Outside of work football is my life (soccer)

Ive not missed a home game for 13 years, for the mighty Glasgow Celtic Football Club!!

Heading for 4 league titles in a row at the moment.

Who do you guys support?
    12-13-08 03:19 PM
    Gooner here Jinks. Not a very happy one after being the better side and only coming away from the Riverside with a draw today though! Still....better than we've done against much worse sides so far this terrible season!

One a piece for you too today eh?
    12-13-08 03:50 PM
    Gooner here Jinks. Not a very happy one after being the better side and only coming away from the Riverside with a draw today though! Still....better than we've done against much worse sides so far this terrible season!

One a piece for you too today eh?
    Yeah we drew today but so did the darkside so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Arsenal are my english team!!

I have family in Kent who are die hard arsenal fans. My cousins are die hard gooners. Me and my cousin used to argue about who was better Larsson or Bergkamp. I have a lot of respect for what Arsene Wenger is doing with Arsenal with regards to buying young and developng them as opposed to what chelscum are doing.

Hartson was a legend for us, Ian Wright only played a few games but im glad he played for Celtic.

Used to love watching Tony Adams, Wright, Overmars, Berkamp, Boa Morte (Believe it or not) Keown etc etc......

I hope Celtic Get Vela on loan for 6 months too

EDITED: due to my poor use of spelling and grammer
    Last edited by Jinky67; 12-13-08 at 04:11 PM.
    12-13-08 04:01 PM
    Yeah man.....Wenger is a genius, no doubt.
    I'm far from being one of the few pathetic "fans" calling for his head after our relatively poor form so far this year, and I am so completely proud of the way he runs our club as a PROFITABLE, sustainable business rather than at a huge loss like the rest of the 'big four', while all the time competing at the highest level at home and in Europe.
    Having said all that though....I really do think that all the high-profile exits over the last year or so (Gilberto, Flamini, Hleb, Thierry...even Senderos to an extent) have left us pretty short for the moment. He needs to get the chequbook out in January, preferably a centre back, definitely a holding midfielder, and a keeper too in my opinion. If he does though, I'm sure it'll be relative unheard-of's who turn out to be quality....it's the Wenger way!

PS - BERGKAMP!!! ;-)
    12-13-08 04:13 PM
    Yeah man.....Wenger is a genius, no doubt.
    I'm far from being one of the few pathetic "fans" calling for his head after our relatively poor form so far this year, and I am so completely proud of the way he runs our club as a PROFITABLE, sustainable business rather than at a huge loss like the rest of the 'big four', while all the time competing at the highest level at home and in Europe.
    Having said all that though....I really do think that all the high-profile exits over the last year or so (Gilberto, Flamini, Hleb, Thierry...even Senderos to an extent) have left us pretty short for the moment. He needs to get the chequbook out in January, preferably a centre back, definitely a holding midfielder, and a keeper too in my opinion. If he does though, I'm sure it'll be relative unheard-of's who turn out to be quality....it's the Wenger way!

PS - BERGKAMP!!! ;-)
    I only spelt Bergkamp wrong the second time!

I agree though, he is doing it the right way. Especially in the current financial climate.

Celtic really need to get the cheaque book out too, we are in a different planet to you guys in terms of financial capability, but we have received 15million for our European exploits this season, i'd like to hope that we spend it on a decent left back and a new striker.

Its my dream that we get into the premiership one day so that we can achieve the potential we deserve considering we are one of the best supported clubs in the world. But sadly i can see us scraping the bargain basement for years to come.

I dont think you guys would want us in the EPL anyway??
    12-13-08 04:20 PM
    Ha....nah...I didn't notice a spelling mistake buddy, I was getting involved in your little argument you have with your cousin! Larsson is a veritable demi-god too though....he was the difference for Barca in the Champs Lg final when he came off the bench a couple of years ago. *Still really badly hurts*

As a fan I'd welcome seeing you guys and Ra*gers(swear word in your house I bet?) in the Premiership, but I do think it'd be a struggle for you initially. The quality of the league really is pretty scary, and getting better year-on-year too. If you could stay up in your first season and spend the money well I could see mid-table in a couple of years.

The bad thing, and the reason why I no longer think it can happen for you, is that you'd be losing your Champions League place for winning the league up there!
    12-13-08 04:30 PM
    Ha....nah...I didn't notice a spelling mistake buddy, I was getting involved in your little argument you have with your cousin! Larsson is a veritable demi-god too though....he was the difference for Barca in the Champs Lg final when he came off the bench a couple of years ago. *Still really badly hurts*

As a fan I'd welcome seeing you guys and Ra*gers(swear word in your house I bet?) in the Premiership, but I do think it'd be a struggle for you initially. The quality of the league really is pretty scary, and getting better year-on-year too. If you could stay up in your first season and spend the money well I could see mid-table in a couple of years.

The bad thing, and the reason why I no longer think it can happen for you, is that you'd be losing your Champions League place for winning the league up there!
    I forgot it was Barca you played that year, infact i remember a quote from Thierry Henry, he said something at the end of the game along the lines of "Everyone said Larsson was only good in the Scottish league, he could only score in Scotland, but he was the turning point tonight"

Well mate.....thats where id disagree.

Ra*gers (yes its a swear word in my house) would maybe be a middle table team, but i reckon it would only take a season or two before Celtic were challenging for the league title.

You might think that sounds mad, but if we had the money you guys had, and played in the same high quality league, then i think that the best players in the world would be drawn to Celtic park due to our world-wide support, our fantastic history, our fantastic fans and our great traditions.

At the moment in terms of support world-wide id say it goes as follows:

1st : Man Utd
    2nd : Barcelona
    3rd: Celtic

What do you think?

At the end of the day. SKY decide what happens, and SKY have already said they dont want us!!
    12-13-08 04:43 PM
    Yeah...you're right up there in terms of support alright, given the religious nature of your club's history....but at the moment I don't see you guys as any better than equivalent to lower mid-table here. The gulf in quality was evident yet again this year against Manchester United States, and that's just over a couple of games....we're talking an entire season here, in a league where literally anybody can beat anybody else, unlike up there....you have maybe six weekends when you'll be truly tested, and can nigh-on guarantee points the rest of the time!

I'm not being disrespectful dude, it's just the way it is.

You're right about Sky too.....but that's the way of the world at the moment...money talks eh?!
    12-13-08 04:56 PM
    Yeah...you're right up there in terms of support alright, given the religious nature of your club's history....but at the moment I don't see you guys as any better than equivalent to lower mid-table here. The gulf in quality was evident yet again this year against Manchester United States, and that's just over a couple of games....we're talking an entire season here, in a league where literally anybody can beat anybody else, unlike up there....you have maybe six weekends when you'll be truly tested, and can nigh-on guarantee points the rest of the time!

I'm not being disrespectful dude, it's just the way it is.

You're right about Sky too.....but that's the way of the world at the moment...money talks eh?!
    Yeah mate i agree.

AT the moment we could not compete with championships teams never mind the Hull's or Blackburns of this world.

But if we were in the premiership, things would change fairly rapidly.

Put it this way, if you were a football player, who would you rather play for? Spurs, Newcastle, Man City, Liverpool or Celtic providing all four teams were in the premiership and could offer the same salary??

It would be Celtic Everytime.

Im holding a completely biased opinion mind you, after all the definition of a fan is a "fanatical"

I love my club and will defend it to the hilt.
    12-13-08 05:06 PM
    I'd struggle if you didn't buddy! Too many fickle 'fans' out there eh?! I'd support Arsenal if we were in League Two....and I'd still be standing on a frozen terrace if we hadn't been transported to padded seats at the wonderful Emirates!

I'm off to bed....will whack you on buddy list & catch you again mate.
    Peace
    12-13-08 05:18 PM
    I'd struggle if you didn't buddy! Too many fickle 'fans' out there eh?! I'd support Arsenal if we were in League Two....and I'd still be standing on a frozen terrace if we hadn't been transported to padded seats at the wonderful Emirates!

I'm off to bed....will whack you on buddy list & catch you again mate.
    Peace
    Good talking to you mate.

Im not on here much but when i am ill give you a shout.

Im off to bed too, i know what you mean about "still be standing on the frozen terrace" - the word fan gets banded about too often. If i could go back to the good ole days of standing in "the jungle" singing songs and pissing in a beer can i would

Although it was a repribate like Keane who said about the "prawn sandwich brigade" he was 100% right.

Its good to talk to an old skool supporter from the south.

Good night and god bless!
    12-13-08 05:26 PM
    Man, I did stumble into another world, . The thing about the English Football league I have trouble understanding is that a team can lose it's place in the Premier League. It is my understanding that if a team loses and is near the bottom of the standings, it loses it's place and must win it's way back. How does that work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 11:19 AM
    Man, I did stumble into another world, . The thing about the English Football league I have trouble understanding is that a team can lose it's place in the Premier League. It is my understanding that if a team loses and is near the bottom of the standings, it loses it's place and must win it's way back. How does that work?

Yeah, sort of. The league consists of 20 teams for the entire season, and when's all said and done in May of each year the three teams at the bottom of the league on points (or goal difference if equal) will be relegated to the lower devision. From the Premiership they go to the Championship, from the Championship three go down to League one...and so on.

To regain a place in the top flight, a team must either win or finish second in the Championship the following season for automatic promotion, or win a play-off semi-final and then final which is played between those finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th below them for the final place.

The four teams at the top of the Premiership...who cannot go 'upward' obviously as they're at the pinnacle....all qualify for the following season's European Champions' League, to compete against other top teams from other Premier leagues accross the continent. Leagues deemed to be less abundant in quality/strength are awarded less qualification places.....so whilst the strongest leagues like England and Spain get four..the likes of Romania and Holland only get two!
    12-14-08 01:38 PM
    It seems to be a tough path to get back to the top; that it would be nearly impossible for a lower division team to have a magical season and win it all. True?

12-14-08 02:15 PM
    Heh I never gave a **** about footie but when the kids at school used to ask I'd just say arsenal

12-14-08 04:33 PM
    i'm brasilian... so i'm down with brasil team. from the brasilian league i like Sao Paulo, and from the english team i like New Castle.
    12-15-08 01:24 PM
    i'm brasilian... so i'm down with brasil team. from the brasilian league i like Sao Paulo, and from the english team i like New Castle.
    I'm an Arsenal fan here. I miss having Gilberto Silva in our squad since we sold him. Hopefully young Denilson will grow into an excellent player too, but he's struggling at the moment. I understand he's captained the Brasil side from under-16s all the way up, so he's obviously very highly regarded at home, right?
    12-15-08 03:13 PM
    Here in the U.S., a while back I used to wake up late on Sundays (after a night of heavy partying and beer drinking), and while flipping channels I ran across an italian soccer league game, on the Italian channel. I was hooked. Watched two seasons completely to the point where I could actually understand the commentary (for example, some guy out on surgery, and how many games left in the season, etc). wierd.
    Any hoot, I kept following the Lazio, Fiorentina and Roma games.
    I moved so I don't get those games on cable down here.
    12-15-08 06:00 PM
    I'm an Arsenal fan here. I miss having Gilberto Silva in our squad since we sold him. Hopefully young Denilson will grow into an excellent player too, but he's struggling at the moment. I understand he's captained the Brasil side from under-16s all the way up, so he's obviously very highly regarded at home, right?

Cheers. Yes, he is very highly regarded. haha. i remember when he first started playing, they were afraid to start him because they didn't want anything bad to happen. lol
    12-16-08 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD