My thought is it is my belief, and something most people I meet have no idea of. I never have had race enter my mind, when judging a person ever. It is the individual who defines themselves. If they choose to have their background define them, it will be apparent, but what part of their background is to be determined as you learn about them.
    10-18-09 10:08 PM
    You want to challenge someones integrity, I suggest you do it openly, or not at all.

I am not at all challenging her integrity, just her comment. I do not know her to challenge her integrity. I wanted to make sure your thread stayed on topic and as open and honest as it has been thus far---no name calling, etc...
    10-18-09 10:09 PM
    Dont get me wrong, I see race, and I would see anything else on a person (I am not blind). But I guess my point I don't prejudge anyone by the way they look. Wether it be color, warts on the tip of their nose, or any other feature that makes them different from me. I think people are who they are by the way they are brought up and how they make an impact on this world we live in, not by any other feature, including color.
    I understand and will go out on a limb and say for some that the way some are brought up had to do directly with race -- not all the time and not everythng but it does play a role. thoughts??
    10-18-09 10:11 PM
    My thought is it is my belief, and something most people I meet have no idea of. I never have had race enter my mind, when judging a person ever. It is the individual who defines themselves. If they choose to have their background define them, it will be apparent, but what part of their background is to be determined as you learn about them.
    huh, could you explain this one more again for me please?
    10-18-09 10:12 PM
    Dont get me wrong, I see race, and I would see anything else on a person (I am not blind). But I guess my point I don't prejudge anyone by the way they look. Wether it be color, warts on the tip of their nose, or any other feature that makes them different from me. I think people are who they are by the way they are brought up and how they make an impact on this world we live in, not by any other feature, including color.
    XD I do I just don't let it control me. I also try not to just I see and old person and I just assume they will be racist. Or like my girl friend, I saw her raven black hair with random white hairs and I thought she'd be goth, but I was wrong her hair is just naturally black and white (white hair at 23 is a fetish I didn't know I had...). I doubt I could detail more without starting a flame war...

either way I don't let my judgments mess with my life and I try not to be like that *srugh* what can I say?
    10-18-09 10:12 PM
    I understand and will go out on a limb and say for some that the way some are brought up had to do directly with race -- not all the time and not everythng but it does play a role. thoughts??
    I totally agree. And it is sad. I think certain environments and upbringings have made poeple just down right "stupid". Hopefully times are changing and attitudes that go along with it.
    10-18-09 10:15 PM
    XD I do I just don't let it control me. I also try not to just I see and old person and I just assume they will be racist. Or like my girl friend, I saw her raven black hair with random white hairs and I thought she'd be goth, but I was wrong her hair is just naturally black and white (white hair at 23 is a fetish I didn't know I had...). I doubt I could detail more without starting a flame war...

either way I don't let my judgments mess with my life and I try not to be like that *srugh* what can I say?
    Now see, I do not think there was anything wrong with that. The problem would have been: a. you did not talk to her becuase you thought she was goth and would have missed out on finding out the truth.
    b. you treated differently than you do everyone else becuase you did not know she was goth.
    10-18-09 10:16 PM
    I totally agree. And it is sad. I think certain environments and upbringings have made poeple just down right "stupid". Hopefully times are changing and attitudes that go along with it.

Well given the world in which we live, a lot has to change for it not to matter. Sad maybe, but it is survival for some.
    10-18-09 10:18 PM
    it is not just HS kids, it is adults too---it is about comfort (whatever the it happens to be).
    Of course it is, they were just the example to make that point. People always seek out who they are comfortable with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 10:21 PM
    Now see, I do not think there was anything wrong with that. The problem would have been: a. you did not talk to her becuase you thought she was goth and would have missed out on finding out the truth.
    b. you treated differently than you do everyone else becuase you did not know she was goth.
    Are you kidding I talked to her BECAUSE I thought she was goth. I love goth girls. Don't get me wrong I love her...she could be paler...black nails...blue hair...

ok ok I'll stop.
    10-18-09 10:23 PM
    Of course it is, they were just the example to make that point. People always seek out who they are comfortable with.

Very much so, it has been said I like "special" people for a reason.
    10-18-09 10:24 PM
    Are you kidding I talked to her BECAUSE I thought she was goth. I love goth girls. Don't get me wrong I love her...she could be paler...black nails...blue hair...

ok ok I'll stop.
    well you got my point!!!!!
    10-18-09 10:24 PM
    Race I think is always a dicey issue and the definition will vary
    depending on who you are talking to, their upbringing, religious
    beliefs, and a laundry list of other things.

It is also next to religion the single most polarizing thing amongst
    us, which is truly odd since neither should be.

For the record: I am Black. I am not Colored, Negro, Afro
    American, African American or a Person of Color. And I
    ABSOLUTELY refuse to hyphenate my heritage.
    10-18-09 10:39 PM
    I am not at all challenging her integrity, just her comment. I do not know her to challenge her integrity. I wanted to make sure your thread stayed on topic and as open and honest as it has been thus far---no name calling, etc...
    You questioned whether she truly believed what she wrote.

huh, could you explain this one more again for me please?
    I believe in judging the content of ones character, not the color of their skin. King had it right, and there are few who really follow the dream he sought to fulfill.
    10-18-09 10:43 PM
    The video quality is bad but the words are very meaningful.

Smokey Robinson

10-18-09 10:48 PM
    You questioned whether she truly believed what she wrote.

I believe in judging the content of ones character, not the color of their skin. King had it right, and there are few who really follow the dream he sought to fulfill.
    I did not, I challenged her to think about her comment from a different view point. Of course she beleived what she wrote, that was never in question.
    I agree with you and Dr. King. One should not be judged by the color of their skin. Muy argument is that the color of their skin is part of who they are and should not be ignored.

10-18-09 10:59 PM
    Race I think is always a dicey issue and the definition will vary
    depending on who you are talking to, their upbringing, religious
    beliefs, and a laundry list of other things.

It is also next to religion the single most polarizing thing amongst
    us, which is truly odd since neither should be.

For the record: I am Black. I am not Colored, Negro, Afro
    American, African American or a Person of Color. And I
    ABSOLUTELY refuse to hyphenate my heritage.
    AG in all the previous race discussions, you never revealed your race. Once you even said you were not going to. Can I ask why now?

10-18-09 11:01 PM
    AG in all the previous race discussions, you never revealed your race. Once you even said you were not going to. Can I ask why now?
    Simply because it is apropos to this discussion and I think it is an important one
    to have. If I am going to participate I feel all my cards should be on the table.

I know I've played the race thing close to the vest and did not fully
    participate in the other discussions but this one seems to be going in the
    right direction. You know adults talking to adults
    10-18-09 11:07 PM
    Simply because it is apropos to this discussion and I think it is an important one
    to have. If I am going to participate I feel all my cards should be on the table.
    Agreed. If I tell you I knew would it matter to you?

10-18-09 11:10 PM
    Agreed. If I tell you I knew would it matter to you?
    Matter? no, but I'd be curious as to the "giveaway". Maybe better for PM
    10-18-09 11:20 PM
    Matter? no, but I'd be curious as to the "giveaway". Maybe better for PM
    PM away. I would PM you but I am on my curve and have yet to figure out how to start a pm on here.

10-18-09 11:23 PM
    Politely butting in.....hey envied I figured this out earlier tonight because I was too lazy to get out of bed...go up top and click the pm link. Then when your inbox page comes up, scroll allllll the way to botton. You will see a link to send one.

10-18-09 11:27 PM
    That works but the lazy in me had to cut and paste his name just to make sure it was spelled correctly. Thanks mavis

10-18-09 11:35 PM
    i feel race and nationality are the same. i dont see a difference between the 2. most of us (in america) are multi-cultural anyway. most "whites" i know have a smorgasbord of races in them. really,...they do.
    10-19-09 12:01 AM
    I only see one race. The human race.
    10-19-09 12:09 AM
110 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD