Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    What Vintage Tech do you still use and why?-47071621_10156447304046348_440144451742990336_o.jpg

I use the Atari Portfolio for storing credentials and a Laserdisc player and collection to watch films.

Atari Portfolio has no ability to be connected online so there is no question of anything ending up in the "cloud" and the adapters to get the data off the device are very rare to virtually non-existent today. With only 32kb of usable memory for storage it lends itself as the ideal device for storing credentials and maybe allow me to journal while on the go.

The now defunct LD format has something to appreciate that is lost today as qualities. A typical film is on two sides sometimes three from two discs so that avails the opportunity for the lost convenience of INTERMISSION, where folks can get drinks or do their water closet business without missing out on anything in the film.

The other soon to be lost art is to be able to watch a film from a clean palate; that means no forced ads or previews. Put the disc in, play and go straight to the feature presentation.

Other feature is a lot of players had the chapter numbers on the deck so pressing one button will get you straight to the chapter as specified in the cover and that brings us to another delicacy now lost in appreciation:

Laserdisc covers had much the same appreciation that keeps vinyl popularity going marketwise today. Unfortunately the manufacturing costs of Laserdisc is prohibitive where vinyl is next to pennies.

There are also some films and film endings that never made it to the DVD cut. Example of the latter is the speech given by actor Frank Sinatra at the end of the Manchurian Candidate is missing from any other media release, and is perhaps controversial in the suggestion of MK-ULTRA mind control experiments that only of recent people can accept to draw the parallels today, maybe why it had been omitted in more accessible formats.

My current collection list:
    https://www.lddb.com/collection.php?...ram&sort=title
    Last edited by Jason Page; 11-28-18 at 08:01 PM. Reason: grammar correction
    11-28-18 07:54 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47071621_10156447304046348_440144451742990336_o.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	441534

I use the Atari Portfolio for storing credentials and a Laserdisc player and collection to watch films.

Atari Portfolio has no ability to be connected online so there is no question of anything ending up in the "cloud" and the adapters to get the data off the device are very rare to virtually non-existent today. With only 32kb of usable memory for storage it lends itself as the ideal device for storing credentials and maybe allow me to journal while on the go.

The now defunct LD format has something to appreciate that is lost today as qualities. A typical film is on two sides sometimes three from two discs so that avails the opportunity for the lost convenience of INTERMISSION, where folks can get drinks or do their water closet business without missing out on anything in the film.

The other soon to be lost art is to be able to watch a film from a clean palate; that means no forced ads or previews. Put the disc in, play and go straight to the feature presentation.

Other feature is a lot of players had the chapter numbers on the deck so pressing one button will get you straight to the chapter as specified in the cover and that brings us to another delicacy now lost in appreciation:

Laserdisc covers had much the same appreciation that keeps vinyl popularity going marketwise today. Unfortunately the manufacturing costs of Laserdisc is prohibitive where vinyl is next to pennies.

There are also some films and film endings that never made it to the DVD cut. Example of the latter is the speech given by actor Frank Sinatra at the end of the Manchurian Candidate is missing from any other media release, and is perhaps controversial in the suggestion of MK-ULTRA mind control experiments that only of recent people can accept to draw the parallels today, maybe why it had been omitted in more accessible formats.

You are crazy man, shortwave radio is where it's at way back then. Listen to both every night.
    Attached Thumbnails What Vintage Tech do you still use and why?-img_20181128_204905.jpg  
    11-28-18 08:52 PM
    I see that room and already have a lot of that on my mind lately.
    Last edited by Jason Page; 11-28-18 at 10:32 PM. Reason: censor
    11-28-18 09:38 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47071621_10156447304046348_440144451742990336_o.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	441534

Great list of movies!
    11-28-18 09:39 PM
    You are crazy man, shortwave radio is where it's at way back then. Listen to both every night.
    We may fit in that same "mini-van" lol

How's your reception?
    Last edited by Jason Page; 11-28-18 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Censor
    11-28-18 09:45 PM
    My stress reliever... Yamaha DD-5 Digital Drums.
    Attached Thumbnails What Vintage Tech do you still use and why?-dsc_0096.jpg  
    11-28-18 10:07 PM
    My stress reliever... Yamaha DD-5 Digital Drums.
    I had that same model about 10 years ago. Unfortunately unless hooked up to an amp, as you may experience as well, the kenetic sound of the stick hitting the pad is louder than the electronic noise it produces in response.

When performing live with it I'd use the stick along the speaker "grill" to create extra sound, kinda like the wash board re-fitting for percussive music element.
    11-28-18 10:22 PM
    I had that same model about 10 years ago. Unfortunately unless hooked up to an amp, as you may experience as well, the kenetic sound of the stick hitting the pad is louder than the electronic noise it produces in response.

When performing live with it I'd use the stick along the speaker "grill" to create extra sound, kinda like the wash board re-fitting for percussive music element.
    True. I rarely use the built-in speaker. It's hooked up to either an amp or headphones.
    My significant other won't allow me to have a proper drum set at home. I wonder why. 😀
    11-28-18 10:34 PM
    Great list of movies!
    Thanks, I have some more recent, just haven't made time to enter them in yet. A library was almost giving them away and ended up selecting another 60 or so, over doubling my collection.

This is the 4th iteration of my LD collection. Last collection I had the prized gold disc "Fantastic Planet" in like new condition, was new when I got it (unopened) and I'm a Connoisseur, not a collector so I opened it and watched it a few times. Collection #3 was destroyed by a friend back in 2016, that story I wrote in a book here:

https://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Storie...UvbUpU13314847
    11-28-18 10:38 PM
    Does this count? Chainsaw and wood stove.

The chainsaw is actually sorta high tech - modern alloys and plastic construction mean a relatively light instrument compared to the originals, but the concept is pretty old school.

The stove, on the other hand is pretty much unchanged since the 1800s ...
    11-29-18 10:35 AM
    Two shortwave radios, JVC and Conion, both late eighties.
    A Lloyd's analog two-speaker clock radio, and another phosphor display eighties semi-digital (analog tuner) clock radio. One boombox from the early 90's. I have a Compaq armada laptop for old school gaming (no CD drive sadly), two Yamaha PSS keyboard's (one modified to use two 18650's), a three casio keyboard's and this junky kids one I rescued.

I lost a few Nokia phones a while ago (alarm clocks, they were OLD!), I suspect my brother dumped them at a pawn shop for cash. I still miss the bastards.

I still got my NES, superjoy iii (eg. Portable famicom), gamegear (gotta find it) master system and gameboy advance (works flawlessly). Just gotta get more carts for both, and maybe convert the gamegear to li-ion use instead.

I haven't yet got the chance to set up all of my damn game consoles to be used with the CRT cube television in the bedroom. I'll get to it soon I hope. Then, it'll go along with the wii (that suffered three falls off the TV thanks to my cat) and playstation 3 (both found curb-side).

Vintage technology is just awesome. I think I also have a typewriter in the closet. Same for a fully functioning Epson LQ-570 P2 printer (USB to Parallel adaptor saved the day) which has in the past, shredded numerous sheets of paper, and I couldn't figure out why either.

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    12-04-18 11:37 PM