For every celeb you see with a particular phone there are 10
    others with something else that you don't see.

My question is and always has been, why does anyone care what
    phone a celebrity uses. I'll lay you odds to seven they don't give
    a damn what any of us use.

I can't imagine Britney calling Paris and having this conversation.

Britney: Girl, I was at that burger place and there was this
    insurance agent that had a Curve. It made him soooooo sexy.

Paris: OMG! I know what you mean, I saw a construction
    worker with a Storm. I knew he was smart and hot just by
    his phone. I wanted to do him right there on the scaffold.
    That was awesome.....
    01-06-09 08:10 AM

OMG too Funny, but probably so true!
    01-06-09 08:15 AM

Haha HILARIOUS. I've always wondered that myself. I don't even know why people care about celebrities. All a celebrity is is an other-wise talentless, over-paid,media controlled nutjob(mel gibson,others) with an overinflated self-esteem and a penchant for booZe and cocaine. I hate celebrities. Let me rephrase that; I hate A LOT of the celebrities. Not all of them. Just the ones like Pitt and Cruise who think they're cool cuz they been in some crappy movies and pay hot women to marry and have kids with them. Come on Tom, nobody believes a young hottie like katie holmes would voluntarily marry you, let alone have a child with you. And Brad........ Enough with the adopting foreigners. Yeah we get it, you're trying to appear kind and cultured, that's great. I don't think many people are buying it tho. And George Clooney- shut up. If you get any smugger you will literally start drinking your own farts. If you're all such great and awesome people, real Liberals like you try to portray, then donate some of your mountains of money to some of the millions of families made poor in 2008 by dumb *** rich Hollywood types paying celebrities a lot more than their worth. I'm sorry but I bust my *** for a measly 80 grand a year. An actor talks and farts around on set all day for multi-million checks. What's wrong with this? People should be paid based on the relevance of their profession. In other words, actors are useless(we don't NEED to watch crappy movies) so they should make the same wage a busboy makes. Imagine Tom Cruise making 7 grand a year....would he still be a wacky scientologist? Course not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 08:16 AM
    Well, in keeping with the level that this thread keeps falling to (fart drinking?), how many people would STILL buy their particular BB (be it Curve, Bold, Storm, etc.), if it came in just ONE color: vomit shaded tan?

I submit that there are a LOT of people who consider themselves extremely rational, do their research, etc. . . and, yet, when presented with the exact same BB they currently have - the very same BB functionality - would not buy a vomit shaded tan BB solely because they deem it to be "ugly."

Emotional response may not be the *decisive* factor in a purchase (although *sometimes* it is), but - even if not a decisive factor - is STILL *a* factor.

'nuff said.
    01-06-09 08:32 AM
    By the way, I've done some work for a friend of mind in the Events Management business. I've also put together SWAG bags for celebrities (well, rock bands and their entourages). These are people who could AFFORD to buy anything they wanted . . . but they will FIGHT tooth and nail for the free goodie bag.
    Thats the sad part! Their the ones that can most afford to purchase, and they get it for Free!
    01-06-09 08:38 AM
    Thats the sad part! Their the ones that can most afford to purchase, and they get it for Free!
    But, the question is why? Why do companies - which are engaged in competition with other companies; companies that slash back office jobs to save a nickel on expenses, etc. - give *free* stuff to celebrities who would otherwise be paying customers?

It's not a rhetorical question. It has a logical, rational answer: because it's a form of advertising.

An advertising, properly done, works. And "properly done" advertising isn't *generally* that advertising that gives you the most rational information about the product. It's almost always advertising that appeals to some level of emotion.

Think about this: pride . . . as in "I pride myself in making only *rational* well-researched purchases" . . . is STILL an emotion.
    01-06-09 09:05 AM
    I think celebs have a big impact on what a lot of people buy now a days. Maybe not for 98% of the people here but they are not targeting us but rather the 12 to early 20s groups. I have a 19 year old sister who was obsessed with Paris Hilton for a few years and would buy things based on what Paris was wearing or had. Even my wife has seen a purse or something that a celeb had and was like "wow that is nice I want one of those" I am sure at some point in all our lives we have seen a celeb with something and wanted it, heck I remember when I was in high school and bought an Easton Aluminum hockey stick for $80 because Brett Hull and Wayne Gretsky had them, everyone thought I was out of my mind for paying that much for a hockey stick because a pro athlete was using it, did it make me a super star hockey player? No. Did it improve my game? Maybe a little but probably not enough to pay $50 over the cost of the most expensive hockey sticks at the time. Now I would never purchase a phone because a celeb was using it because I am so picky with what I use but they are not targeting people like me and there is far more lemmings out there then individuals
    01-06-09 09:12 AM
    Now I would never purchase a phone because a celeb was using it because I am so picky with what I use but they are not targeting people like me and there is far more lemmings out there then individuals
    But we are ALL lemmings my friend, in some way, shape, or form.

You may not be a lemming for celebrities . . . but, honestly, you expect me to believe that -as a man - you're "individualist" enough to purchase a *hot pink* Blackberry for your own personal or business use???

(note: not trying to pick on *you* specifically, but - if you're honest - I think you'll have to admit that even if every BB model had the same functionality they currently have, they would not be so widely popular or adopted by business executives (primarily men) if they had been manufactured in just one color: hot pink).
    01-06-09 09:25 AM
    But we are ALL lemmings my friend, in some way, shape, or form.

You may not be a lemming for celebrities . . . but, honestly, you expect me to believe that -as a man - you're "individualist" enough to purchase a *hot pink* Blackberry for your own personal or business use???

(note: not trying to pick on *you* specifically, but - if you're honest - I think you'll have to admit that even if every BB model had the same functionality they currently have, they would not be so widely popular or adopted by business executives (primarily men) if they had been manufactured in just one color: hot pink).
    while I agree we are all lemmings in some way, the color of a phone would never have an impact on what phone I selected, if it only came in one color, as bad as it might be, if that was the phone I liked I would get it. Now if I had a choice of colors that is a little different, I would chose what I liked. If you ever saw some of the shirts I wear you would understand
    Now I dont use my phone for business and if I did that might change my view on color selection a bit because while I dont care about the color I understand it would look unprofessional to have a flashy hot pink phone
    01-06-09 09:48 AM
    ... I understand it would look unprofessional to have a flashy hot pink phone
    That would depend on your profession, would it not?
    01-06-09 09:52 AM
    That would depend on your profession, would it not?
    very true
    01-06-09 10:01 AM
    I'm willing to bet its because of the keypad. Celebrities tend to know a lot of people, therefore they shoot out about a half billion texts per day. The Bold's keypad allows them to type faster. I mean, has anyone tried out the Storm's keypad? If so, I guarantee you didn't type anything quickly on it.
    i played with the storm at a verizon store and i couldn't do much typing on that thing.
    01-06-09 10:09 AM
    i played with the storm at a verizon store and i couldn't do much typing on that thing.
    I couldnt either but you do pick it up the more you type
    01-06-09 10:11 AM
    Too true. I live in St. Louis . . . which, until recently, was the world headquarters for Anheuser-Busch . . . which has been known to spend a dime or two on advertising.

Anyone who can find a *rational* connection between Clydesdales, or hot chicks in bikinis, or Spuds McKenzie, or talking frogs (or lizards) and beer drinking is doing much better than me. In short, A-B has sold a LOT of beer based on the simple notion that doing so is "cool."

And, trust me, A-B wouldn't do such advertising if it wasn't effective. It may not be effective on *you,* but it is sure effective on a LOT of people.

Ronald Coase (he of the Coase Theorem in economics) has stated that he doesn't believe rationality is strongly enforced in consumer behavior. I agree. Companies behave rationally because they *compete* in concrete terms (i.e., dollars) . . . but how do consumers "compete" with one another? And, if consumers don't compete over the same things (i.e., they compete for status - whatever that is - rather than dollars), then rationality isn't particularly strong in the consumer segment.

Hellllooo people!! Ever hear of pet rocks!!

By the way, I've done some work for a friend of mind in the Events Management business. I've also put together SWAG bags for celebrities (well, rock bands and their entourages). These are people who could AFFORD to buy anything they wanted . . . but they will FIGHT tooth and nail for the free goodie bag.

And, oh yeah, companies GIVE us the stuff to put in these bags BECAUSE they want the celebrities to be seen using there stuff.

Now, go back to Coase (above) . . . if a company is willing to GIVE a celebrity free stuff, there's usually a pretty *rational* reason behind it. Translation: a LOT of goofy consumers will (in fact) buy things based on emotional factors such as [insert favorite celebrity name] has it.

Oh, they might not ADMIT they're doing it because [celebrity] uses it, but it does form part of the decisionmaking process.
    hey don't be talking about my pet rock.
    01-06-09 10:13 AM
    while I agree we are all lemmings in some way, the color of a phone would never have an impact on what phone I selected, if it only came in one color, as bad as it might be, if that was the phone I liked I would get it. Now if I had a choice of colors that is a little different, I would chose what I liked. If you ever saw some of the shirts I wear you would understand
    Now I dont use my phone for business and if I did that might change my view on color selection a bit because while I dont care about the color I understand it would look unprofessional to have a flashy hot pink phone
    So you're a "situational" color lemming, eh? :-)

Still, your own stated lack of care concerning color aside, do you think BB's would be AS large a success if originally sold in hot pink? (Mary Kay sales aside).

Look, what I'm saying is companies put a LOT of thought into product design *besides* functionality - including color design. If 99% of us were truly "individualists," that amount of thought would be *wasted* effort. And there'd be a LOT more men driving pink cars, wearing pink shirts, etc.

In short, we like to THINK we are waaay more individualistic, and non-conformist than we - in reality - are.

Paradoxically, one of the reasons a LOT of people are "celebrity lemmings" is because we *perceive* actors, actresses, and sports figures to be . . . well, very individualistic and non-conformist.

What I mean is this: many celebrities live very "unconventional, non-conformist, individualistic" lives. Sex, drugs, and celebrity seem to go hand in hand, no? And (rarely) do celebrities ever really pay for "breaking the rules" (well, money buys the best lawyers, right?).

Going "old school" consider Mae West, for example. A woman who *actively* was very sexual and outgoing when the predominate cultural morals of the time (for women) was the exact opposite.

What's the saying? "The rich are different." And celebrities are usually pretty which and, therefore, different than "the rest of us."

The irony is this: many "celebrity lemmings" believe that they are themselves being *individualistic* and non-conformist by adopting/imitating the non-conventional styles (from clothing to phones and points in between) of their favorite celebrities.
    01-06-09 10:13 AM
    i think sometimes people need to just get off their high horse and remember they are human and subject to human emotions and feelings and fall for gimmicks and tricks and the media and commercials just like everyone else.

females can't tell me they have never looked through a magazine and saw some celebrity wearing something they thought was hot be it shoes or a dress or a bag or whatever. they might not go out and buy it, but because so and so looked so good with it, it makes them think they will as well.
    70 percent americans are superficial and shallow, not all but most. the percent of those who choose to admit it is a different story.
    Yes, but I liked it (the bag, shoes, dress, etc.) because I liked it � not because a celebrity was wearing it. I think a lot of celebrities are not the best dressed folks, anyway. They have money, but they don't always have the best taste, in my opinion. But they can walk out, looking like a hot mess, and many will try and duplicate that same look � and end up looking like hot messes, but without the fame to make it somewhat palatable.

I can count on one hand, celebrities who have the type of style that would make me wanna run out and buy exactly what they have. I sometimes wish I had the money they have, but that doesn't mean I'd make the same purchases.

So, yes, we all are human and fall for tricks, gimmicks, etc. But there still are quite a few folks in the world, who aren't so influenced by what the latest "it" person is wearing/carrying/promoting.
    01-06-09 10:22 AM
    "What does your watch say about you?" This is after telling you what kind of watch some celeb is wearing.
    01-06-09 10:23 AM
    The irony is this: many "celebrity lemmings" believe that they are themselves being *individualistic* and non-conformist by adopting/imitating the non-conventional styles (from clothing to phones and points in between) of their favorite celebrities.
    Anyone old enough to recall the heyday of Mad Magazine? They ran a piece in the late 60s (or so, it's been a while) that made the point "nonconformists" were so commonplace they were actually conforming to their "nonconformism." Of course they then brought the funny by suggesting situational behavior where you could be a "Mad Nonconformist," instead.
    01-06-09 10:27 AM
    may be i am missing the point here but if we didn't care or were not influenced by others then crackberry wouldn't be here.
    01-06-09 10:38 AM
    TlynnSmith wrote:

Yes, but I liked it (the bag, shoes, dress, etc.) because I liked it
    Yes, but what you're not considering is *why* you like a certain, bag, shoes, or dress.

There is no real, objective criteria to "like" is there? Can you objectively prove that Modern Art is better/worse than Renaissance Art?

But do you honestly believe that what YOU like (be it bags, shoes, dresses, Modern Art or Renaissance Art) is completely random happenstance?

In your case, you may not like a certain bag, shoes, or dress *because* a certain celebrity is wearing it . . . but YOU may like it because you liked Annie Hall the movie, or it reminds you of your mother, or [insert emotion here].

Advertising agencies spend a LOT of time (and money) figuring out why you and I like what you and I like . . . and you'd be surprised how many "common factors" we share in that department.
    01-06-09 10:38 AM
    So you're a "situational" color lemming, eh? :-)

Still, your own stated lack of care concerning color aside, do you think BB's would be AS large a success if originally sold in hot pink? (Mary Kay sales aside).

Yes I am a situational lemming I guess you could say

There is no way BBs would do as well if they were offered in only one color (hot pink) but there would still be a select group who wouldnt care about the color
    01-06-09 10:39 AM
    Anyone old enough to recall the heyday of Mad Magazine? They ran a piece in the late 60s (or so, it's been a while) that made the point "nonconformists" were so commonplace they were actually conforming to their "nonconformism." Of course they then brought the funny by suggesting situational behavior where you could be a "Mad Nonconformist," instead.
    What me worry?

Not ashamed to admit that I was, at one point in time, and huge fan of Mad Magazine - late 1960s - early 1970s era.
    01-06-09 10:51 AM
    dubge wrote:

but there would still be a select group who wouldnt care about the color
    Probably correlates pretty well with Linux users. (j/k Linux users!!).
    01-06-09 10:56 AM
    I'll admit color matters to me. When I bought my Curve the choices were red or titanium; had they only red ones in stock I would have waited for a new shipment.
    01-06-09 10:58 AM
    To be Fair, I don't see many celebs with iPhones either-

I Just think its a TouchScreen vs Button Thing.

Its just not Practical.
    01-06-09 10:59 AM
147 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD