even *he* felt the need to publish his writings.

Again, all of us are lemmings (or sheep) of one type or another. Lemmings to different things - and to different extents, but lemmings nonetheless. Given that, I truly don't "get" why some people feel the need to look down their noses at people who are "celebrity lemmings."
    01-06-09 12:07 PM
    Paris Hilton has a BlackBerry, She Also Has Herpes.

Does that mean I want Herpes?

No!

In all honesty-

I Could Care Less About Celebrity Endorsements, and Who Has What.

But I Recognize the Power Celebrities Have to Sway Consumers Views.

Unfortunately, This "Herd" Mentality Isn't Going Away Anytime Soon.

01-06-09 12:13 PM
    they get paid to use blackberry's...it's not like they go out and choose what phone they want

have you heard of the gift bags that all grammy and emmy awards attenedees get?

they literally got a blackberry bold with a year of free service

And the Swag Goes To... - News and Analysis by PC Magazine
    This is bs they make enough money and then they get free ****.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 12:14 PM

No!

...and there it is! Bravo!
    01-06-09 12:20 PM

No!

...and there it is! Bravo!
    The Final Nail in the Coffin
    01-06-09 12:43 PM
    Sorry Crackberrykills, I'll let this forum get back to non-trite matters, such as the sticky about "what kind of person am I?" or "what's on my blackberry screen?"

(rimshot)
    01-06-09 12:45 PM
    Lol this is a hlarios thread!

01-06-09 12:57 PM

No!

In all honesty-

I Could Care Less About Celebrity Endorsements, and Who Has What.

But I Recognize the Power Celebrities Have to Sway Consumers Views.

Unfortunately, This "Herd" Mentality Isn't Going Away Anytime Soon.

That's all she wrote...

LMAO
    01-06-09 01:07 PM
    So that's /thread?
    01-06-09 01:13 PM
    Quite Possibly!

The One Quote to Rule Them All!

No!

Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 01-06-09 at 01:35 PM.
    01-06-09 01:25 PM
    Quite Possibly!

The One Quote to Rull Them All!

Oh...most definitely. It was on point, on time and just...fabulous! It said in a few words, what us "non-conformists" took paragraphs to say. You dug deep, and did your best, with that one.
    01-06-09 01:33 PM

i pay attention to what celebrities use because i happen to like the finer things in life
    Me too. Just BC I pay attention to it though doesn't mean celebrities and 'finer things' control my life. The finer things are more of treat for myself.

01-06-09 04:09 PM
    Thats what i have seen lately, more and more on their bolds, i barely see any storms
    01-06-09 05:24 PM
    Ths thread is hilarious... But you have to admit celebrities are entertaining... I mean how else could you quote the paris herpes joke and have everyone understand? If I was tosay molly has herpes, it would be no where near as entertaing. So you have to admit that even though you want to be non conformist, with all the headlines its surely gonna be at least running on your subconscious.

01-06-09 05:27 PM
147 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD