This information is now on google. Trying to avoid a product/service the size that Google or Apple offers is impossible. You WILL run into it, and you will have to deal with it. RIM cant be isolationist in this. They have already taken the first steps and brought Android player onto the Playbool. They also need to continue making partnerships and bringing essential products into their fold. For instance (and this will be in the OP shortly).

7. RIM needs to bring Microsoft Office to the Playbook (and future BB10 devices). Docs to go was a nice stop gap, but its garbage overall. They also need Adobe to bring the FULL reader to the Playbook (and BB10 devices) as well as Adobe Pro. Continue these high level partnerships and give your customers the best experience out there
    This IS the disturbing part. We have sat by idly as our privacy has been stripped from us. Free society can only exist with freedom of ideas and freedom to express them. I guess at 62 y.o. I'm not content with being treated like a "suspect" or have random explorations into my life, likes and dislikes by big corporations. So many people seem to accept this as inevitable without looking at the potential long term consequences of it.
    Here is exactly where RIM shines and if I were concerned about corporate or government information being leaked and not just my personal information I would be even more vehement about protecting it.
    Tony Renier
    Green Bay, WI, USA
    03-08-12 02:01 PM
    @Sith, thanks for starting this thread. Being the transitioning software prior to BB10, I agree. BB7 has been a hard sell and we know the story behind the lack of themes and apps. So like others, I'm appreciative to those that stepped up by either making themes or updating their apps for us. The problem now is how many of those currently on OS 4 thru 6, and now 7 are going to actually upgrade to BB10 later this year(?) or actually plan on getting an updated Playbook as opposed to being enticed to something else? Time will have the ultimate answer. If OS 7 was meant to be a bandaid on a bullet wound(due to the constant negative reviews and the impending release of BB10 devices), it seems too little, too late to fight off the backlash against RIM. Hopefully RIM will review and brainstorm on the current ideas posted in this thread and above all, don't rule out anything that can help change the current situation.
    That's my big issue now. I've had an upgrade available since May 2011. I skipped the OS7 devices, since I believed that BB10 would indeed be "coming soon" when RIM stated that.

Now, my device running OS6 is showing its age, and I don't know if I can tolerate it until BB10 devices are released; and I don't want to use an upgrade on an OS7 devices, given the app limitations and the fact that I cannot pay full retail for a BB10 device if I use my upgrade. As a result, I'm looking at other options. If RIM offered a discount toward a BB10 device if I used my upgrade for an OS7 device now, I'd definitely consider it. However, given the way the pricing stands now, I will probably look elsewhere.
    03-09-12 12:22 AM
    That's my big issue now. I've had an upgrade available since May 2011. I skipped the OS7 devices, since I believed that BB10 would indeed be "coming soon" when RIM stated that.

Now, my device running OS6 is showing its age, and I don't know if I can tolerate it until BB10 devices are released; and I don't want to use an upgrade on an OS7 devices, given the app limitations and the fact that I cannot pay full retail for a BB10 device if I use my upgrade. As a result, I'm looking at other options. If RIM offered a discount toward a BB10 device if I used my upgrade for an OS7 device now, I'd definitely consider it. However, given the way the pricing stands now, I will probably look elsewhere.
    You're not alone. I'm thinking about holding off on the initial BB10. Just to see if all the issues have been worked out. Plus, the 9810 is my last official "refresh" BlackBerry device and I believe I could hold out with my T2 if needed. With laptops and a future LTE BlackBerry(hopefully next year), I won't need to upgrade to another PlayBook. Besides, the agency I work for is switching out all of our BlackBerry devices with iPhones in the near future. My 9810 was $49.00 whereas I paid off-contract price for my wifes' 9810. So, I'm in no hurry to upgrade. Also, I want to wait to see what the app section will be for the new devices as well.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 03-09-12 at 12:59 AM.
    03-09-12 12:56 AM
    Wow..

RIM is facing a much much bigger challenge than everyone here are thinking. 5 years ago, what everyone needed was staying connected with each other and RIM as company has their core values to connect and protect. That's why they were so successful by providing ppl best communication tools (the lovely Blackberry) and their Blackberry services for enterprise customers.
    But than BOOM. Suddenly staying connected with each other isn't enough anymore. Ppl had the urge to share everything in their lives. Services like youtube and facebook started to grow with explosive speed.

- Apple: apple as hardware maker had their strong core foundation and image through the MAC, the iPod and it's content providing service iTunes. When the iPhone came out, it's sure not much technical innovative but they gave the ppl a package to access and see the media contents in a whole new way.

- Google: they have their foundation the Google search and an image as a big big service provider. They also realized the trend early and expanded their GMail service, bought youtube and still pushing a lot of services that allow to make the whole internet experience faster and more personal.

- Microsoft: a big fat software maker that has OS Windows and everything that come with it as foundation. From everything they brought out in the last few years, I think their early push of Cloud computing service is one of their smartest move. Sure their Windows Phone OS joined the game kinda late, but the big problem is to change their not so cool, mainstream, complicated Windows image in the eyes of the ppl. WP7 is awesome in many ways but many consumers don't even bother to try it.

and RIM: suddenly staying connected is a just an obvious feature for everyone...
    Because everything you want from RIM are new cool shiny phones, better specs, more apps those can do everything......and that NOW!! For that RIM has to change the whole freakin company image, build up contents services (apps, music, movies, books,...) and compete directly with apple and google from ground up without doing any real innovations. I don't think that will work with 3 years time and billions of $ for PR.

What RIM doing now is right. Suck it up, new CEO, build a new OS from ground up, try to make everything smarter, smarter connections between devices. (You can see from all the demos until now, NFC, QNX, BB & PB connections, msg handling in PB). Because what we need in the next few years will be smarter devices, devices that handle all the information automatically in a smarter way because we will have to deal with more info & contents since everyone is sharing like crazy. They doing good with refining product segmentation to avoid to be "just another smartphones maker".

Real innovations take time and Research is still In Motion. Be patience everyone
    03-09-12 02:13 AM

I hope RIM is looking into this very issue right now. With so many users having not upgraded to the latest devices its causing RIM to have an even worse issue with perception.
    03-09-12 06:27 AM
    Wow..

RIM is facing a much much bigger challenge than everyone here are thinking. 5 years ago, what everyone needed was staying connected with each other and RIM as company has their core values to connect and protect. That's why they were so successful by providing ppl best communication tools (the lovely Blackberry) and their Blackberry services for enterprise customers.
    But than BOOM. Suddenly staying connected with each other isn't enough anymore. Ppl had the urge to share everything in their lives. Services like youtube and facebook started to grow with explosive speed.

- Apple: apple as hardware maker had their strong core foundation and image through the MAC, the iPod and it's content providing service iTunes. When the iPhone came out, it's sure not much technical innovative but they gave the ppl a package to access and see the media contents in a whole new way.

- Google: they have their foundation the Google search and an image as a big big service provider. They also realized the trend early and expanded their GMail service, bought youtube and still pushing a lot of services that allow to make the whole internet experience faster and more personal.

- Microsoft: a big fat software maker that has OS Windows and everything that come with it as foundation. From everything they brought out in the last few years, I think their early push of Cloud computing service is one of their smartest move. Sure their Windows Phone OS joined the game kinda late, but the big problem is to change their not so cool, mainstream, complicated Windows image in the eyes of the ppl. WP7 is awesome in many ways but many consumers don't even bother to try it.

and RIM: suddenly staying connected is a just an obvious feature for everyone...
    Because everything you want from RIM are new cool shiny phones, better specs, more apps those can do everything......and that NOW!! For that RIM has to change the whole freakin company image, build up contents services (apps, music, movies, books,...) and compete directly with apple and google from ground up without doing any real innovations. I don't think that will work with 3 years time and billions of $ for PR.

What RIM doing now is right. Suck it up, new CEO, build a new OS from ground up, try to make everything smarter, smarter connections between devices. (You can see from all the demos until now, NFC, QNX, BB & PB connections, msg handling in PB). Because what we need in the next few years will be smarter devices, devices that handle all the information automatically in a smarter way because we will have to deal with more info & contents since everyone is sharing like crazy. They doing good with refining product segmentation to avoid to be "just another smartphones maker".

Real innovations take time and Research is still In Motion. Be patience everyone

Well I dont think that RIM is ignoring this fact. With the Playbook and OS 2 they are becomming more interconnected, also through the whole BBM connected apps and super apps threads that they have. They are planning on bringing that to QNX as well and increasing their social awareness. Its still all about communication, but instead of communication in one form or in a couple forms, its pretty much everything. Everyone shares their lives through Facebook, Twitter, etc etc. RIM is looking to use that, and incorporate BBM as another social platform.
    03-09-12 06:36 AM
    I hope RIM is looking into this very issue right now. With so many users having not upgraded to the latest devices its causing RIM to have an even worse issue with perception.
    It was funny because yesterday my Mom mentioned that she wanted to know when there would be new episodes of one of her favorite TV shows that is currently not being aired. I told her I'd search. My BlackBerry ended up hourglassing and freezing. I had to reboot it. My Mom does not even have a smartphone, and she isn't interested in smartphones; so she didn't care when I said I'd check on the PC when I got home. However, that would have presented a very negative impression if I were in a setting with folks who are in the market for smartphones. I understand the limitations of older BlackBerry devices, and I know OS7 has a much better browser, but some people do not know this.
    03-09-12 10:38 AM
    It was funny because yesterday my Mom mentioned that she wanted to know when there would be new episodes of one of her favorite TV shows that is currently not being aired. I told her I'd search. My BlackBerry ended up hourglassing and freezing. I had to reboot it. My Mom does not even have a smartphone, and she isn't interested in smartphones; so she didn't care when I said I'd check on the PC when I got home. However, that would have presented a very negative impression if I were in a setting with folks who are in the market for smartphones. I understand the limitations of older BlackBerry devices, and I know OS7 has a much better browser, but some people do not know this.
    That is the past RIM can not change

having had to go back to an OS6 device for a week, I realized how far OS7 has come, and have encouraged people to give OS7 a try before abandoning BlackBerry, some have, and have thanked me for it, other have and still said it wasn't enough (mostly due to lack of apps)

If a person was in the market for a New phone, they need to try the new ones, it isn't even fair to judge an iPhone 4S by the iPhone 3S. you don't do it justice, the same is said for the BlackBerry's OS7 devices are more than DOUBLE the power of their predecessors, when showing someone an older BlackBerry that is a comment that should be made clear.
    03-09-12 01:42 PM
    That is the past RIM can not change

having had to go back to an OS6 device for a week, I realized how far OS7 has come, and have encouraged people to give OS7 a try before abandoning BlackBerry, some have, and have thanked me for it, other have and still said it wasn't enough (mostly due to lack of apps)

If a person was in the market for a New phone, they need to try the new ones, it isn't even fair to judge an iPhone 4S by the iPhone 3S. you don't do it justice, the same is said for the BlackBerry's OS7 devices are more than DOUBLE the power of their predecessors, when showing someone an older BlackBerry that is a comment that should be made clear.
    I would get an OS7 device if I didn't have to waste my upgrade on it. I cannot pay full retail. In my case, a better browser and touchscreen does not make up for the lack of apps that other currently available devices have. For someone Who needs a new device and cannot wait, the OS7 BlackBerrys are not compelling enough to be stuck with for two years.
    03-09-12 03:10 PM
    I would get an OS7 device if I didn't have to waste my upgrade on it. I cannot pay full retail. In my case, a better browser and touchscreen does not make up for the lack of apps that other currently available devices have. For someone Who needs a new device and cannot wait, the OS7 BlackBerrys are not compelling enough to be stuck with for two years.
    Well, for me and XX,XXX-XXX,XXX number of others who I don't know, it would be worth it. I tend to keep anything that works wonderfully (still have my unlocked 9700 as a wifi device) and will last likely past the first OS 10 device (I don't call it BB 10 for personal reasons, because I like OS 10 more :P) and once the qwerty OS 10 blackberry does arrive, regardless if it doesn't have many apps (not an app person, never will be), I'll upgrade to it, putting it on the WINDtab or paying full price.

Aside from the obvious of mine/others preferences, blackberry balance isn't talked about much in this thread. If I ever get into the workforce (besides general labor or I.T. Which I have some skills for), balance will be crucial to keep work data off my blackberry so no breaches/leaks occur once I leave the workplace.

Balance between work and home is important.
    03-09-12 04:29 PM
    Pump out a 250MB Firmware file that works for each model and stays relevant for months instead of days.

Sometimes people cant see whats directly in front of them.
    03-09-12 04:34 PM
    Pump out a 250MB Firmware file that works for each model and stays relevant for months instead of days.

Sometimes people cant see whats directly in front of them.
    You've got me thinking. One update per month? Now that is better! (Darn carriers can't keep 'em held in a backlog forever)

This way, as soon as the bugs are worked out, it's pushed and available. I like this route. Or maybe every few months just to be certain. I remember going through beta versions of software in the windows days, it wasn't perfect, but it was awesome to be a tester.

The blackberry beta zone should be for the leaked OS's, then made official once bugs are worked out. It takes time and patience.
    03-09-12 04:45 PM
    I will also echo what many others have said. I have any upgrade that I do not want to waste on outdated hardware and soon to be outdated software. My Storm 2 is trying to die and I cannot find a cheap used one to replace it.

If the Galaxy Note comes to Verizon before BB10 comes out or I win a Playbook, I will be jumping ship.

If the rumors are right and the Playbook is coming out in 3G/4G, why not shrink it to 5.5" and compete with the Note. It is selling like hotcakes.
    03-09-12 04:57 PM
    Those who are not finacially capable of upgrading twice in 2 years have to make a choice, personally I think the BBOS7 devices are well worth the upgrade over BB0S6 devices even if one has to keep them for 2 years, but nothing is stopping someone from buying a BB7 device now, and selling their BBOS6 device then banking that money for a BB10 device, and when BB10 comes out with the form factor they want, they can sell their BBOS7 device to put toward the BB10 device as well,
    There are lots of strategies beyond that to get your upgrades, or you make due with that you have and wait.

Being a tech junky I learned long ago, buy for what I want now, and not keep waiting, because if I wait for what is next, I'm never going to have what I need now.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    03-09-12 05:18 PM
    Two things RIM should do to stay relevant.

1- Regarding BBOS devices, they should always remind people that BlackBerry is secure. Repeat the word secure in every advertisement campaign along with the fun part. Remind people that it has BBM. If people switch to another phones they will miss BBM. Repeat, BBM! In the business area, RIM has to remind people that BES is being used in many of the top Forbes 500 companies. It is being used by the president of the United States because it is too secure and also being used by many celebrities because it is FUN.

2- Regarding the upcoming BB10 phones. They should focus on NATIVE apps. C++ apps and SDKs. They shouldn't bother themselves, lazy developers or users with junkie apps. They should always focus on Native. Native and that's it. Everything Native. No Adobe Air. They ruined the Facebook app when they released an Adobe Air based client. It is too crappy if compared with any other Facebook client. Twitter has to be Native TAT Cascades based client. What matters is the user experience and the smoothness of the app. People don't really care about functionality anymore, they need to see good looking stuff. About Android Player, they should upgrade it to 4.0. ICS Holo themed apps look really great. ICS supports more languages by default so they won't bother supporting all languages in every runtime. They have to do it right otherwise, they don't do it at all.

NATIVE again. I bothered Alec Saunders on Twitter.. I told him that RIM needs a miracle to survive and this miracle is TAT Cascades.
    03-09-12 06:27 PM
    #5. is a "no brainer" to most companies. Sell upgrades to your existing customers. Direct eMails to their PIN. Make them feel "exclusive", "special treatment" loyalty rewards etc.
    Great note overall.
    RIM are really appalling at marketing and sales. What's worst is that they know it, but nothing changes. Still waiting (sound familiar) for the White Knight Mktg. guy to ride in to the rescue.
    03-09-12 09:24 PM
    WOW great post!!! i believe rim just needs to get more developers on board with popular games and apps, if you look at apple and android whats the one thing people are always talking about? there always saying look at this new app or new game, blackberry needs to be able to produce games and apps that are better than whats released on android market and app store. most of the people i know with an iphone or droid have it for 2 reason apps and games. they dont care about the os. As long as the outside of the phone looks good and it came play all the newest games and apps there happy. RIM already makes beautiful phones i think if they could get some more developer support i think that would help them out a lot!!

By the way Sith_Apprentice i love #3 i think thats a great idea. or make it so that the people get a free 16gb playbook but if they dont like it, if they return within a month they're still able to get the $100-$200 off a bb10 device
    03-10-12 01:38 AM
    They visit Best Buy, Future Shop, Staples and other retail outlets to check out the PlayBook displays. They report which stores have working displays and describe the display placement. Sometimes they install PlayBook upgrades, clean up accumulated files, and leave the PlayBooks in good running order in demo mode.

They have accumulated a great deal of information about store displays and how potential buyers react to them: the USB power plugs and cords are so fragile that display PlayBooks need another solution; displays should include printed guidance because passers-by are often baffled by the swipe gestures required to activate and use the PlayBook.

They innocently pose as ordinary retail buyers and check out the attitudes of store sales staff. They describe whether they encountered hostility toward RIM and the PlayBook, or support for potential buyers who show an interest. They give demos to sales staff and try to educate them about the PlayBook's positives. If they encounter a possible PlayBook buyer, they may whip out their personal PlayBook to show its advantages. They even compare notes among themselves about how many acquaintances and family members they have been able to convert to the PlayBook.

Who are they? RIM sales reps, perhap? Then again ... perhaps not: "A while back, I actually encountered a representative from Blackberry with logo shirt etc. I ask[ed] him wh[y] the demo unit did not work. He said that the WiFi was not good enough to update it. I told him[:] For goodness sakes, take the thing home if you have to but get it updated and get a power cord for it that is not broken. He just shrugged. There you have it."

They are, of course, PlayBook fans ... or enthusiasts, if you prefer ... who post here in the CrackBerry forums. What I find particularly intriguing is the number of PlayBook fans who have arrived from outside the BlackBerry user community. There is something about the PlayBook hardware and its user interface that attracts some people, even with the PlayBook software in its current half finished state.

I can identify with this fan spirit, for it reminds me of the early days of the Mac. The original Mac just grabbed my attention, even though it had more potential than capability when it first appeared. I remember going to Mac user group meetings and reading Mac newsletters. Apple knew how to benefit from its fans' enthusiasm. By comparison, RIM seems quite remote from its fans. Amiga, Atari, Sinclair, Palm, they all had fans, and they don't guarantee a company's future. But the fans are a resource that RIM should nurture and leverage.

deRusett: "RIM should expand on their advertising effort with a 30M budget for RIM sales staff, not rep houses and 3rd party groups but a group of people for North America with a unified mission statement, a list of BES installations, Carrier support/sales staff who are specific to each carrier, and leaders/managers targeting the message of Products to Businesses, to Universities, to Governments."

RIM does need to defend its BES installations and persuade those clients to buy upgrades. Holding onto those installations is financially critical for RIM. But i think that RIM is only playing defense there. Unless RIM can compete head to head with Apple and Android makers in the consumer market, I firmly believe that RIM's BES installations will dwindle down to a small niche market.

Sith_Apprentice: "They also have hired marketing firms (MarketStar being one)." Given RIM's lack of experience with retail, it's understandable that RIM would need outside help. But outsourcing the retail marketing? "Sell those things? -- that's not our job, we just make 'em."

With new LTE and HSPA+ PlayBooks apparently on the way, RIM may be back in its comfort zone with carrier subsidies and marketing. But I hope that RIM gets a Wifi-only PlayBook back into retail stores, reloaded and ready to use right out of the box. RIM is in the fight of its life in the U.S., and the company needs to get into the ring itself and learn how to succeed in the retail channel.

Surely a retail effort could leverage the store reports and other information coming from fans: descriptions of the state of store displays and stock, intelligence about store managers and sales staff who have favorable attitudes to RIM and would be receptive to promos and demos, ... In-store meetings between fans and RIM reps could be helpful, to potential buyers, store personnel, the fans and even the RIM reps themselves.

There are numerous CrackBerry reports of store sales staff and managers who are hostile to RIM and the PlayBook, but also some who are favorable. Why not recruit RIM's sales reps among these fan-identified people, or even recruit among the fans themselves? Enthusiasm counts.

RIM could do so much more to motivate and mobilize fans. Look at the reaction to Alec Saunders, simply because he communicates, appears to be available, and discloses his online coordinates. RIM needs evangelists, or ombudsmen, or whatever you want to call them, high profile visible contacts who have influence in RIM. Fans appreciate the little things: what about special PINs, or PlayBooks with distinctive frames? Fans like to read about people who are accomplishing things in the company -- just who did the work on the great PB hardware?

There are hundreds and hundreds of CrackBerry posts recounting observations and experiences in retail stores. I'll close by quoting two of them:

ffejrobins30 -- Jan 13, 2012 :

I had to cruise over to office depot to pick up a new wirless router today. While I was there I walked by the tablet section to see what their Playbook display was now. Sadly, There was no unit on display and the price tags were $599 for the 32gb and $699 for the 64gb. I asked the manager what happened to the display unit and he informed me that they took it down because RIM wasn't supporting it anymore.

Just then a random customer came over and was looking the tabs over, so right in front of the manager I pulled out my PB and loaded up the Crackberry Website and showed them all the news and videos from CES. The manager asked me how I was getting internet, where I then demoed the beautiful functions of Bridge to him AND the customer. With the CES vidios running, explaining the OS2 updates on the way, I asked the manager if this is how a company "stops" support of a device. He was shocked!

I started chatting with the customer and found out that he just bought a new 9900, so I showed him how the Playbook was a perfect fit for him. I also explained that if they had any in stock, they could get a price match for the sale price. The guy ended up picking up a 64gb for $299, we walked over to Wendy's in the parking lot and I showed him all about his new beauty over lunch. Hopefully he'll be 100% satisfied with his decision.

Coach101 -- Mar 4, 2012 :

Was at the Best Buys in Mississauga Ontario (Dundas and Winston Churchill) to pickup a playbook yesterday. They had 2 on display. One with OS 1 and the other with OS 2. Spoke to a sales rep who asked why I wanted a playbook. After going though a demo to him and going though the features including the remote functions he was blown away. I grabbed 3 16 gigs as presents and left the store.

Today I was driving by and thought I would drop in and grab a 10 foot micro hdmi cable and guess who I ran into. The same sales rep informed me that he sold 8 or 9 new playbooks since the day before because he saw the advantages over competing tablets for the price. He's said that he had one return because the person wanted to get a playbook with more memory.
    03-15-12 10:18 AM
    Wow, a lots of long posts. A very good topic to discuss.

To me, RIM has been sitting on what they have and ignoring how fast the market has been changing. They still make very good hardware for their phones and tablets. But their software just sucks big time. Also they lack of innovation.

I'm a little bit on the pessimistic side about RIM's future although I wish them well as I live in Waterloo Canada and fully support local Canadian business. With Windows 8 mobile devices coming out very soon, you can imagine how that will impact the market. I'm thinking even Apple won't be able to hold the market lead after that because of their closed system. RIM need BIG change. What change and how to change, I don't know as I'm not that smart to figure it out. But one thing for sure I know is, they can't just keep the current status quo.
    03-15-12 10:57 AM
    #5. is a "no brainer" to most companies. Sell upgrades to your existing customers. Direct eMails to their PIN. Make them feel "exclusive", "special treatment" loyalty rewards etc.
    Great note overall.
    RIM are really appalling at marketing and sales. What's worst is that they know it, but nothing changes. Still waiting (sound familiar) for the White Knight Mktg. guy to ride in to the rescue.
    I agree that loyalty rewards would be a great idea.

However, I would not want PIN or email spam from RIM (or Apple, or Microsoft, or Google, or anyone else). If any company spammed me with emails or other messages, that would be a surefire way to lose me as a customer. I do not consider spamming me making me feel special. The feeling I have regarding spam would lead me to say something that is unprintable here or on any family-friendly site.
    Last edited by lak611; 03-15-12 at 08:38 PM.
    03-15-12 08:34 PM
    They need to focus on the things that made them popular and make them better. Like a 9900/9930 style BB10 device.
    03-23-12 11:07 PM
    they need to pray
    and to change their image.
    03-30-12 05:34 AM
97 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD