Any predictions of where RIM will be in the market in roughly five years? I truly hope that we will be looking back and seeing a good turnaround....
    07-02-11 12:42 PM
    that depends, are they going to continue down their current track or are the serious about changing things and getting the new phones out on time, same with QNX phones. if they slide on those like they have with everything else lately its hard to say what they will be doing in 5 years
    07-02-11 01:03 PM
    RIM will cease to exist as we know them. They will be bought out by another company.
    07-02-11 01:11 PM
    I predict that sometime in the next 5 years (which is arguably an entire era in the tech/digital market), even WebOS or Microsoft will have punched up to the first or second slot at some point during that time. Nobody is out in the mobile market.

Yeah... I said it.
    07-02-11 01:22 PM
    1. Android
    2. Windows Phone
    3. WebOS
    4. Apple iOS or BlackBerry QNX
    5. MeeGo?

RIM needs to put out some fantastic QNX devices by mid 2012 in order to survive. If they don't, they will be nothing more than a memory like Palm...
    Last edited by Rainforrest; 07-02-11 at 01:54 PM.
    07-02-11 01:46 PM
    I will be thinking one of two things:

Mad at myself for not investing all of my savings in RIM's stock because it more than doubled in five years and I was too scared to invest in RIM, but if I had invested I would be rich now.

Or...

Man, I'm glad I didn't invest any money in RIM back in 2011 because the stock is worthless now, I would have lost almost everything.
    07-02-11 02:20 PM
    If they carry on as they are, they will be taken over for all the goddies and patents they own. There will then be massive layoffs but there will still be a loyal user base. RIM will disapear but the BlackBerry name will live on for brand loyalty.

If the ditch their current management and ut in some people who understand more than "AT&T buy our phones.", then RIM can survive as it is today. Even with new management RIM will continue to lose market share for the next 3 years unti new products have firmly established themselves in the marketplace and in the consumer mindset.

That will only happen if the new gys get the products right.
    07-02-11 02:43 PM
    I really think RIM will be in one of 2 places:

RIM will be a second tier direct to business mobile solutions provider, partnering with Carriers to give service for the devices they make.

OR

RIM will be in a Batter for second place with Windows & iPhone, behind Android which will be the dominate OS due to being included on every featurephone, and every cheap and nasty tablet.

For RIM to achieve the #2 spot, they need to do a LOT.

RIM needs to foster a large app community, who are excited to build Applications for the RIM line of devices; to Foster this community they will need MANY things.
    * Develop SDK for multiple languages
    * Create a Robust and easy to use Developers forum and Knowledge base
    * Streamline OS's so that the App written for the Curve, works, on the Bold, works on the Style, works on the Torch, works on the Pearl, works on the Volt etc!
    * Regular developer challenges, get the competitive juices flowing in the developers

RIM Needs to get a more forward outlook on hardware design:
    Chipsets have a shelf life of 1 development cycle, that is it!
    People didn't know they wanted a slab of glass till Apple told them, there are many things people don't know they want, let your design team play with theories! more trail form factors without killing your existing lines would be welcome, the Style, not an amazing seller, but truly a fantastic Smartphone for the construction and industrial sector.
    Lets address form factors, and hardware specs, you don't need to be the cutting edge, but at least be close to it.

on the OS side of things, though I DO believe apps help make a platform, I want the OS to continue to develop as if Apps didn't matter, I want the features built out of the box that don't need apps, and I feel RIM needs to follow this path while fostering the apps path,

IF RIM does all of that, they'll surely be back at the top, they have a very scalable OS just starting out, they have a lot of smart people working there they need to retain, and they do have a following, data security will always be a priority, RIM just needs to make sure it remains one of theirs and they stay top of the pile
    07-02-11 02:49 PM
    Android will rule the roost followed by either Apple or RIM. Windows coming in at forth. WebOS will written off has been because HP is not serious enough to pursue it. Once windows 8 is out they will ditch webOs for tablets and they will move out of mobile phone market too. HP's bread and butter is not consumer goods anymore they are slowly moving fulltime into network switches, server, services and enterprise market. Rumors suggest they are also waiting to ditch their consumer PC divison.
    07-02-11 05:15 PM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I feel the problem is less about the phones than marketing. BB started as a business product and I don't think they ever figured out how to market to consumers. Apple and Android started as consumer products and have generated a lot of buzz and picked up lots of first time smartphone buyers. BB needs to get a larger number of switchers to at least check out their phones and up to now they have left that entirely to the carriers. There is a lot of brand loyalty among BB users, but they need to capture more of first time smartphone users and more of the switchers to get some market share gains. Where BB is in 5 years really swings on improving their marketing.

07-02-11 06:08 PM
    I think they'll be out of the retail and hardware markets. They will provide secure email services to Govt and business. Oh, and live off the patents they just bought.
    Jim will have married a hooker from Toronto after the scandal about his gay relationship with Mike comes out. Mike will have retired to a cabin in the woods somewhere with his driver/companion blackjack.
    07-02-11 06:16 PM
    They will strictly be confined to outside of North America and world governments. Other than pay-go, unless things change drasticly, RIM is DOA in the consumer market. It's a damn shame.
    jerry12 likes this.
    07-02-11 07:13 PM
    I really think RIM will be in one of 2 places:

RIM will be a second tier direct to business mobile solutions provider, partnering with Carriers to give service for the devices they make.

OR

RIM will be in a Batter for second place with Windows & iPhone, behind Android which will be the dominate OS due to being included on every featurephone, and every cheap and nasty tablet.

For RIM to achieve the #2 spot, they need to do a LOT.

RIM needs to foster a large app community, who are excited to build Applications for the RIM line of devices; to Foster this community they will need MANY things.
    * Develop SDK for multiple languages
    * Create a Robust and easy to use Developers forum and Knowledge base
    * Streamline OS's so that the App written for the Curve, works, on the Bold, works on the Style, works on the Torch, works on the Pearl, works on the Volt etc!
    * Regular developer challenges, get the competitive juices flowing in the developers

RIM Needs to get a more forward outlook on hardware design:
    Chipsets have a shelf life of 1 development cycle, that is it!
    People didn't know they wanted a slab of glass till Apple told them, there are many things people don't know they want, let your design team play with theories! more trail form factors without killing your existing lines would be welcome, the Style, not an amazing seller, but truly a fantastic Smartphone for the construction and industrial sector.
    Lets address form factors, and hardware specs, you don't need to be the cutting edge, but at least be close to it.

on the OS side of things, though I DO believe apps help make a platform, I want the OS to continue to develop as if Apps didn't matter, I want the features built out of the box that don't need apps, and I feel RIM needs to follow this path while fostering the apps path,

IF RIM does all of that, they'll surely be back at the top, they have a very scalable OS just starting out, they have a lot of smart people working there they need to retain, and they do have a following, data security will always be a priority, RIM just needs to make sure it remains one of theirs and they stay top of the pile
    the chip set is what got them in the mess that they are now Rim was going to go with the same old chip set just over clock it to bumb it up to 800MHz.
    07-02-11 07:18 PM
    I HOPE to see RIM growing in 5 years!

But I expect that Google and Apple with iPhone and other devices will be the first!
    07-02-11 07:19 PM
    Android will rule the roost followed by either Apple or RIM. Windows coming in at forth. WebOS will written off has been because HP is not serious enough to pursue it. Once windows 8 is out they will ditch webOs for tablets and they will move out of mobile phone market too. HP's bread and butter is not consumer goods anymore they are slowly moving fulltime into network switches, server, services and enterprise market. Rumors suggest they are also waiting to ditch their consumer PC divison.
    I really hope that this isn't true. I really like HP's products.
    07-02-11 07:45 PM
    1. RIM
    2. Android
    3. Tie Apple and Microsoft
    07-02-11 08:00 PM
    I think they'll be in the same spot they are now... Disappointing people and somehow making money...
    07-02-11 09:43 PM
    RIM obviously needs to remake itself, even though they have no debt, with their stock in a slump, they'll eventually have no capital to develop new projects. They need to act now to continue on. If the "letters to RIM" are real, and the company is in the doldrums, they need to have a management makeover. As far as products, they only need to look through the CrackBerry forums to see how to improve their phones. I can't guess where RIM will be in 5 years, the ball is in RIM's court.
    07-02-11 11:22 PM
    Bought out by Microsoft

07-03-11 12:10 AM
    I doubt anything will even happen with RIM at all. They'll improve, or decline steadily. Either way, i'm sticking with them until the end.

07-03-11 03:16 AM
    Waterloo, Canada.

07-03-11 03:17 AM
    Redmond. MSFT. I'm guessing Ballmer is having his goons going over the books as we speak. It'll be designed as a "Rescue" package to save face for the Canadian Govt.
    Last edited by kevinnugent; 07-03-11 at 03:38 AM.
    07-03-11 03:36 AM
    I see RIM being still in a tight spot in 5 years time. It took Apple like 25 years to really get out of their mess.
    07-03-11 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD