I'm basing this off of the other thread about the conficker virus...

what exactly is the purpose behind viruses? besides hurting your computers performance and stealing information? is that really the only reason for it?

or spyware for that matter....wtf...

pointless **** to me i guess...never really understood why people purposely jack up others peoples stuff for no reason at all....weirdos out there I must say
    03-31-09 02:07 PM
    because people are jackoffs!
    (thats just my opinion &most people seem to hate my opinion around here)
    03-31-09 02:11 PM
    because people are jackoffs!
    (thats just my opinion &most people seem to hate my opinion around here)
    I don't hate your opinions, , it's a sign of intelligence to have opinions that differ from your friends. Of course, another sign of intelligence is the ability to express yourself without obscenities, - but in this case I agree with your choice of words. These "hackers" who create these viruses end up hurting a lot of people who don't deserve it. They have an elevated sense of their intelligence, but most computer professionals laugh at them and their clumsy attempts - they're only moderately successful because people don't protect themselves.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 08:14 PM
    Years back, hacking was done for fun, to screw stuff up, pranks. Now, it's done for financial gain, there is lots of money in this now...
    03-31-09 08:19 PM
    Years back, hacking was done for fun, to screw stuff up, pranks. Now, it's done for financial gain, there is lots of money in this now...
    LMAO at the thought of a room full of Macaffee and other anti-virus company programmers churning out viruses so people will buy their products. String them up I say, ha ha.

03-31-09 08:29 PM
    I hear ya on that man, hahaha...
    03-31-09 08:38 PM
    ... what exactly is the purpose behind viruses?
    Cyber-terrorism & Cyber-vandalism ... And it's getting more and more dangerous.

03-31-09 08:58 PM
    Viruses and Windows platform goes hand in hand.
    03-31-09 09:09 PM
    Cyber-terrorism & Cyber-vandalism ... And it's getting more and more dangerous.

Lots of scary stories about communist China and their hackers stealing all kinds of secrets from governments and business. Even going so far as to use infected computers to eavesdrop and take pictures of their targets. Very dangerous people indeed.

03-31-09 09:46 PM
    Lots of companies put spyware on your computer to track websites you've gone to and see what purchases you've made. Its useful information in that right, but not at the expense of your privacy.

Hope this helps

04-02-09 09:52 PM
    Where the h3ll have you been Mr. Dugan? Not saying I missed your sparkling wit or anything like that,
    Hope that helped!

04-03-09 12:04 AM
    LMAO at the thought of a room full of Macaffee and other anti-virus company programmers churning out viruses so people will buy their products. String them up I say, ha ha.

You are of course forgetting the other side of this. Ethical Hackers and those working in Info Sec. As it stands, the Infosec industry is corrupt but logical. If you are caught doing malicious things, in most cases you are given the option to do time or you get offered work. The simple matter of the fact is that they would rather you were working with them than against them. Both sets of people learn the same skills and execute them for different purposes. McAfee were blasted a while back for hiring quite a few blackhats although there was't too much media coverage from what I can remember.

Viruses are simply to harvest information and other personal details. A lot can be made out of identity theft and so on. Then again, the more money involved for personal gain, the higher the risk of being caught. Not too much else to it really...

Just my $0.02
    04-03-09 06:27 AM
    ... Viruses are simply to harvest information and other personal details. A lot can be made out of identity theft and so on. Then again, the more money involved for personal gain, the higher the risk of being caught. Not too much else to it really...
    Except that it's Cyber-terrorism & Cyber-vandalism.

I personally am not prepared to be quite as dismissive. And perhaps I misinterpreted your comment ... so, forgive me in advance.
    04-03-09 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD