Okay so I'm visiting the states again for a couple of months but had forgotten your pricing peculiarities

not that it's wrong just different

In the u.k. the price you see on the sticker is the price you pay at the till so you know the price the minute you pick it up

also if the seller wants to discount a price they discount it at the time of sale

you have mail in rebate..i am guessing thats used because many people do not take up mail in rebate 100% so the company does better ..our companies just discount it there and then..no mail in rebate at all

and the tax thing at the till why can't sellers add the tax on the advertised price instead of at the till?

nothing wrong with the u.s. system it just seems rigged against the buyer/customer

any input would be good
    08-06-09 04:50 PM
    nothing wrong with the u.s. system it just seems rigged against the buyer/customer
    personally, i think that's the reason for all of the above mentioned peculiarities.
    08-06-09 04:58 PM
    Taxes vary state to state and companies want to advertise the lowest price possible.
    08-06-09 05:33 PM
    Ditto. You can't go shopping for anything expensive or technical without doing research first so you know more about the product than the nit wit selling it.
    08-06-09 05:36 PM
    Taxes vary state to state and companies want to advertise the lowest price possible.
    I expected this one..if every state said..no tax added at the till it must be declared on the price tag then each state could place thier own tax in this way and declare it

this wouldn't matter what each state charged but would make it illegal not to declare it on the price tag

as to mail in rebate..it's a con..if the company is going to give you that discount why can't they give it to you at the point of purchase...in the shop
    08-06-09 08:29 PM
    You should stop trying to make sense of american sales techniques. It will only give you a headache.
    08-06-09 08:33 PM
    You should stop trying to make sense of american sales techniques. It will only give you a headache.
    true. these things are non-sensical for a very good reason.

it keeps people confused all the time. eventually, everyone stops questioning it and just pays.
    the most obvious explanation is normally the correct one.
    08-06-09 11:43 PM
    I expected this one..if every state said..no tax added at the till it must be declared on the price tag then each state could place thier own tax in this way and declare it

this wouldn't matter what each state charged but would make it illegal not to declare it on the price tag

as to mail in rebate..it's a con..if the company is going to give you that discount why can't they give it to you at the point of purchase...in the shop
    Large chains have fixed prices. Why should they have to have different signage state-to-state because some people aren't smart enough to remember there will be tax? And, taxes change often. It's easier to change a software program that changes it at the register than to change a bunch of signage, labels, etc.

With the mail-in rebate, it's not a "con", it's an incentive. If you can't be bothered to follow through, then you don't get the incentive.
    08-07-09 12:41 AM
    Actually the mail in rebate is a benefit to both the customer and
    the company.

The customer get a few dollars off a phone that they may not
    have purchased without the incentive.

For the company there are several benefits, the most important
    of which is to collect the full price in one fiscal period and
    defer the liability (the rebates) to another.

For example if the company offered a mail in rebate at the
    end September their sales would increase during that period
    because they collected the full sales price.
    The actual liability (the rebates)would not be a factor until
    the 4th quarter where the sales increase from the holidays would
    negate them. Additionally until they start paying out those
    rebates, that money is earning interest (one would hope)

It may all seem convoluted but it really is a win-win for both.
    08-07-09 01:34 AM
    Actually the mail in rebate is a benefit to both the customer and
    the company.

The customer get a few dollars off a phone that they may not
    have purchased without the incentive.

For the company there are several benefits, the most important
    of which is to collect the full price in one fiscal period and
    defer the liability (the rebates) to another.

For example if the company offered a mail in rebate at the
    end September their sales would increase during that period
    because they collected the full sales price.
    The actual liability (the rebates)would not be a factor until
    the 4th quarter where the sales increase from the holidays would
    negate them. Additionally until they start paying out those
    rebates, that money is earning interest (one would hope)

It may all seem convoluted but it really is a win-win for both.
    Always wanted to understand this.
    08-08-09 10:31 AM
    Looks more like fiddling the companies accounts to suit the books and investors

but if it's what your used to and it works for you then hey why not

I just prefer the discount at the time of purchase and not having to chase it around
    08-08-09 01:17 PM
    The mail in rebate is pretty simple. The company that is selling the part is not offering the discount, but the manufactor is offering it. For example I work in retail. So if a customes comes in and buys a product I charge full price and he mails the flyer in and the people that made the product mail them the money. So I as the middle mab don't lose any $$$ and if and if you think just buy a CD or a shirt is complicated try working in auto parts, where you have warehouse pricing, jobber pricing, installer pricing, dealer pricing,and walk in pricing. 5 different pricing groups for one item.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 02:18 PM
    You have to get what he is saying though. I have traveled the world. and when the first "cell" phones came in, well, it was cool, but it was just an expense I couldn't handle at all, with a family in the states. But then the pricing got more affordable. So I gave in to that "new" thing. Many years later, I am not faced with the same dillemna, but a more technical kind of agenda.

I have many carriers in the states offering me almost the same thing, same talk plans, same texting packages, same mms package. We, in america, are so enthralled with the "phone", "DEVICE", But, we love the Rebate. What has the rebate to do with it? A little bit of money saved for horrid plans later on. I say look at the phone first, and decide what is going to be your biggest payment in the next 2 years? It should be your house payment. 2nd, your entertainment for your child payment, 3rd well of course your wife going to a spa payment, , and 4th your celly payment, or maybe 8th, I have to figure in the car payment, 401K payment,
    Aruba Vacation Payment.............

Parking at Myrtle Beach Payment............

House in the Hamptons for the Summer...........

And not least but last, the get real payment. Take care of the Kids, The Wife, and the Friends Payment. Treat all like you haven't been here before. Take care of them all and be a new family again. i wish i , notice the lower case i's . . . i feel like that right now. Shoulda learned b4 now. You gotta treat a lady like a lady.

Ok, I quiet for now. Love you all.
    08-08-09 10:35 PM
    In the u.k. the price you see on the sticker is the price you pay at the till so you know the price the minute you pick it up
    That sounds to simple to be true...shopping here in the states is complicated. Especially now since sales tax in California have been raised, it'll be at 10% soon enough!

As for rebates, I've never had an issue with not being able to collect. I'll take advantage of them whenever I can, I just didn't realize that there was incentive for the companies too, good to know.
    08-10-09 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD