Blackberry is always more expensive than cellphones with similar or better specs. I could easily get an HTC with better specs, faster browser and far more apps available at a lower price then let's say a 9700.

I just don't get why they are sold at a premium compared to other brands.
    04-07-11 06:27 AM
    Build quality is one factor. Another, depending on where you are located, is the subsidy offered by the carrier. Shipping costs for components and where the devices are assembled are also considerations.

Also, to be honest, as far as cost goes, better specs don't always equal a higher price to the manufacturer, or a significantly higher price.
    04-07-11 07:03 AM
    I think it depends on your carrier, really.

Right now the carrier I use (US Cellular) offers only two Blackberry phones, and they are priced wildly differently. The Curve 9330 is only $29.95, while the Bold is $129.99. Both are after mail in rebates.
    04-07-11 07:07 AM
    Blackberry is always more expensive than cellphones with similar or better specs. I could easily get an HTC with better specs, faster browser and far more apps available at a lower price then let's say a 9700.

Let's see.......HTC Thunderbolt is $249, Storm2 is $199....yeah good point, thanks for posting another enlightening thread
    04-07-11 07:22 AM
    Don't forget that RIM hosts its own servers, and constantly is upgrading infrastructure and security.
    Its not just the physical device we are paying for, but we are also funding their developement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 07:24 AM
    Are you really comparing the HTC Thunderbolt to the Storm 2? You just further proved the OP's Point!
    No, I'm saying that the HTC is more expensive than the BB, so what premium are people paying to have a BB as opposed to an HTC?

Last time I checked my son's 6th grade math book, 199 was less than 249.
    04-07-11 07:29 AM
    Let's see.......HTC Thunderbolt is $249, Storm2 is $199....yeah good point, thanks for posting another enlightening thread
    I was talking about phones with no contracts, I don't live in the US...

Here's a price example from Norway:

Blackberry 9780 costs 625 here, whereas an HTC Desire costs 600 bucks even though it has the same specs but a better camera and far more apps available on top of a superior browser....
    04-07-11 07:34 AM
    I think its because one is called the desire. They had to drop it another hundred after naming it that.

04-07-11 07:39 AM
    More apps?most droid apps are useless,I bet most of them are just shortcuts to websites.

04-07-11 07:40 AM
    Have you looked at the prices of an iPhone!

04-07-11 07:42 AM
    More apps?most droid apps are useless,I bet most of them are just shortcuts to websites.

No, I think you're mistaking those for BB apps. Because if that were actually the case, everyone in here wouldn't be so giddy about the Playbook's supposed Android app compatibility.
    04-07-11 07:44 AM
    Have you looked at the prices of an iPhone!

Yes, and iPhone 4 is 30% more expensive than a Blackberry Torch...but honestly I can understand why
    04-07-11 07:53 AM
    In my opinion the price-varieties are fractional in comparison of equivalents devices! The differences depending on fashion, support/subsidization of providers, exchange rate, added value tax, and and and.... One issue could be the market value of the devices, means free endowments like word/excel/pdf/etc. licenses. Also free access to an (own) server (BIS/BES) with own messenger-service you have tp pay for by using other manufaturer... Or the priceless advantage of encrypted datatraffic with own (independent from provider) server-services...and and and....

In my mind a Blackberry is always a reasonable purchase!!!!!
    04-07-11 08:03 AM
    Without contract pricing

Thunder Bolt $599
    Droid X $569
    Storm2 $539

I don't know what goes on in Norway, but again no premium for the BB

and Tucker, spare me the "you're comparing Storm2 to DroidX/Thunderbolt?" nonsense. I get it, you don't like Storm2. Get over it.
    04-07-11 08:16 AM
    Hungary for Europe, Canada and Mexico for USA

04-07-11 08:52 AM
    Where are they made then?
    Really, genius??? ROFLMAO
    Why don't you open yours and have a look.

Hungary for Europe, Canada and Mexico for USA

This is a ******* joke man. Why don't they make them somewhere cheap like China or Korea?
    04-07-11 08:55 AM
    This is a ******* joke man. Why don't they make them somewhere cheap like China or Korea?
    You should be happy some manufacturing remains in Europe.

04-07-11 08:57 AM
    Because there are companies who like creating jobs for people other than in China or Korea. I would much rather pay a little more for a product NOT made in China. As a matter of fact, I go out and look for products NOT made in China.
    04-07-11 08:58 AM
    Do we really wanna live in a world where absolutely everything is made in China?

04-07-11 09:01 AM
    Do we really wanna live in a world where absolutely everything is made in China?

There are a lot of people who enjoy buying prducts filled with lead that are made by children. Ask Apple about that.
    04-07-11 09:03 AM
    Wow this thread is really diving ...funny
    The Torch in India is for $728 while the HTC Desire is for $600. On build quality the Desire is much better, metal unibody, great screen etc, but the Torch comes with a Touchscreen and a Keyboard, and average bulid quality (for this price bracket)
    So Noril does have a point here.
    However, the Curve is for $200. And the beauty is that the curve can do whatever the torch can do...so really there is a phone for each budget. And I don't see any Android phones that cheap (except for the cheap chinese Androids)
    Even so I would buy the more expensive Torch over the better built Androids. Somehow just like my Blackberries ...
    Note:- Before anyone asks the above prices are for phones without plans and unlocked
    04-07-11 09:04 AM
    LOL!!!! This dude's been set up by the usual suspects, right? I have a feeling this is you-know-who with a new account.....

Dude - RIM is trying to rip you off of every last cent you make. That's why they charge what they charge. They made their phones JUST SO NORLI can go broke!!!!

You've found them out!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I'll get in trouble with the mods for that, but I just couldn't resist....
    Nah, the mods can tell that the OP is being ridiculous.

While the OP's question is a total fail, here's another one to ponder...

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Oh wait, I'll start a new thread so I can socialize.

There are no manufacturing in my country anymore and honestly I couldn't care less about what happens outside my borders.
    Oh well then you're right, you're not third world, you're even less.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 04-07-11 at 11:05 AM.
    04-07-11 09:05 AM
    Oh well then you're right, you're not thirld world, you're even less.
    Yes, because only countries with lot's of manufacturing jobs are 1st world like China, Vietnam and India.

And countries with no manufacturing like Switzerland are less than 3rd world, right?

RIGHT?!
    04-07-11 09:08 AM
116 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD