I kinda thought it was to put things in space and make sure they come back safely...

NASA Chief: Next Frontier Better Relations With Muslim World

Shown here is NASA Administrator Charles Bolden. (YouTube)

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said in a recent interview that his "foremost" mission as the head of America's space exploration agency is to improve relations with the Muslim world.
    Though international diplomacy would seem well outside NASA's orbit, Bolden said in an interview with Al Jazeera that strengthening those ties was among the top tasks President Obama assigned him. He said better interaction with the Muslim world would ultimately advance space travel.
    "When I became the NASA administrator -- or before I became the NASA administrator -- he charged me with three things. One was he wanted me to help re-inspire to want to get into science and math, he wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering," Bolden said in the interview.
    07-06-10 10:11 AM
    Thats straight up ********.
    07-06-10 10:41 AM
    Ummmm....... ok........ (confused)... that was the last thing I expected to read lol..
    07-06-10 10:58 AM
    Maybe I am missing something...

Do Muslims have cutting edge space ship technology?
    07-06-10 11:41 AM
    I'm sure my research must be grossly flawed, for I find little or nothing to support any contributions.

Since our president has canceled any further funding of the space shuttle and killed the Constellation shuttle replacement program, we will have no capabilities beyond low earth orbit. Anything else will depend upon primarily Russian rocket technology.

Would you fly into space in a Yugo? Even if it had a full tank of gas?
    07-06-10 12:06 PM
    Or maybe Obama believes Muslims have a low flying satellite nuclear missile base station to maybe mooch off from?

Or is that the Cubans?
    07-06-10 12:08 PM
    muslims have dylithum crystals
    07-06-10 12:11 PM
    And they've been stocking up on Kryptonite.

My friend's brother at the local verizon kiosk told me.
    07-06-10 12:15 PM
    i could go for a big bowl of allah flakes
    07-06-10 12:18 PM
    They have the technology to run space ships on donuts and turban sweat.
    07-06-10 12:18 PM
    I'm sure my research must be grossly flawed, for I find little or nothing to support any contributions.
    Historically speaking some of our greatest early mathematical achievements came from the Arab world. Without them we would not be where we are today. We pretty much owe them our entire modern way of thinking in that respect.
    07-06-10 12:52 PM
    Yes, the trajectory of rock throwing has now evolved to missile launching.

Wise ones indeed.
    07-06-10 12:55 PM
    radius obviously hates freedom
    07-06-10 12:57 PM
    Historically speaking some of our greatest early mathematical achievements came from the Arab world. Without them we would not be where we are today. We pretty much owe them our entire modern way of thinking in that respect.

I guess I was speaking more specifically about space technology, not the underlying components. Maybe we can praise the first caveman who accidentally exploded some mammoth oysters in his first hoedown, thus paving the way to modern jet propulsion.
    07-06-10 01:05 PM
    They gave us zero.
    07-06-10 01:34 PM
    I guess I was speaking more specifically about space technology, not the underlying components. Maybe we can praise the first caveman who accidentally exploded some mammoth oysters in his first hoedown, thus paving the way to modern jet propulsion.
    I see, so the whole fact that space travel and exploration is based on the most basic concepts of mathematics is meaningless because we already know it?

As stated, they gave us 0. They gave us the ability so solve algebra. Made huge leaps in fractions. Numerous branches of geometry. Finding square roots. The list goes on.

Which brings me to a much more interesting point, right now we're coming down on Muslims as the root of all evil and calling them cavemen. One way to ingratiate yourself with a culture is to point out how your entire way of life is based on their contributions.

Anyone who's ever learned algebra is doing so as a direct result of their contributions, not as some side benefit of a drunken barn dance.
    07-06-10 02:41 PM
    I see, so the whole fact that space travel and exploration is based on the most basic concepts of mathematics is meaningless because we already know it?

As stated, they gave us 0. They gave us the ability so solve algebra. Made huge leaps in fractions. Numerous branches of geometry. Finding square roots. The list goes on.
    Which brings me to a much more interesting point, right now we're coming down on Muslims as the root of all evil and calling them cavemen. One way to ingratiate yourself with a culture is to point out how your entire way of life is based on their contributions.

Anyone who's ever learned algebra is doing so as a direct result of their contributions, not as some side benefit of a drunken barn dance.

they are also pioneers in domestic violence, and I *think* I read once they invented the BLT
    07-06-10 03:28 PM
    You mean the VLT.

They can't eat poooooork.
    07-06-10 03:30 PM
    With the exception of Radius, you people don't know your history. Sorry.

While Europe was being scientifically stunted and held back by 'The Church' for a thousand years, the only source of scientific advancement came from the Muslim world.

I find it ironic that their culture is now more prone to become mired in religious dogma, as we once were.
    07-06-10 04:34 PM
    I can acknowledge their history and contributions.

But just because they came up with fractions, or algebra does not mean they have anything to contribute now.

Their culture has changed. They went from priding themselves with scientific and occult logic, to religious ignorance.

I am not saying they have nothing of worth in modern times, so don't take it that way.

But really, what can they have now that we could use?

Religion? Fashion? Suicide Bombers? A rock that fell from space that's to be worshiped?

My point is, just because someone or something was useful at a time, doesn't mean they still are.

How many companies have invented great things in the past, only to fade into obscurity because of other factors...

We can't take away their contributions, but to say they hold a great key to our progress because of something they did a long time ago is silly.

Humans are Humans.

Whats available to them over there, is available to us over here.

I find it ironic that their culture is now more prone to become mired in religious dogma, as we once were.
    +1
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 07-06-10 at 05:42 PM.
    07-06-10 04:56 PM
    After taking a closer look at that picture of Charles Bolden, I would not be surprised by anything that comes out of his mouth. Nor would I take it seriously.
    Look at that face. If he was talking to people who claim to have been abducted by aliens, I bet he'd jump in and say "Me too! I've been probed!"
    07-06-10 05:21 PM
    I am not sure who associated muslims with cavemen. I know I didn't. If someone here is a muslim or a supporter, I meant no offense. My original post was not about muslims, nor their contributions or levels of contributions to the space exploration program we call NASA. My post was to simply point out the blatant ignorance, idiocy and absurd thinking of this administration when they think the "first and foremost" goal of the once great NASA is now to make muslim countries feel good about their contributions to science and exploration. I'm gonna go get a handful of bottle rockets and shoot em off in memory of what NASA used to be.
    07-07-10 06:09 AM
    zero is a theory. THERE IS NO TRUTH IN IT. THERE IS ONLY TRUTH IN ALLAH!

ALALALALALLALAALLALALAAALALALALALLA! DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!
    07-07-10 06:52 AM
    I am not sure who associated muslims with cavemen. I know I didn't. If someone here is a muslim or a supporter, I meant no offense. My original post was not about muslims, nor their contributions or levels of contributions to the space exploration program we call NASA. My post was to simply point out the blatant ignorance, idiocy and absurd thinking of this administration when they think the "first and foremost" goal of the once great NASA is now to make muslim countries feel good about their contributions to science and exploration. I'm gonna go get a handful of bottle rockets and shoot em off in memory of what NASA used to be.
    :::: contributes a roll of Mentos, and 6 2ltr bottles of Coke ::::
    07-07-10 07:38 AM
    zero is a theory. THERE IS NO TRUTH IN IT. THERE IS ONLY TRUTH IN ALLAH!

ALALALALALLALAALLALALAAALALALALALLA! DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!

SILENCE!!! I keeeel you!
    07-07-10 08:35 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD