So, lately I have been trying everything to get some of my contacts to start using BBM again.

I have highlighted the new features, shown the ease of adding contacts, and how it basically replaces three apps (instant messaging/video calling/social sharing).

None of this worked, it really seems the 0-effort method of adding contacts on Whatsapp is all that matters. Even if that means giving them unlimited access to all your phonenumbers. And even if it means getting less functionality.

People just do not believe in BBM, even when demonstrated.
    _____

So then I decided to try their own approach, using big words and making up arguments. But then suddenly they actually turn aggressive and defensive of WA, like it is a part of them
    Even more now that the Facebook news broke. I thought this was the perfect opportunity to convince some of my more social-sceptical friends. They always shout that FB is too powerful, and that you should be careful about sharing personal information. But now suddenly with Whatsapp, they say FB is doing the right thing. And they seem to think I am some sort of payed BlackBerry agent, and now call me hypocritical.

Is anyone else getting the same? I really do not understand why they would not at least try to switch, I mean we all want to make sure we use the best apps. Right?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    02-20-14 07:54 AM
    Honestly, all my friends switched to BBM and those who didn't, I dropped. I refuse to keep Whatsapp on my phone...a memory hog.
    02-20-14 07:59 AM
    Honestly, all my friends switched to BBM and those who didn't, I dropped. I refuse to keep Whatsapp on my phone...a memory hog.
    Glad I'm not the only one who found this to be the case.

@MrGlenn, you can only push so far. Me, I don't talk phones with anyone unless they ask me about my Z10 or on the rare occasion that they have something that looks interesting to me. Phones and politics are pretty much left out of casual conversation except when I know we share a common interest. Otherwise it's just not worth the heat that will likely ensue.
    OniBerry likes this.
    02-20-14 10:16 AM
    Ironically, Android users say BBM is a memory hog. 20MB vs 80MB for whatsapp or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 10:21 AM
    Well to be fair, BBM could replace 3 apps. Instant messaging, voice messaging, blog posting. So you should also compare the memory usage to apps that also have all that functionality. Not saying BBM uses 0% battery, that would be ridiculous, but it is hardly the battery drainer people make it out to be.
    At worst it is just similar to other apps that offer the same.
    02-20-14 01:11 PM
    Until BlackBerry resolves cross platform issues with notifications it is silly to consider BBM a replacement for anything.

I'm tired of carrying the bag for BlackBerry. I'd convinced dozens of iOS users to try BBM. It was so unreliable that most have already given up.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    stalemate1 likes this.
    02-20-14 01:18 PM
    So, lately I have been trying everything to get some of my contacts to start using BBM again.

I have highlighted the new features, shown the ease of adding contacts, and how it basically replaces three apps (instant messaging/video calling/social sharing).

None of this worked, it really seems the 0-effort method of adding contacts on Whatsapp is all that matters. Even if that means giving them unlimited access to all your phonenumbers. And even if it means getting less functionality.

People just do not believe in BBM, even when demonstrated.
    _____

So then I decided to try their own approach, using big words and making up arguments. But then suddenly they actually turn aggressive and defensive of WA, like it is a part of them
    Even more now that the Facebook news broke. I thought this was the perfect opportunity to convince some of my more social-sceptical friends. They always shout that FB is too powerful, and that you should be careful about sharing personal information. But now suddenly with Whatsapp, they say FB is doing the right thing. And they seem to think I am some sort of payed BlackBerry agent, and now call me hypocritical.

Is anyone else getting the same? I really do not understand why they would not at least try to switch, I mean we all want to make sure we use the best apps. Right?

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Don't take this the wrong way. Often if something just "works" (even if its not very good or brilliant) people will stay with it. I've tried convincing someone that uses what's app but he really doesn't care what he uses, so he'd rather just stick with what's app as its already been setup on the phone.

Interns of them thinking that you are a bb agent, do you drive an Aston Martin DB9 and wear nothing but tuxedos and sunglasses...then I'd understand how they get that assumption.
    02-20-14 02:47 PM
    I'm an unemployed student living in a one-room attic apartment. No car, but I do own a pair of sunglasses
    ...Interns of them thinking that you are a bb agent, do you drive an Aston Martin DB9 and wear nothing but tuxedos and sunglasses...then I'd understand how they get that assumption...

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    02-20-14 03:52 PM
    I'm an unemployed student living in a one-room attic apartment. No car, but I do own a pair of sunglasses

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Maybe they thought you were undercover.
    02-21-14 04:22 AM
    that's exactly the reaction i get. they even turn against me, like i want them something bad. they usually don't care too much about the "mobile media" and only have that vague feeling that blackberry must be something entirely bad. i'm almost afraid to ask some of my friends to install bbm. something went wrong along that way...
    02-21-14 04:55 AM
    I just hope - if BBM does eventually become more frequently used here in Europe - it will be before the "IM bubble" collapses or the next big social gimmick arrives.

For now I would settle for a Windows Phone version (maybe this will come with the rumoured Blend?) because I am tired of the same discussion:
    "Try BBM, the latest version is great!"
    - "I don't have a BB device"
    "No, BBM is on iOS/Android now too"
    - "Lol they finally gave up on BB10?"
    "No, they just want to increase the userbase"
    - "And then they skip Windows? Lol, not really multiplatform then."
    "I never said that, and Windows is also a pretty small player."
    - "Stop making excuses for BB. Just buy a proper phone and use the apps we use."
    "Just try BBM, it will change your mind. If I had an iOS/Droid I would certainly want the best app, right?"
    "Lolno, I have Whatsapp/Skype/Hangouts/Viber/Wechat. I'm already invested in them."

And now that I have removed WA from my device, I am getting a ****load of negative feedback dumped all over me (funnily enough, through the other 5 social platforms people can still 'instantly' message me from). Like I am some kind of traitor.
    02-21-14 05:20 AM