Could it be, that when you crush a BlackBerry (the real fruit) it leaves a purple stain everywhere?
    Hmmmm... was it a secret motivational metaphor?
    11-11-21 10:51 PM
    Could it be, that when you crush a BlackBerry (the real fruit) it leaves a purple stain everywhere?
    Hmmmm... was it a secret motivational metaphor?
    The purple is very pink,
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-12-21 03:50 AM
    Lot of companies have a logic to their project names so there was likely a Project Blue, Green, etc. There's not that muxh thought that goes into the name of a project beyond it not giving any indication of what it relates to.
    11-12-21 07:12 PM
    Lot of companies have a logic to their project names so there was likely a Project Blue, Green, etc. There's not that muxh thought that goes into the name of a project beyond it not giving any indication of what it relates to.
    Apple didn't have any other known color-coded Secret project names for their secret projects. However apparently they once tried to use a "Carl Sagan" named project. He got solar wind of it and complained, they then renamed it to "BHA" - Butt head astronomer. He apparently sued and so they settled on "LAW" - Lawyers are wimps. So, no, no other color coded secret project names other than the BlackBerry crushing "Purple".
    11-13-21 01:15 AM
    welcome to Crackberry where we look under leaves and stones for conspiracies.
    11-16-21 09:48 AM
    welcome to Crackberry where we look under leaves and stones for conspiracies.
    Or just something new to talk about... and if we can wack Apple or Google in the process, so much the better I guess.
    11-16-21 11:49 AM
    Or just something new to talk about... and if we can wack Apple or Google in the process, so much the better I guess.
    you should have seen how great a QB I was in high school. I'm the whole reason Tom Brady is who he is. The only reason you've heard of him and not me is....
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and pdr733 like this.
    11-16-21 12:09 PM
    Poor Tom Brady, he's obviously the best, why haven't all the other teams folded, save #2, and have all the money invested in only those two teams. lol (if we are going to use that metaphor).
    11-16-21 11:04 PM
    Poor Tom Brady, he's obviously the best, why haven't all the other teams folded, save #2, and have all the money invested in only those two teams. lol (if we are going to use that metaphor).
    Actually we do have only one NFL, and that NFL has to actually distribute revenue to keep 32 teams alive to make competition interesting. Overall they operate very much as one business (with multiple franchises with a very extreme level of rev sharing)

But remember:

- Competition in sports IS the product. That's the whole point. Phones are about communication. Very few care about competition, because that isn't the product.

- Other leagues don't exist, even though it's been tried, because having multiple standards and venues for football doesn't make economic sense. That's been proven. That's a lot like how app stores and frameworks work for very similar reasons. That's why Android dominates.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 11-17-21 at 10:30 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-17-21 10:05 AM
    Actually we do have only one NFL, and that NFL has to actually distribute revenue to keep 32 teams alive to make competition interesting. Overall they operate very much as one business (with multiple franchises with a very extreme level of rev sharing)

But remember:

- Competition in sports IS the product. That's the whole point. Phones are about communication. Very few care about competition, because that isn't the product.

- Other leagues don't exist, even though it's been tried, because having multiple standards and venues for football doesn't make economic sense. That's been proven. That's a lot like how app stores and frameworks work for very similar reasons. That's why Android dominates.
    We only have one country , one planet. And one of some other important things, but for other things there should be more than one or two. (and of course there are plenty of sports leagues around the world).
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 11-17-21 at 08:28 PM.
    11-17-21 08:03 PM
    We only have one country , one planet. And one of some other important things, but for other things there should be more than one or two. (and of course there are plenty of sports leagues around the world).
    I would say that a little differently. I would say it's nice to have more options, but there are trade-offs. Depending on the situation, having options [3, 4, ... n] may be economically infeasible or may require some structure to force those options into feasibility.

But there are situations where that just doesn't make any sense. And there are definitely many cases where once a market becomes mature, you tend to see fewer choices. Take personal computers, for example. There used to be many different OS's for personal use computers. Some were cool. Most died because they couldn't make it. It happens and it's totally natural.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-18-21 01:03 PM
    I would say that a little differently. I would say it's nice to have more options, but there are trade-offs. Depending on the situation, having options [3, 4, ... n] may be economically infeasible or may require some structure to force those options into feasibility.

But there are situations where that just doesn't make any sense. And there are definitely many cases where once a market becomes mature, you tend to see fewer choices. Take personal computers, for example. There used to be many different OS's for personal use computers. Some were cool. Most died because they couldn't make it. It happens and it's totally natural.
    Back when I had cable... was a restaurant show where a chef went in and tried to save a failing restaurant. In most cases one of the issues was always the menu and that attempt to offer too many options. Sometimes there would be a menu with pages and pages of different items. This lead to high cost in inventory, and at time poor quality as things didn't get thrown out and were frozen or allowed to go past the point they should be served.

In the end the consolidation of the smartphone market is a natural selection type thing.... survival of the fittest. No surprising that BlackBerry couldn't "survive", but MS not being able to do it... that was a shock. Just shows it wasn't just about money.... as with most things, timing is everything.
    11-18-21 01:37 PM
    The McDonalds brothers figured out that their drive-in, which sold several dozen items, had only a handful of items that represented over 80% of all sales. They decided to optimize and dumped everything but burgers, fries, sodas, and shakes. There were a few customers who complained that they could no longer get a chili dog, but this optimization - which they extended to all other aspects of the business - turned out to be the key to the brand's success.
    pdr733 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-28-21 11:22 PM
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/17...scott-forstall

"it was Jobs' hatred of a particular Microsoft executive that sparked his interest in tablet computing."
    12-07-21 04:51 PM
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/17...scott-forstall

"it was Jobs' hatred of a particular Microsoft executive that sparked his interest in tablet computing."
    "Forstall recalled how he and Jobs were sitting at lunch one day with their phones. They both hated the clunky interfaces offered by market leaders like Blackberry,"

In the end while BlackBerry had a hardcore fanbase.... there were also many users that hated using a BlackBerry. Now sometimes that was due to corporate policies on retention. But BlackBerry really could have been more forward thinking and took more interest in those millions of consumers that started buying their products in 2006 onward... Was really nothing wrong with BB10 in 2014, other than it was about four or five years too late (BB10 in 2013 was still a train wreck).
    12-13-21 01:46 PM
    Maybe hating the "Microsoft executive" story was all part of the top secret language surrounding the Blackberry purple crushing project. After all everybody has thought about hating a microsoft executive at one time or the other, blue screen of death aside, so that would have easily blended into the noise of the day. lol.
    12-30-21 01:50 AM