I was just wondering how many of your employers are getting their moneys worth. I don't really care where you work but what you actually do when you're there.

I am a microwave transmitter tech. I've got 68 transmitters I have to keep running, and I don't do a darn thing. The vast majority of my work day consists of me playing poker, watching movies, or listening to music on my bb. Over a weeks period I probably only do about 7-10 hours of work in the 48 hours I'm there. The only reason I get away with it is because I'm upstairs in this giant room by myself and no one else has any idea how to do my job. I love it. So what do you do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 09:13 PM
    Jack around on CB and look busy.

11-13-08 09:18 PM
    Sucks to be me - I actually have to work.

11-13-08 09:22 PM
    I'm an electrician. I run all the wiring on houses/buildings that have just been built or being remodeled. I definitely earn my pay. Without me, a lot of people would be without electricity!

11-13-08 09:23 PM
    I manage an accounting and insurance firm.

Basically I delegate work, and take care of our "big" clients/accounts.
    11-13-08 09:25 PM
    I manage a tech support network of 12 engineers, schedule phone rotations and assign cases. If all goes right I lurk on CB. If not, it's computer and phone all day. BTW, I do it all from my home office.

11-13-08 09:26 PM
    Sucks to be me - I actually have to work.

I'm with you, girl. I have to work, too.

11-13-08 09:33 PM
    Tech support (voice and networks)
    On a good week, I can literally not do a darn thing. Maybe 6-10 hrs of work.
    On a bad week, I live here. Crisis time turns to serious extra hours at work.
    11-13-08 09:36 PM
    Accountant. I have actual work to do.
    And in July and August my work load is off the hook.
    11-13-08 09:44 PM
    I manage an accounting and insurance firm.

Basically I delegate work, and take care of our "big" clients/accounts.
    The thread's title emphasized the word 'REALLY' for a reason. ;-).

jk.

For me...1/4 is spent working on yesterday's work that should have been done today, 1/4 is spent doing today's work, 1/4 is spent showing the paralegals how to do their work, and the remainding 1/4 is spent doing everything else (CB included).

11-13-08 09:58 PM
    This is starting to be the slow time of year for me. Out of a 9 hour day I probably get about 7 hours of free time. Might sound easy but its way worse than actually being busy! It drives me crazy! It is good money though

11-13-08 10:27 PM
    Has anyone else ever noticed that sometimes its a lot more work looking busy then actually being busy? Not all the time mind you buy everyonce in a while I run out of crap to look busy with.

11-13-08 11:10 PM
    I'm all by myself all day so I don't even have to look busy. I just have to sound busy if someone calls me on the radio or phone. That's if we're not doing some kind of project. If we are then I'm busy running wiring. But that's rare.

11-13-08 11:18 PM
    Well, I'm a personal assistant. It's been slow so during the day I do maybe an hour of work writing letters and emails, making business calls, sorting and filing peperwork. I'm in the office about 6 hours a day, 4-5 days a week, sometimes less.

I take personal phone calls, screw around on Facebook and MySpace a lot but there's only so much of that I can do. Then I hit up CB and tinker around on here. I don't really know what I do. Funny thing is, my boss knows this and if I'm ever "in the middle of something" he won't tell me to stop what I'm doing, he waits until I'm done (but I usually stop when he walks in).
    11-14-08 12:36 AM
    I'm a egineer at AT&T so I dial into phone system's on my spare time, but I'm always chatting on my bbm
    11-14-08 12:42 AM
    My day flies by - I'm an investment advisor so have to see 4 people per day and each meeting last upto 2 hours!! No time for cb in the day! Glum. Happy today tho as hopefully pickin up my storm!! (Yes..I live in the uk)

11-14-08 01:22 AM
    I organize the workday and assign duties to my treatment plant operators. I am in communication with them all day via nextel ptt phones answering questions and making decisions about what to do to solve problems as they come up. I write evaluations and more work plans -- SOP's for plant processes and equipment. Order bulk chemicals we use -- I spend on average 30 to 40 thousand dollars a week. Often more rarely less.

I monitor spreadsheets created with plant data from lab analysis and equipment readings from my staff to keep an eye on and study plant performance to make sure we meet strict regulatory compliance. I make adjustments in operation guidelines to ensure we meet goals. I also monitor our equipment and process control data via our computers with a SCADA program. Very cool stuff -- I can make pump adjustment and start or stop them with my desktop PC. I take responsibility if we fail to meet our permit limitations as set by the State Department of Health and the USEPA. Penalties can be as high as $50K per incident per day -- the fine is assessed everyday a problem persists.

I represent my facility a various conferences and serve on the State of Colorado's Plant Operators Certification Board. And every once in a while I might pop in and see what's going on at CB.

Last edited by exelant; 11-14-08 at 01:40 AM.
    11-14-08 01:36 AM
    They just this week restricted internet access to those they decide "need" it at work and no phone in the world will work with all the transmitters so no cb for me. I've been shaky and irritable. Withdrawl symptoms maybe?

11-14-08 01:41 AM
    I'm a photographer, so my days/nights are spent behind a shutter, then in front of a computer photoshopping them up.

It's the start of summertime here, so it's my busiest time of the year with all the weddings and the modeling shots.

Still, I find time to be on here and indulging my BB obsession
    11-14-08 01:48 AM
    I'm an electrician. I run all the wiring on houses/buildings that have just been built or being remodeled. I definitely earn my pay. Without me, a lot of people would be without electricity!

No electricity=no way way to charge our BB's! so...we should all be saying thanks to electricians like you!
    11-14-08 01:59 AM
    I'm tech support for a large company. With (currently 3) other people, we support roughly 500 PC's and servers, plus phones and scanning devices and the networks in 3 buildings from 3 AM till 11:30 PM.

Some days are slow, and I try to do a little work to log it. Some days are super busy.
    11-14-08 03:47 AM
    well, i have 2 jobs. at Sunglass Hut, i actually have to work. i work part time at a Storage Unit. we rent Storage unit rooms for people that don't wanna throw their stuff out...we also deal with UHaul, (but only have one truck), and we do UPS. nobody ever shows up. my boss owns alot of buildings around where i live as well as apartment buildings. so i'm busy at the end/beginning of every month because they all come in and pay for their monthly rents for their storage units or apartments. other than i chill on crackberry all day, talk on the phone, and drink coffee so i don't fall asleep.
    11-14-08 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD