I travel regulary from the U.K. to the U.S

First thing I noticed was the gas price where I am in the U.S. at the momment your gas is around $2.49 a gallon

but in the U.K. we pay at the momment around $8 a gallon

But for some reason our airtravel is much cheaper

An example.. I fly from heathrow london to the midwest and the cost return fair is around the $650

But recently I checked whilst in the U.S. for the same trip with the same airline and it cost $803

so the question is if your gas is two thirds cheaper why is your airfair one third more exspensive?
    06-08-09 10:27 AM
    Huh? This ia silly post number 2 for you...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Last edited by bumblesbounce; 06-08-09 at 10:40 AM.
    06-08-09 10:33 AM
    please explain why it is silly?
    06-08-09 10:43 AM
    First off aircraft do not take the same fuel as cars, most airplanes take jet A fuel at KTOL (airport close to me) jet A is $3.53/gallon while reg unleaded is around here is $2.70/gallon which makes jet A not that bad. The US also charges many more fees than other countries, I doubt the UK charges a 9/11 fee, we do (check the ticket break down).
    06-08-09 10:53 AM
    please explain why it is silly?
    You're using one specific flight to generalize an entire nation's price structure. For starters.

06-08-09 07:39 PM
    Bumble thanks for the stalking

I used 1 flight for an example I also travel around the states a lot and find generally considering your fuel is cheaper your flights are very exspensive

c norton thanks for an intelligent reply

I would imagine the distance between regular fuel and aviation is probably not to dissimilar on both sides of the atlantic

I have to be honest I would not have known there was a 911 tax. I know when we had the troubles with the IRA we didn't have a terrorism tax and since you mentioned it I checked my trans atlantic ticket and do not have an 911 tax on it

I would also suppose thinking about it also that my flight into the midwest I only incurr one state tax but if I fly internal then many states have different tax rates and that may kick in as multiple state taxes all being added on
    06-10-09 09:56 AM
    I'm getting a ticket from boston to atlanta for 99 bucks!

EDIT//
    Just found one for 69 bucks! WAAAAHOOOOO!
    Last edited by thinkamp; 06-10-09 at 10:06 AM.
    06-10-09 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD