So I got this letter in the mail stating that I have completed paying off my student loans. Gave me insight to make this thread.

How many of you actual use the degree related classes you took in college? I majored in electrical engineering and have never used it once. Sure I have replaced batteries in my remote and installed a ceiling fan but no one time at work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 11:44 AM
    Nope. My degree was in fashion merchandising and adverstising but I have been a surety/fidelity bond underwriter for over 10 years, which is financial analysis.

I did work retail for a few years and could put together a wicked wall set, and to this day still walk into a store and for a split second assess the visual appeal of the merchandising and displays lol.
    08-27-09 12:05 PM
    Yeah as soon as I got out I joined the military, now I do data research and logistics for a government agency. I use what I learned in the military every day but never once used differential equations or thermal dynamics or anything else once.

08-27-09 12:12 PM
    I have an Civil Engineering degree and have been working as a Civil Engineer for 25 years. However, of all the knowledge I rely on on a daily basis, 90% was gained during that period, and about 10% is college.
    08-27-09 01:08 PM
    I have an MS in Mechanical Engineering and I've been a Mechanical Engineer for 7 years now. I've only had to apply about half of what I've learned to my profession so far. I know...sad huh.
    08-27-09 01:22 PM
    and this is why I dropped out of college.

I was an art major for a year just because it interested me when I was 19 (and still does)
    I suppose you could say I did learn some things but nothing practical.
    but art is a little different than engineering.

My sister just graduated with a degree in Graphic Design and she works as a teacher/babysitter for autistic children.
    08-27-09 01:37 PM
    My sister just graduated with a degree in Graphic Design and she works as a teacher/babysitter for autistic children.
    WTF?! How did that come about?
    08-27-09 01:43 PM
    Just luck honestly. She was always interested in the medical field, especially with children. She changed her major a couple times from different medical professions and eventually landed on graphic design.
    I think it kind of just fell into her lap tho.
    08-27-09 01:47 PM
    I use about 10%, haha. As the engineers here know, my job managing a wastewater treatment plant is about 90% experience - I also went back to school to finish my degree after I was promoted to my current position. Thought it would give me more credibility, see what I get for thinking!

08-27-09 02:19 PM
    Just luck honestly. She was always interested in the medical field, especially with children. She changed her major a couple times from different medical professions and eventually landed on graphic design.
    I think it kind of just fell into her lap tho.
    Yeah, you'd think that she would need a degree in education, or at least have majored in education at one point. Lol

I use about 10%, haha. As the engineers here know, my job managing a wastewater treatment plant is about 90% experience - I also went back to school to finish my degree after I was promoted to my current position. Thought it would give me more credibility, see what I get for thinking!
    You know you're the man Mike.
    08-27-09 02:28 PM
    Yeah, you'd think that she would need a degree in education, or at least have majored in education at one point. Lol

One would think. I don't know all the details but I know she works for a private firm, she is still taking some online courses for a certification she's working on, she only works with one little girl with Assburgers (I only know how it's pronounced, I can't spell it) and she's paid cash by the girl's mother.
    I think she was contracted thru the firm but ultimately works for individual clients.
    08-27-09 03:00 PM
    I remember sitting in a very tedious fire hydraulics class many years ago. It was full of formulas and calculations pertaining to hose size, engine pressure, up hill, down hill, etc. After the test was over the captain who was our trainer said "Guys ( no females in that class ), you've learned a lot and hopefully can efficiently apply what you've learned out on the fire ground. There is only one thing I want you to take away though... just put the wet stuff on the red stuff!"
    08-27-09 03:57 PM
    I use my AS at work everyday. I'm finishing up my BS then grabbing a masters and a PhD after that. Big munniez!!
    08-28-09 05:50 AM
    i learned alot about drinking and smoking pot.
    still use those skills today.
    08-28-09 08:05 AM
    Everyday. I majored in Accounting and as a Municipal Fiance
    Accountant, what i learned in college is vital to to my work.
    08-28-09 10:21 AM
    i learned alot about drinking and smoking pot.
    still use those skills today.
    I learned THAT in high school, but gave it up 7/23/2002.
    08-28-09 10:26 AM
    Friggin' hippies.
    08-28-09 10:29 AM
    I'm still in college now. I shall be a senior this year. My major is business finance and a minor in accounting. I have a job @ a bank doing accting. Been there for about a year. And a lot of the concepts I learned in college do apply to my job. Lol. And lol @ robot. And amazinggrace, kool job. Hahaha. Holla guys. :-)

08-28-09 01:59 PM
    I learned THAT in high school, but gave it up 7/23/2002.
    you remember the exact day? sounds like it must have been an event.
    08-28-09 02:11 PM
    I never went to one day of college in my life. Every job I've had REQUIRED a college degree. I would just bluster and BS may way into the job and prove myself. I always got paid very well & managed college grads regularly. My resume is impressive and I'm good at selling myself.

Well... I got laid off in April (along with everyone else at the company). Now, with a lot of competition for every available job (all 3 of them) I need every engle I can get. I'm broke, and desperate. Too old to start school (I know, "never too old" - whatever).

So, if you think you don't use what you LEARNED. That's one thing, but whether you know it or not - you use your degree every day. I don't get the interview and the grad does. You may not even know the degree was the reason you got the job in the first place. Even if your job is not related to your field of study - it helped you land the job. I interviewed for a job last week. I was told I was "over qualified". It was my exact job. I was perfect for it. The interviewer actually said, "sorry, we want you for the job. But, the position requires a degree."
    Last edited by alex1; 08-29-09 at 02:22 AM.
    08-28-09 02:28 PM
    Yeah that was my point... The piece of paper is pretty much the only thing that matters. I just wish I knew that in college, I would have taken something a lot more interesting. I am studying for my Gmat that I take in Oct, I know that my MBA helps in promotions at least.

08-28-09 10:06 PM
    What's college? I learn my stuff from books and use that knowledge everyday! I don't need no fancy paper saying I got this and that.

08-29-09 11:54 AM
    My degree is in Mass Communication/Journalism/Public Relations.

I work with at-risk youth so I'm going with a big, fat no. =)
    08-30-09 12:41 PM
    Got a degree in psychology.. maybe as general knowledge it's come useful.. but no skills or experience from acquiring the degree has ever helped me in the work place.

Disappointing to have 4 yrs and thousands of dollars dumped into it. Not worth the paper it was printed on. Well, at least it looks kinda cool on my wall.

On the bright side, having decent marks has helped me join a business program.
    08-30-09 01:04 PM
    I got my BA from Purdue in Criminology/Criminal Justice. My very first day as an L.A. County Deputy Sheriff, I realized everything I learned was bull****. Twenty one years later, that hasn't changed.
    08-30-09 07:12 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD