Simple,

Developers have spent time making apps for the Z10. Then they have to readjust their apps for the Q10. Increase size on the Z30. Now they are bring back the Trackpad and everything. Unless they make it like the Q10, both touchscreen and physical (which wouldn't make much sense) it's a lot of work for developers that Have already pent 1-3 years on the BlackBerry OS for the touchscreen. Now they have to rewrite or readjust their apps.

Come on BlackBerry.

Posted via my beautiful Z10
    Paul86 and SmileDahling like this.
    02-24-14 07:42 AM
    As a user I think that if they bring back the trackpad the phones must still have a touch screen & is still able to be executed via gestures. Otherwise BlackBerry is definitely going backwards & move into oblivion.

Reason being users & developers will definitely abandon this platform. I definitely will.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 07:58 AM
    I kinda agree with you. But I guess there is a following for that trackpad.....
    02-24-14 07:59 AM
    As a user I think that if they bring back the trackpad the phones must still have a touch screen & is still able to be executed via gestures. Otherwise BlackBerry is definitely going backwards & move into oblivion.

Reason being users & developers will definitely abandon this platform. I definitely will.

Posted via CB10
    That's the problem though as a user. If I have the whole Trackpad thing taking up space on my phone when I don't use it, I'm not going to buy it.

02-24-14 08:11 AM
    Simple,

Developers have spent time making apps for the Z10. Then they have to readjust their apps for the Q10. Increase size on the Z30. Now they are bring back the Trackpad and everything. Unless they make it like the Q10, both touchscreen and physical (which wouldn't make much sense) it's a lot of work for developers that Have already pent 1-3 years on the BlackBerry OS for the touchscreen. Now they have to rewrite or readjust their apps.

Come on BlackBerry.

Here's a counter-argument:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...evices-833656/

You're jumping to quite a few conclusions that bringing back the Belt would instigate disruptive change to the way developers have to do their apps... no one is suggesting that the Belt means a screen size change or a removal of touchscreen or gestures. It's a simple addition of functionality, not a removal.

Properly designed apps on Windows adjust for different screen resolutions etc. Developers should design their apps properly to adjust for different screen resolutions. Android has a multitude of screen resolutions. iOS has two iPad resolutions, and 3 different iPhone screen resolutions.

I think your concerns are unfounded.

I figure this is because you think the BB10 experience would change so drastically and in a bad way that you wouldn't enjoy the experience any more? Why do you think that?
    iamagod and Anilu7 like this.
    02-24-14 08:26 AM
    [QUOTE=RyanGermann;10046514]Here's a counter-argument:

You're jumping to quite a few conclusions that bringing back the Belt would instigate disruptive change to the way developers have to do their apps... no one is suggesting that the Belt means a screen size change or a removal of touchscreen or gestures. It's a simple addition of functionality, not a removal.

Properly designed apps on Windows adjust for different screen resolutions etc. Developers should design their apps properly to adjust for different screen resolutions. Android has a multitude of screen resolutions. iOS has two iPad resolutions, and 3 different iPhone screen resolutions.

That's my whole point. If the belt is there but an app is written with touchscreen in mind and I don't and won't use the belt, it takes up space that could have been used for a larger screen.

02-24-14 08:33 AM
    [QUOTE=coldRooster;10046539][QUOTE=RyanGermann;10046514]Here's a counter-argument:

That's my whole point. If the belt is there but an app is written with touchscreen in mind and I don't and won't use the belt, it takes up space that could have been used for a larger screen.

Sorry I crossed discussions. I was making that point on another discussion. But I speak for myself and perhaps quite a few other users that they are sleeping backwards for a portion of user base that basically just doesn't feel like moving on.

SmileDahling likes this.
    02-24-14 08:35 AM
    Here's a counter-argument:

Forgive me for being a bit glib... but do you imagine someone is going to break into your house in the middle of the night and solder the Belt onto your Z10? Or that BB will stop offering full-touchscreen devices? Or you'll find scores of apps in App World that say "doesn't work on your device" because you don't have a Trackpad?

Did you read the post I link to above? It does explain how the Belt could just do what gestures do, so it's not that BB10 would adapt to the Belt, it's that the Belt would adapt to BB10. It might make you feel a lot less concerned about the possibility of the Belt being available on SOME BB10 devices.
    02-24-14 08:42 AM
    I'm on the fence. Would like to see how its going to be implemented first before I make a proper decision. But, if it will help grow the BB10 userbase then I'm all for it. Cause at the end of the day what counts is numbers.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-24-14 08:49 AM
    Forgive me for being a bit glib... but do you imagine someone is going to break into your house in the middle of the night and solder the Belt onto your Z10? Or that BB will stop offering full-touchscreen devices? Or you'll find scores of apps in App World that say "doesn't work on your device" because you don't have a Trackpad?

Did you read the post I link to above? It does explain how the Belt could just do what gestures do, so it's not that BB10 would adapt to the Belt, it's that the Belt would adapt to BB10. It might make you feel a lot less concerned about the possibility of the Belt being available on SOME BB10 devices.
    Did I say anything about a belt on my Z10? I've had the Z10. I've had the Q10. I want and most likely will get the Z30. If this new phone has a belt. I will not get it. It's useless for people that were actually capable of moving on to BB10. Which I did. A belt takes up space. They could use that space for the screen. I just think it's a useless feature. Why cater to the small crowd that was too lazy to learn BB10 or just didn't feel like moving on all for a Trackpad? They better plan on not making a whole lot because I imagine outside of their Trackpad crowd they won't sell.

02-24-14 09:02 AM
    Did I say anything about a belt on my Z10? I've had the Z10. I've had the Q10. I want and most likely will get the Z30. If this new phone has a belt. I will not get it. It's useless for people that were actually capable of moving on to BB10. Which I did. A belt takes up space. They could use that space for the screen. I just think it's a useless feature. Why cater to the small crowd that was too lazy to learn BB10 or just didn't feel like moving on all for a Trackpad? They better plan on not making a whole lot because I imagine outside of their Trackpad crowd they won't sell.
    Thanks for clarifying: I wasn't asking why YOU wouldn't buy one, I was asking why you thought BlackBerry shouldn't even MAKE one... and you've said that you don't think there would be a significant market for it and BlackBerry might suffer if they overproduce them. I think that is a separate issue and yes, they shouldn't produce more than they KNOW they can sell (with the Z10, they gambled and overproduced and had to do an inventory write down which cost them and investors (like me) a lot of money).

I don't agree that the BB fans that like the Trackpad is a small crowd. The only evidence I have for that is that BBOS device users outnumber BB10 users 7 to 1 at last count. Maybe it's down to 5 to 1 now, and here's why (I think): those BBOS users haven't seen any movement by BB to make BB10 more like BB7 so they can take what they know and love about BBOS to BB10... so... they figure "why go BB10 when Android and iOS are 'better'?"

With the return of the Belt, BB10 devices stand the best chance of engaging BBOS users. Right now, BBOS users can't use what they know on BB10 devices... in fact, they probably would have an easier time switching to Android or iOS, because a BBOS user looking to switch probably has a friend or family member with an Android or iOS device who can show them everything and get them to switch, but hardly anyone has a BB10 device to show the BBOS user... so that BBOS user has to choose from THREE platforms that are totally unlike BBOS... if BB10 had a model that was more like BBOS, they could see "Ok, I can go to BB10 but not have to relearn everything!" which I think would be a great thing for BlackBerry.
    02-24-14 09:10 AM
    #1 - It's just a rumor.
    #2 - Even if it happens, does anybody really think they'd stick it on all devices? Really? You people all need to get a grip.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-24-14 09:14 AM
    Simple,

Come on BlackBerry.

Maybe BlackBerry could add some code that gets the track pad to mirror gestures so when developers code an app with gestures, the track pad automatically works a certain way, and then give developers the option to customize the track pad as well

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-24-14 09:16 AM

Here's the thing: if this were to actually come to fruition, it would not be for those of us who have already 'moved on', it would be targeted at those holdouts who are still clinging desperately do to their legacy devices because they do not want to lose their familiar old interface. They know people have 'moves on'; if a rumor comes out that ALL new BB10 devices will have trackpads, then we can get our panties all wadded up.

Part of the reason I will never replace my desktop computer with a tablet is because I refuse to give up my mouse for a touch screen. Same concept. The rest of the world may move on to Win8 and that metro crap on a convertible tablet, but I'll be taking my mouse and keyboard to the grave.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    02-24-14 09:20 AM
    Thanks for clarifying: I wasn't asking why YOU wouldn't buy one, I was asking why you thought BlackBerry shouldn't even MAKE one... and you've said that you don't think there would be a significant market for it and BlackBerry might suffer if they overproduce them. I think that is a separate issue and yes, they shouldn't produce more than they KNOW they can sell (with the Z10, they gambled and overproduced and had to do an inventory write down which cost them and investors (like me) a lot of money).

I don't agree that the BB fans that like the Trackpad is a small crowd. The only evidence I have for that is that BBOS device users outnumber BB10 users 7 to 1 at last count. Maybe it's down to 5 to 1 now, and here's why (I think): those BBOS users haven't seen any movement by BB to make BB10 more like BB7 so they can take what they know and love about BBOS to BB10... so... they figure "why go BB10 when Android and iOS are 'better'?"

With the return of the Belt, BB10 devices stand the best chance of engaging BBOS users. Right now, BBOS users can't use what they know on BB10 devices... in fact, they probably would have an easier time switching to Android or iOS, because a BBOS user looking to switch probably has a friend or family member with an Android or iOS device who can show them everything and get them to switch, but hardly anyone has a BB10 device to show the BBOS user... so that BBOS user has to choose from THREE platforms that are totally unlike BBOS... if BB10 had a model that was more like BBOS, they could see "Ok, I can go to BB10 but not have to relearn everything!" which I think would be a great thing for BlackBerry.
    I don't think you're using your brain here. How many BBOS users are business users. I'd say 99% of them. And I would wager to say they use their phone for business. The majority of the time, either in person or on the forums when a user has had a BBOS phone, they have an android or iPhone for personal use. So your argument about how they would move to another platform so they don't have to relearn to blah blah blah, that's exactly it. They probably already use an android or iPhone for personal use. They use the bbos phones for email and word documents because of the keyboard.

So BlackBerry should basically create a new line(s) of phone for people that are either too stupid or too lazy to learn about bb10. If you all need a Trackpad you have phones already made with a Trackpad. Use them.

02-24-14 09:21 AM
    #1 - It's just a rumor.
    #2 - Even if it happens, does anybody really think they'd stick it on all devices? Really? You people all need to get a grip.
    #1- I didn't state it as fact. I gave my opinion on why the shouldn't do it.

#2- I didn't say they would stick it on all devices.

02-24-14 09:25 AM
    #1- I didn't state it as fact. I gave my opinion on why the shouldn't do it.

#2- I didn't say they would stick it on all devices.

Wasn't responding directly to you, I was responding to the way people are reacting around here in general. Anyway, even if they do it, as long as you have a choice to get a device with a trackpad or without, then what's the difference? You still get what you want, and die-hard trackpad lovers get what they want. App developers can code for it or not code for it. Chances are, I'd bet, the trackpad crowd are not going to be heavy app consumers.

I don't get what all this backlash is about.
    02-24-14 09:32 AM
    Simple,

Come on BlackBerry.

If you are looking at a developers point of view I think they will readjust their apps. Look at how the developers constantly re-adjust apps on the other two or three platforms. It's the developers job. The more those devices sell, the more developers will bend to the way of BlackBerry consumers, bringing in more apps.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 09:36 AM
    Wasn't responding directly to you, I was responding to the way people are reacting around here in general. Anyway, even if they do it, as long as you have a choice to get a device with a trackpad or without, then what's the difference? You still get what you want, and die-hard trackpad lovers get what they want. App developers can code for it or not code for it. Chances are, I'd bet, the trackpad crowd are not going to be heavy app consumers.

I don't get what all this backlash is about.
    Understandable. However as I stated above, a lot of those users already have other devices. Android or apple or even windows. It's a waste IN MY OPINION, of money that could otherwise be spent on other technologies or bb10

02-24-14 09:36 AM
    So much for the "Keep Moving" theme song.... Best switch to "Nearer to my god to thee"

Bowing to the "older" generation of bbos users isn't the way of the future generation of phone buyers/ corporate users.... Times are changing as should BBRY .... Figure they would have learnt the first time.
    As for the app development worries......what app development ?

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    02-24-14 06:29 PM
    FWIW, the Globe and Mail is reporting in this story about Chen that there will be at least one BB10 device with the "belt" this year.

BlackBerry had been keen to update its user experience after being beaten up for lagging the iPhone. But BlackBerry 10 phones were too much of a departure from past devices for diehard users. Gone was BlackBerry�s trademark �belt� of five function buttons between the screen and keyboard, including a trackpad and the �back� and �menu� buttons that had become as familiar to users as the space bar. Other familiar features and shortcuts from older devices no longer worked. Frustrated BlackBerry devotees returned the new phones in droves and ordered older BlackBerrys instead. The handset business was already unprofitable; thanks to the BlackBerry 10 flop, now it had become the source of billions of dollars in writedowns. �We missed one step, which was to educate the market up front� about the changes, Chen says. �We [thought] that if we built it, everybody will love it.�

The short-term answer to the handset problem is twofold: New BlackBerry phones will continue to use the BlackBerry 10 operating system, but �will have some of the features our power-users love,� says Chen. He doesn�t want to get into specifics, but company sources confirm that the belt of five function keys will start appearing on BlackBerry 10 phones this year.
    02-24-14 07:57 PM

Who says a belt would take away screen real estate? If the screen were to stay 1:1 (and all BB dev sites indicate that there are two resolutions to develop for - the Z30 ratio and Q10 ratio) then that means that the screen would be moved up to accomodate the belt. Therefore no decrease in screen size, just a corresponding increase in overall length at max.
    02-24-14 11:56 PM
    Going backwards is never a good idea. This is BlackBerry unsure of themselves. Lacking confidence. They've bet the company on BB10 and should commit. Changing course now will be the end for sure.
    Shadowyugi and coldRooster like this.
    02-25-14 04:27 AM
    The Q20 is going to be made. I'm sure BlackBerry will figure out how to make apps certified for the Q10 and Q5 work on the Q20.
    02-25-14 06:06 AM
    If business people want it and that's the target group you are going for than go ahead a bring it back.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 06:07 AM
34 12