Being in America, I only have got snippets of stories and press conferences. It seems to me, that he's totally out of control; but that may not truly be the case.

Is he an effective legislator? Does he do a good job in office? I heard from one report that his approval ratings have gone up since the whole crack scandal began. True?

I'm sorry for asking on this forum, but it's the only place where I know that Canadians hang out.

Edit: it's also so ironic that this is in the "Rehab" sub-forum. (sorry, but it had to be said.)

Posted via CB10 from my seksi Z10 (STL100-3 | OS 10.2.0.1791/.811 Radio and a bunch of bars from newer builds, too.)
    11-14-13 04:06 PM
    Mainstream media is all over him due to his actions. What he did was wrong but it was also a mistake. He sincerely apologized and wants to move on.

I'm pretty sure a lot of politicians have made a mistakes when they were young. Who hasn't? We're humans.

As for political side, he actually has made a Toronto a better place. It could be better but he isn't doing a bad job. His personal life sucks, but his work ethics isn't as bad as a lot of politicians out there.

Our tax money is used to upgrade this city. I'm not complaining.
    11-14-13 04:14 PM
    That's good to hear. I figured someone would have some feedback. All I get to hear is stuff about crack, his "drunken stupors" (his words), and nothing about his actual performance in office. Thanks for getting back to me.
    11-14-13 04:20 PM
    He's a crack head that's what's up lol

Gangster mayor

SGN3--->5S----> z30. CB10
    11-14-13 04:29 PM
    Dude is the most capable drug addict I've seen. He's done a better Job of running one of North America's largest cities then many of his predecessors......color me impressed

CB10'n it via da Z
    11-14-13 04:29 PM
    He's one of the most strong human being I've seen in A while. With all the distractions and hate towards this one person, he is still able to stay on his feet and keep his head on his shoulder. I'm impressed.

Yes the public is being harsh on him but it looks like he's going to get his act together. If he repeats this mistake, which is a possibility, we won't forgive him again but until than he has proven himself (and to myself as well) that he will move forward and make Toronto into a better place.

We all make mistakes. I'm willing to look at what he has done for the city instead of all this distraction.
    11-14-13 04:46 PM
    He's on crack baby

He is our mayor and the very best at what he does .. smoking crack, consorting with the prostitutes and drinking it up!!!!!!!! Everything you always wanted in a mayor - NOT!.. I'm told it boost our tourism!

To me it doesn't matter how good a mayor he is... it's just worldwide embarrassing to us.. he really needs to go .. and that goes for anyone in the public eye who does crap like this openly.. at least his antics got on the Daily Show (love Jon Stewart!)
    fflavoie likes this.
    11-14-13 04:52 PM
    He gets plenty to eat at home...

Lol

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-14-13 04:56 PM
    Opinion is divided on his abilities as a legislator, usually along left/right political lines. I'm left-wing, but by no means dogmatic about it.

Personally, I think he has a poor ability to work with others, and is unable or unwilling to engage in rational, productive debate on issues, without resorting to shouting down his opponents.

He ran on a populist "get rid of the gravy at city hall" platform, but he pushed for an expensive subway instead of an LRT, both to gain votes and to pit different parts of the city against each other. It's crass populism at best.

The LRT as planned, was already funded by higher levels of government including potential cost overruns and future operating costs. The new Subway that he lobbied for will cost an additional billion dollars, plus the city is on the hook for any cost overruns and all of the operating costs. For a fiscal conservative, that was a very fiscally irresponsible decision.

The proposed LRT was on an exclusive right of way. When questioned in council, he would only say "the people don't want streetcars running down the middle of the street getting in the way of cars. The people want subways". Disingenuous at best.

See:

Basically, he tried to shut down debate in the in council and in media, by refusing to discuss the issues; instead he just shouted down his opponents. When one member of his executive (a fiscal consrvative) voted against the Subway, Mayor Ford engaged in a robocalling campaign in the member's neighbourhood. Dirty.

His communication strategy/style is basically the same for his drug/alcohol/crime scandals as it is for his normal political behaviour. He basically plays the victim, refuses to listen or debate honestly, and communicates in sound bytes and talking points.

When the news of his scandals first broke, he denied everything and called the media all sorts of names (e.g. "maggots"), and claimed that everyone was just out to get him.

Now that the facts are emerging, and they are harder to deny, he's grudgingly admitting that they are true, but he will only apologize in vague terms, saying he has made "mistakes" and "let's move on". He only specifically admits to something when he is forced to. He even blames the media now because they "didn't ask the right questions" back in May. Which is a lie. The media did ask the right questions; he just refused to answer them.

At this point he is basically harming himself with his continued stubborn refusal to admit he has a problem.

But until he steps down, he is a huge embarrassment to our city.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 04:57 PM

Lol

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, that's one of the things that's getting lots of air-time on American TV today.
    11-14-13 04:58 PM
    Yeah, that's one of the things that's getting lots of air-time on American TV today.
    Yeah, it's great... It's too bad people care about that. The only concern would be, having whatever powers afforded by the mayor's office of a big city, that his lack of judgement in his personal life will place him in situations which will cause him to make official favors under duress. Things like... I saw you smoking crack and being unfaithful, so unless you give my cousin's shady company this multi-million maintenance contract, I will expose you to the public and/or your family.

I mean... normal people can be dumb because they have no leverage to amplify the repercussions. Officials with power (esp an executive like Gov, Mayor, etc) on the other hand, need to be clean... not because of some moral BS., but simply by virtue of their power over public resources.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 05:09 PM
    But he has a bobble head lol. He's doing something right
    Derlitz likes this.
    11-14-13 05:14 PM
    He just likes to party

Posted via CB10
    Derlitz likes this.
    11-14-13 05:22 PM
    He is giving us the wrong exposure to the world but exposure is exposure at the end of the day. More people do research about Toronto, more they will fall in love with this city. One bad image is not going to ruin the image of the whole. Toronto has so much to offer. If this boosts our tourism rate, it will only help the city make more money. Cmon reporters, what are you waiting for? Come to Toronto and make more to shows about our lovely city!

Plus, how can I go against someone who uses our tax money into good use?
    Derlitz likes this.
    11-14-13 05:26 PM
    He just likes to party

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I gathered that much. lol
    11-14-13 05:26 PM
    LOL...he's the gift that keeps on giving.
    11-14-13 06:28 PM
    just an FYI for people that think ford has actually done a lot of the work for toronto....he has hardly been into city hall / attend meetings etc....it has been the heavy lifting of his executive committee which has got the job done. don't get me wrong he is the face of a lot of forward progression for toronto, but he is also the face of all this mess.

Personally I don't give a flying rats *** if he shows up to work or not, so long as **** gets done. I don't care if he does crack etc...i do care if he flaunts it and acts with no public regard for the population of toronto or Canada. Ie: drunken parade for the taste of the danforth.... sure be drunk and merry at a private party where you are not acting as the mayor. but going to a public function as large as taste on the danforth and getting drunk and being abnoxious is not the behaviour I would personally hold a mayor towards....

This and many other things.... oh well...be interesting to see how this pans out.

Problem is....he was caught...most likely because he was too comfortable... but that's just my 2 cents

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-14-13 06:35 PM
    Leave him alone if he is running the city well.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 06:38 PM
    Here is my objective opinion, in point form, on all this crap:

Rob Ford
    ========
    - He's fat
    - He's a rolly polly on the football field
    - He speaks his mind
    - He's a redneck hoser from Etobicoke
    - He loves his job, the city and it's people

The Media:
    ========
    - Bottom feeding scum
    - Think they have the power to ruin someone's life without substantiating all their accusations with hard, indicting evidence
    - Tabloid journalists
    - Only care about ratings and not about the city or it's people
    - They should go find Dalton McGinty and do a "Ford" on him, instead
    - Use all the profits they made from advertising on the Rob Ford footage and pay back the 1.2 Billion that McGinty lost us
    11-14-13 06:52 PM
    Opinion is divided on his abilities as a legislator, usually along left/right political lines. I'm left-wing, but by no means dogmatic about it.

Personally, I think he has a poor ability to work with others, and is unable or unwilling to engage in rational, productive debate on issues, without resorting to shouting down his opponents.

He ran on a populist "get rid of the gravy at city hall" platform, but he pushed for an expensive subway instead of an LRT, both to gain votes and to pit different parts of the city against each other. It's crass populism at best.

The LRT as planned, was already funded by higher levels of government including potential cost overruns and future operating costs. The new Subway that he lobbied for will cost an additional billion dollars, plus the city is on the hook for any cost overruns and all of the operating costs. For a fiscal conservative, that was a very fiscally irresponsible decision.

The proposed LRT was on an exclusive right of way. When questioned in council, he would only say "the people don't want streetcars running down the middle of the street getting in the way of cars. The people want subways". Disingenuous at best.

See:

Basically, he tried to shut down debate in the in council and in media, by refusing to discuss the issues; instead he just shouted down his opponents. When one member of his executive (a fiscal consrvative) voted against the Subway, Mayor Ford engaged in a robocalling campaign in the member's neighbourhood. Dirty.

His communication strategy/style is basically the same for his drug/alcohol/crime scandals as it is for his normal political behaviour. He basically plays the victim, refuses to listen or debate honestly, and communicates in sound bytes and talking points.

When the news of his scandals first broke, he denied everything and called the media all sorts of names (e.g. "maggots"), and claimed that everyone was just out to get him.

Now that the facts are emerging, and they are harder to deny, he's grudgingly admitting that they are true, but he will only apologize in vague terms, saying he has made "mistakes" and "let's move on". He only specifically admits to something when he is forced to. He even blames the media now because they "didn't ask the right questions" back in May. Which is a lie. The media did ask the right questions; he just refused to answer them.

At this point he is basically harming himself with his continued stubborn refusal to admit he has a problem.

But until he steps down, he is a huge embarrassment to our city.

Posted via CB10
    Very well said, but I have to say that I'm all for a larger Subway system in this city. LRTs have their uses. They are much faster to build and cheaper but they are most commonly placed in the middle lanes of roads and restricts vehicle traffic much more than buses do. Especially if the roads and sidewalks were not designed for the use of LRTs in the first place. The better option for the future of this city is subway systems. But I agree that some of Robs tactics were not always good and that the finances of the whole deal should have been better. The only thing is that the Provincial government didn't want to spend money on Subways when in reality it is future proofing their largest city. But it's always the tax payer that gets shafted in the end anyway.
    11-14-13 06:54 PM
    Hey guy's...I'm from Alberta, land of Ralph Klein. I was at a private function at the top of Calgary Tower for the 88 Olympics' and he literally had a guy on each arm holding him up he was so blasted, mind you most of us weren't in much better shape.(that's when he was Mayor of Calgary). Fast forward a decade and he's the most popular Premier in a long long time here...still drunk, going to homeless shelters and harassing the guy's there for not working while a boom is on, handing out one way bus tickets to BC, 20 dollar bills to call mom for a plane ticket etc etc....lol, still laugh at that one.
    Moral of story...real people with real life issues happen, makes no difference IF YOU GET SH!T DONE....
    11-14-13 06:55 PM
    Dude is the most capable drug addict I've seen. He's done a better Job of running one of North America's largest cities then many of his predecessors......color me impressed
    CB10'n it via da Z
    That's what performance enhancing drugs will do for you. I'll personally buy him crack if he keeps performing like that!
    11-14-13 06:56 PM

Lol

Posted via CB10
    Whatever he is eating obviously is not healthy for him.
    11-14-13 07:14 PM
    Wow.. I really didn't expect this to become such a political debate, not that I mind. Let's just keep it civil between all of us (say whatever you want about Mayor Ford, though).

Posted via CB10 from my seksi Z10 (STL100-3 | OS 10.2.1.1055)
    11-14-13 07:42 PM
    I think he's going to be arrested soon for something.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 07:46 PM
88 123 ...