I have had 3 Blackberries so far and really hated to browse the web with all of them util I found Opera Mini. It is extremely fast compared to RIMs own browser. I just don't get it. Why is it so bad? Why haven't RIM figured out a solution despite all the complaints?
    04-07-11 06:21 AM
    Yea right, just like the Torch was supposed to cure it.
    6.0 did cure did cure it. Can it stand some improvements sure? Sure everything can. Why don't you go and do some test w/ your phone against the torch. You might not be surprised but you'l see you've been unjustly putting down the 6.0 os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 07:18 AM
    Enough with the childish behavior on all parts. Keep it civil and on topic.
    pkcable, BigBadWulf and Culex316 like this.
    04-07-11 09:53 AM
    The OP has a valid point.

I have OS6 on my Bold 9650, and Opera Mini 6 is 50% faster than the stock browser, on average. It is something that has plagued BB's since the beginning. And, I don't think 6.1 will change that. When the Highlander cuts the head off of the legacy BB OS, supposedly in 2012, then we will truly see an improved browsing experience.

It all has to do with priorities for RIM. The stock browser was never high on the list. But, times are changing. "There can be only one..."

04-07-11 10:02 AM
    The OP has a valid point.

I have OS6 on my Bold 9650, and Opera Mini 6 is 50% faster than the stock browser, on average. It is something that has plagued BB's since the beginning. And, I don't think 6.1 will change that. When the Highlander cuts the head off of the legacy BB OS, supposedly in 2012, then we will truly see an improved browsing experience.

It all has to do with priorities for RIM. The stock browser was never high on the list. But, times are changing. "There can be only one..."

To respond to this and one of the OP's points: I've found performance to vary between Opera and the BB browser. Example, Opera does a decent job with the full CB site, while BB does fairly terribly; on the other hand, Opera's performance with BB Beta Zone was pretty much hideous, while BB handles it well.

Browsing may not be RIM's #1 priority, but they do know it needs to be improved. For evidence of that, look at all the reviews for the PlayBook. I do believe you're going to see a marked improvement in the browser in BB 6.1. Nearly double the processor speed of current devices, tweaks to the software, and the integration of Liquid Graphics are going to make a major difference across the board. Will it rival browsing on a dual-core device? Not likely. Will it rival the almighty Thunderbolt? With those kinds of hardware and software improvements, it's quite possible.

And to anybody who doesn't think 6.0 was an improvement over 5.0, particularly on the Torch, you really need to get out more and stop getting all your opinions from You Tube.
    anon(73368) likes this.
    04-07-11 11:12 AM
    The problem with the 6.0 browser is I think the CPU isn't speedy enough for it or it wasn't optimized right for the slower processors. A 1 GHz CPU should fix that up fine, and the fact that the devices coming out this year are 1.2 GHz, then we shouldn't have any problems any more.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-07-11 07:43 PM
    The problem with the 6.0 browser is I think the CPU isn't speedy enough for it or it wasn't optimized right for the slower processors. A 1 GHz CPU should fix that up fine, and the fact that the devices coming out this year are 1.2 GHz, then we shouldn't have any problems any more.
    I think this is a good point to keep in mind, especially with script-heavy web pages. Processing a lot of scripts is heavy work for something only running at 600 MHz with who-knows-what we all leave running in the background.
    04-07-11 09:19 PM
    I can not wait for video to start leaking out to compare browser speed of the new BB to competition to c if the better processor and new os finally gets BB out of the cellar when it comes to a browser experience.....
    04-07-11 09:26 PM
    I don't see the cpu being under speed. Try this, open up app manger and go to cpu usage/now. Using app switcher open a pape then switch back to options and see your cpu usage. The most I've seen the cpu use is 33%. The biggest thing that's going to effect your browser is your connection.

04-07-11 10:20 PM
    Think about it. You expect your phone to render a page authored for a desktop machine. The BlackBerry hardware is simply not fast enough.

On top of that there's BIS compression which saves on bandwidth, but also introduces a delay.

Opera Mini only has to render an extremely streamlined image of the page with just a few coordinates for links and text. It doesn't need to figure out positioning, the server does it based on the requesting device. There's almost no work left for the Opera Mini browser to perform. It's extremely efficient.

Of course, the limitation comes when you need to interact with elements on the page other than selecting text or clicking links. It doesn't have enough info and has to ask the server for assistance whereas the native browser has a complete model of the page to work with.

Most of the time Opera Mini has just enough for what you need and it's very fast without doing much.

Ferretling likes this.
    04-07-11 10:35 PM
    I don't see the cpu being under speed. Try this, open up app manger and go to cpu usage/now. Using app switcher open a pape then switch back to options and see your cpu usage. The most I've seen the cpu use is 33%. The biggest thing that's going to effect your browser is your connection.

Yes the CPU is choking. Try loading the task manager when you are loading a javascript heavy website. You can't. You're comparing when a page is load to when a page is loaded. A page loading is what chokes it.
    04-08-11 02:56 AM
    It amazes me sometimes, how the h3ell do you guys surf the net? Do you just flick trough pages at light speed? Do you not stop to read the page? It can take 3-5 minutes to read a blog page or news article, does it really matter if you have to wait a few extra seconds for the page to load?
    You can win them back by reading faster

04-08-11 03:40 AM
    Yes the CPU is choking. Try loading the task manager when you are loading a javascript heavy website. You can't. You're comparing when a page is load to when a page is loaded. A page loading is what chokes it.
    I'm not talking about looking at the mamger after the page is loaded. Heck then it is useing 0%. When I do this I setup the app manger then useing app switcher go to browser and go to a page. Then quickly useing app switcher I go see how much cpu is being used in app manger. I've never not been able to do it. The only problem I've had is the page loaded faster than I could switch ie I'm on wifi.
    You can see right there on browser in app manger/cpu useage when the page finishes loading cause you see the browser's time share go to 0. If you can't do this you have to much running. I've ran opera mini and I think it stinks. At that time people on felt the same way. I like the BB browser. It is very easy to work the tabs are great to use and right in reach. If I where to change any thing would be the drop down tab screen cause it covers the wst line of the input screen.
    I can't stress enough quit blameing Rim and the cpu for your drag. Check your connection check your habits. Look the cpu is fast enough to play a movie and whatever else. Its fast enough to run this broswer.

Last edited by 13echo4; 04-08-11 at 07:29 AM.
    04-08-11 07:15 AM
    I can't take the slowness of the browser. Thats what had me running away from the Blackberry. If the browser was faster I would of stayed. But I want to come back. lol
    04-08-11 07:26 AM
    I can't take the slowness of the browser. Thats what had me running away from the Blackberry. If the browser was faster I would of stayed. But I want to come back. lol
    You speak the truth!
    04-08-11 01:28 PM
    I have found that Opera Mini loads the pages not only faster, but better. Things just look cleaner and line up better. Yes, the BB browser is not very good...but with a viable alternative, we may as well just use it instead.
    04-08-11 01:52 PM
    This was the reason I put my BlackBerry aside. The browser in OS 6 was an improvement, but it had its drawbacks as well. Most sites worked OK, but it had font issues in several of my favorite sites.

I'd like to see if this improves with a much faster processor.
    Last edited by cdf3; 04-08-11 at 03:12 PM.
    04-08-11 03:09 PM
    I'm not talking about looking at the mamger after the page is loaded. Heck then it is useing 0%. When I do this I setup the app manger then useing app switcher go to browser and go to a page. Then quickly useing app switcher I go see how much cpu is being used in app manger. I've never not been able to do it. The only problem I've had is the page loaded faster than I could switch ie I'm on wifi.
    You can see right there on browser in app manger/cpu useage when the page finishes loading cause you see the browser's time share go to 0. If you can't do this you have to much running. I've ran opera mini and I think it stinks. At that time people on felt the same way. I like the BB browser. It is very easy to work the tabs are great to use and right in reach. If I where to change any thing would be the drop down tab screen cause it covers the wst line of the input screen.
    I can't stress enough quit blameing Rim and the cpu for your drag. Check your connection check your habits. Look the cpu is fast enough to play a movie and whatever else. Its fast enough to run this broswer.

I'm on .524 which is a pretty fast OS for OS 6, and I'm on a Wi-Fi connection at home with a 15-30Mbps downstream from Cox, so I got plenty of bandwidth. The phone still chokes on javascript heavy websites.
    04-08-11 05:09 PM
    Give me an url that you choke on and I'll check it out.

04-09-11 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD