Kids these days... Seriously. I remember when I was 18-ish, I got my very first cell phone. It was a Motorola the size of a brick, was heavy enough that you could kill a horse with it, and it had an extremely cool antenna that you had to pull out. It also had a little flip thingy covering up the keypad. I was able to store a whopping 30 numbers on the phone, I think, and there was a limit to the maximum length of the name of each contact, like 12 characters.

This was back in school. I was one of the first to have a cellphone in my class, even in my school, and it was horribly expensive to call someone. It was also very expensive for someone else to call me, which is why nobody ever called me on that phone, lol.

And just now I read this post here on Crackberry:
    My 18 month old was playing on the wife's blackberry and got into the messenger.
    He sent someone a registered trademark symbol (the R in a circle). I have not been able to replicate this symbol. What would he have pressed to get that?
    In the year of 2010, an 18-month-old knows how to roll with a Blackberry. Big time. I'm half joking of course, but seriously: next thing you know, he will teach you how to beam yourself to Disneyplanet (the moon outlet) while strikingly rolling his eyes.

What was your first cellphone, and how old were you when you got it?
    03-20-10 12:12 AM
    Nokia 6265i @ 14 years old
    Pearl @ 15 years old
    HTC Touch @ 15 years old
    Curve 8310 @ 16 years old
    Motorola Razr VE20 @ 16 years old
    Bold 9700 @ 17 years old

and here i am today
    im ready for the posts about me being too young to have a blackberry
    btw i paid for every phone on that list
    03-20-10 12:47 AM
    Nokia 51xx series with the face plates. I was 14. Boy I miss playing snake!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-10 12:48 AM
    I don't remember what it was, but it was hard wired into my pickup (maybe Diamondtel???) and I was 21 at the time. And yes, it was VERY expensive to use it...lol!
    03-20-10 12:52 AM
    I was 16 and it was a Motorola StarTAC. Analog nothing fancy as TDMA or CDMA although they did exist it was way to expensive to buy a prepaid phone.

When I turned 17 I got another StarTAC but this time it was TDMA and since I've changed every single year until now that I want to keep my 9700 for 2 years.
    03-20-10 02:02 AM
    Some Samsung flip phone (whatever was free) I never saw the point of having one until I was 22 and started driving truck across country.
    03-20-10 02:24 AM
    Nokia 6265i @ 14 years old
    Pearl @ 15 years old
    HTC Touch @ 15 years old
    Motorola Razr VE20 @ 16 years old
    Bold 9700 @ 17 years old

and here i am today
    im ready for the posts about me being too young to have a blackberry
    btw i paid for every phone on that list
    17 with a BlackBerry?!? What is this world coming to?

J/K As far as I'm concerned you can buy/have/make whatever you want. Especially if you're paying for it
    03-20-10 02:27 AM
    I had a Cellular One-branded car phone in my car (Audiovox 832COII i believe the model name).

I remember when StarTACs came out... And I remember people getting pissed off when their phone insurance claims didn't cover the $1,200 price of said phone....
    03-20-10 02:40 AM
    My first was very much like the OP's first. It was a company issued Motorola "flip". I believe the flip portion was completely passive - really just a cover for the keys and served to redirect the sound waves to the mic. That part may even have been removable. It was all gray, iirc, except for the flimsy, black, pull-out antenna.

What I do remember is that as soon as you were issued one, you wanted to requisition a spare battery, because the stock battery was truly a brick. But the spares were half as thick and half as heavy and lasted twice as long. Oh, and there was no battery cover... You just swapped out the back half (2/3rds) of the phone.

I think this was back around 1995. So I would have been around 25. My mom was in real estate and had had a bag phone as much as 10 years earlier when I was still in high school.

I went through a string of company phones including a really ugly, "ruggedized" monster when we were into Nextel PTT. After that I had a number of cheapo, free with contract, bar phones including Nokias, Motorolas and Samsungs. I've been with T-Mobile since 2001, the rep was kind enough to inform me when I called last night.

When it comes to smartphones, the only brand I've ever owned has been Blackberry, starting with an 8320, I want to say 3+ years ago. I also had an 8520. Now I've got the 9700.

What really amazes me is right around the time I got that first cell phone, I bought a state-of-the-art, top-of-the-line desktop PC. It set me back over three grand. My 9700 has 10 times the processor speed, more than 10 times the RAM, and 50 times the storage (on a quarter-of-a-postage-stamp-sized micro SD card!) than that pricey desktop had.

I love technology!
    03-20-10 02:57 AM
    I think I was 19. I loved that phone. Dropped it like a million times, slammed it closed when people I was talking too would **** me off and the thing never ever gave me any kind of trouble.

03-20-10 03:20 AM
    A qualcolmm phone back in 2000. First year college 18 years old.

03-20-10 03:49 AM
    Nokia 51xx series with the face plates. I was 14. Boy I miss playing snake!

This was my first phone as well when I was 14. It is actually still sitting in a drawer at my parent's house.

03-20-10 04:31 AM
    My first cell phone was a siemens phone with ATT (cingular).

03-20-10 04:45 AM
    early 90s moto bag phone-I liked it but it was hard to get in my pocket
    03-20-10 06:37 AM
    My first phone was some kind of Motorola the size of a brick. It's similar to Gordon Gekko's phone in the movie Wall Street but mine had the "slim" battery.

03-20-10 08:18 AM
    This is what I had as my first phone - Motorolla MR1

It had a whopping 60 minute talk time and IIRC 11 hours standby. No texting either!

That was 1995 when I joined Orange UK on contract (no PAYG then). I've been with Orange ever since with the same number and just ammended my contract as and when better deals have become available etc.

I've since had Nokia phones, I went through the Sony Ericsson P800, P900, P910i and P990i before getting my first Blackberry, the 8300 and I've had the 9000 and now have the 9700.
    03-20-10 08:29 AM
    About 12 years ago at 19, I bought this beauty (photo not mine)

Boy did I think I was hard core! I wore that puppy on my belt like it was a holstered gun. Funny stuff.
    03-20-10 08:38 AM
    My first was one of the first TracPhones. It was some kind of Nokia. I was just trying to research it but I can't find it. I was 13. After that I went through a plethera of Motorolas, a BB Pearl FLip, and now have the 8520.
    03-20-10 08:39 AM
    Yeah, I had a Star Tac with like 60 minutes for "emergency needs".

I would guess mid-90's.
    03-20-10 09:49 AM
    . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    03-20-10 11:13 AM
    I remember my first cell phone. My husband (at the time, now my ex) bought it because I lived about an hour away from my family and was driving back and forth with our kids a lot. It was in a bag and had to be plugged into the cigarette charger. It was hideous. I LOVED it, though. He cautioned me, "Only use it of emergencies!" This was in 1995, in Cleveland. I can't remember the carrier, but I can see that bag phone as clearly as if it were in front of me. There was a cord from the bag to the receiver thing, so it lacked the mobility that today's phones have.

And now, to steer wayyy off topic...

So one day, driving from Cleveland to Pittsburgh, I got stuck in traffic in downtown Pittsburgh. I called my cousin (I was on my way to her house) and I talked to her the entire time I sat parked on the expressway, which was about two hours. Needless to say, a HUGE phone bill followed, and then a HUGE argument with my husband followed.

This story has reminded me that I'm glad I'm not married to him anymore!

I am glad that today I can talk and talk and talk without a huge phone bill, or a lecture from a man!
    03-20-10 12:46 PM
    BOLD 9700 was my first ever blackberry and as soon as I had it in my hands I was in love lool

oh and 17 years of age ! Youngin' ha!

03-20-10 04:35 PM
    About 12 years ago at 19, I bought this beauty (photo not mine)

Boy did I think I was hard core! I wore that puppy on my belt like it was a holstered gun. Funny stuff.
    Its crazy how far cell phones have come along in the past 10-15 years
    03-20-10 06:26 PM
    teehee, 14 some blockish nokia. super annoying :P
    03-21-10 12:37 AM

Samsung X450 on Verizon, still have the same number.
    03-21-10 12:46 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD