04-05-13 05:12 PM
33 12
tools
    yeah,,, in my very limited experience, so far, these things are pretty impressive & i'm not easily impressed,,,
    for sure brother I loves me some tech I'm rocking a 60 inch sharp aquos tv and I've built up a nice home theater surround using a denon 1913 and a 5.1 aperion mix waiting to grab my rear surround once I make my next move to a new place. I've flashed my wdtv with a custom firmware and theme and played around with moviesheets and it looks pretty cool but when all is said and done I think nothing will compare with a full on HTPC the media player was just my gateway drug lol. I'm also debating if I should active bi-amp off my denon but can't seem to find any solid info saying it will make any kind of a difference everyone seems to downplay it. But a solid router makes all the difference I have no need to VPN but I've done it just to keep old skills from getting rusty if you want some links to get it running ill post but its a pretty basic process.

All and all the fun in geeking it out in a home setting theater/network/gaming is awesome you'll never run out of awesome things to do and you'll always be learning it's the coolest hobby there is!!
    03-23-13 12:26 AM
    funny you should bring up tv's,,, i just got this tonight--->>> Panasonic TC-P50ST50 - SMART VIERA 50 Class ST50 Series Full HD Plasma HDTV (49.9 Diag.) - Technical Specifications <<< i'm hooking it up tomorrow after i exchange my cable box for the hd/hdmi version,,, luckily they're open on Sat.,,, & when the neighbors ain't home i run it thru 4 cerwin vegas, (D7x2 / 12" tower w/woofer on the side / aiwa satellites x2),,, also installed Merlin on the AC66--->>> Asuswrt-Merlin - custom firmware for Asus routers - SmallNetBuilder Forums <<< it gives you a few more options in addition to firmups on the factory OS,,, so i'm pretty much in techno-geek heaven right now,,, my pc, playbook, tv & phone are all juiced up & ready to go,,, if you have any tweaks/settings or links i'd really appriciate it...
    inked18 likes this.
    03-23-13 03:15 AM
    Nice how does the screen look my buddy got the matching version of my tv but with 3D support and I notice it looks a lot darker but the 3D is pretty cool. I haven't had a chance to hear any of the newer style cerwins but I remember listening to some of the older 15" when I was younger and those things we're audio beasts!! Thanks I tabbed it maybe I'll flash that this week if I get some time just for the enhanced web interface.

I haven't modded out the router in anyway really besides the out of the box functions setting up a guest network, testing DMZ vs upnp for the 360 (I find DMZ works better but I might give upnp another shot) but thats about all ive played with so far youve sparked my interest in it though so ill probably be messing around with it tommorow lol
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-24-13 02:28 AM
    tv pic looks AWESOME,,, this thing has it all,,, i can stream movies via usb in router but it's better to just plug in a zip stick to the tv itself,,, it has 2 usb & 3 hdmi,,, played sector strike via hdmi from my playbook, man, that was cool,,, tv has pretty good sound,,, only thing is, is that audio out is only optical, so you have to buy cable for that & a converter & pigtail (1>2 for audio in) if your stereo amp has no optical input,,, there's stuff i didn't know it had when bought it like 3d, (which i don't use, picture is sooo good without that) apps, internet, etc.,,, it'll prob take me another few days to a week to figure this thing out...
    inked18 likes this.
    03-26-13 02:27 PM
    Right on thats awesome a buddy of mine is looking for a 42" for his bedroom I'm a solid fanboy on sharp right now but if the panasonic is as good as you say at a better price I might just have to point him in that direction I rocked a tube pana for years and years and never had a problem with it so I have nothing but good things to say about that company from personal experience definitely quality stuff.

No need for optical out here just makes things more complicated the only thing connected to my TV is the HDMI from the receiver and everything else runs into the receiver via HDMI then out to the TV, HDMI provides better sound overall.

Ya for sure my Sharp LC-60LE632U 60 inch TV Features, Reviews, Ratings had all the apps built in which is cool but now a days it seems everything I buy has it which gets kind of redundant (xbox, z10, reciever, tv, wdtvlive) but to many features are never a bad thing!! I've never really optomized a TV before for the best picture and being a novice in that category I've been debating on "obtaining" via the internet lol this Amazon.com: Wow: World of Wonder [Blu-ray]: Wow World of Wonder: Movies & TV

If you know of any better tuners for a n00b in this category like myself let me know as I'm currently just switching between standard and game settings out of the box for my viewing.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-26-13 10:35 PM
    Sorry I got busy!

@ Seawarrior
    Jumbo frames is very useful but every piece of kit needs to have it enabled on the wired side or it will never activate. The reason is that the packets that contain data will now send more data in a single packet which has the effect of being more efficient with data/protocol ratio...so for devices to stay in sync they all need to be able to understand it. Most network cards have a setting for this.

I'd also recommend keeping 5GHz for N-only devices. Mixed B/G/N environments really really suppress the full speed abilities of N - like Jumbo frames above all devices need to be roughly in sync with each other and B/G clients hamstring the N ones.

Keep all your low speed devices confined to the 2.4Ghz.

Watch wide mode on wireless for 2.4Ghz... depending on where you live, keeping this on Auto can have the effect of slower speeds than single channel mode. 5Ghz should be ok but because you're effectively grabbing two radio channels it's not nice on the neighbors unless you really do need to send a ton of data over wifi.

Unless you need VPN on the router I'd leave it at the device level...

There's deep chasm of time consuming tweaking out there...

~Steph
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-26-13 11:00 PM
    Sorry I got busy!

@ Seawarrior
    Jumbo frames is very useful but every piece of kit needs to have it enabled on the wired side or it will never activate. The reason is that the packets that contain data will now send more data in a single packet which has the effect of being more efficient with data/protocol ratio...so for devices to stay in sync they all need to be able to understand it. Most network cards have a setting for this.

I'd also recommend keeping 5GHz for N-only devices. Mixed B/G/N environments really really suppress the full speed abilities of N - like Jumbo frames above all devices need to be roughly in sync with each other and B/G clients hamstring the N ones.

Keep all your low speed devices confined to the 2.4Ghz.

Watch wide mode on wireless for 2.4Ghz... depending on where you live, keeping this on Auto can have the effect of slower speeds than single channel mode. 5Ghz should be ok but because you're effectively grabbing two radio channels it's not nice on the neighbors unless you really do need to send a ton of data over wifi.

Unless you need VPN on the router I'd leave it at the device level...

There's deep chasm of time consuming tweaking out there...

~Steph
    all my devices (4 incl pc, 9850, playbook, & 50st50 panasonic plasma) are "n" & a/b/g compatible,,, this router, as you prob know, is a true dual band, in that it transmitts on both & uses the least crowded,,, the only one i have completely dedicated to 5GHZ is the tv,,, i had to choose between one or the other in set up,,, i figure the others will use that more often than not since my neighborhood is a crowded apt complex...
    03-26-13 11:27 PM
    if anyone's interested in adding their playbook as a drive in your computer, here's how,,, works great & AAAWWWSOME for wifi file transfer,,, i threw away all my playbook usb connectors...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...22/index5.html
    04-05-13 05:12 PM
33 12