Asst. Fire Chief.
    The department provides all chief officers with a cell phone or a phone allowance. I opt for the phone allowance so that I have my choice of device. The current issued phone is a Palm Treo and I would much rather have a BB. Tons of emails everyday, shift calendar access at all times, and dispatch notifications as well.
    Hey I used to be a EMS Supervisor, but we didn't have BB's.... All I had was a measly 1 way alphanumeric pager.
    04-17-09 02:35 AM
    Overnight Accounting Office in a Walmart store. Been here five years, and my BlackBerry is my one guilty pleasure.

Don't be fooled by what you hear; Walmart actually pays pretty decently for a retail job. I don't mind it too much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 06:27 AM
    FEMA... they supply us all with BB's, then I got addicted lol. So not I have a curve for my FEMA phone and a Pearl for my personal phone! I also work on an ambulance so they are really handy for those long transports of stable patients. I can sit back and play whatever I want to while my patient sleeps. Not to mention that I also have a photography business on the side. I have 4 different email addys that I am constantly getting information in. It is great to have the emails at the tip of my fingers all the time.
    04-17-09 12:07 PM
    I'm a med school student so I need to get emails from professors and school and keep track of assignments, I also get 20% off for being a student and another 20% off becuase I used to work at a hospital and got a work discount : )

04-17-09 12:19 PM
    My Bold is currently just my personal phone, as I work at a large convenience store/restaurant chain on the east coast as a store-level assistant manager. I'm not happy about having to leave my freelance music production job (the BB would've been indispensable then) but due to uncontrollable circumstances, I needed to get a job with a better paycheck/health benefits.

Sorry to turn that into a "poor-me" story, but I'm wondering if anyone had any advice about good career fields to explore for part-time college while working a rotating shift 45-hr work week. I want to go back to school, something in the entertainment business or maybe acoustical engineering (or something,) but I'm thinking it's going to be difficult with how often this job expects me to be available. I'm only 23, so I've got plenty of time and no mortgage so I think this is the perfect time for me to reconsider my options.

Haha, long post- so sorry. Hit me up with a PM or a PIN message if you've got any advice (especially you guys with cool jobs, I need a great outside opinion.)
    04-17-09 02:18 PM
    Business Care for Sprint. Service is free, had to buy the phone. Dont NEED it, but WANT it. Although, it IS a business phone, of sorts.
    04-17-09 02:33 PM
    I'm a corporate lawyer. i love, and hate, my bb.
    04-17-09 03:13 PM
    Cell phone sells. U.S. Cellular to be exact. So, of course I have to have a berry!!
    04-17-09 03:36 PM
    I'm a corporate lawyer. i love, and hate, my bb.
    hate is such a strong word :P
    04-17-09 03:40 PM
    Engineering. The company pays something like 10-15% of my bill for getting my e-mail on the storm. Not free, but a nice discount for something I would have gotten anyway.

I'm just kind of curious which careers support the BB as far as buying them for you? Do any require you to have them?
    04-17-09 04:23 PM
    I work in State government in Australia. My BB is not used in my role, even higher management don't get issued BB. Our IT policy at work is strict so my work emaill is work only.
    My partner is a a builder and a carpenter dpeciising in custom home builds. He is still on the tools so a BB is not a phone for him (especially if the phone was to fall whilst he he is up high installing roof trusses).

My partner can text me and from my BB at work I can email out quotes, invoices, plans for quoting etc.

In addition to that we are property investors so when my property manager emailed me to say the tenants are vacating one of your properties. I quickly checked out online what similar properties are being leased out at and advised to increase the rent to be in line with market rent rates. All this was done instantly without the need for me to wait until 6pm when I get home from work. .
    I also suppose that the BB will be essential wheb I become a full time mum and as such my admin role for the business will increasem

This is my first smart phone and after having a play with my cousin's BB, and a friends iphone I was sold. I was no longer on a contract and was able to get the phone for nothing, unlimited internet and emails and fore calls in my cap for cheaper than what I was paying before. Oh and it helps being a business tax writeoff.

04-17-09 04:37 PM
    4 years as Managing Director Vehicle Logistics and Requirements for Naval Special Warfare. Before that, 21 years active duty. 8700G is my work device, hoping BB comes out with some new phones without cameras.
    04-17-09 04:48 PM
    Engineering, environmental
    04-17-09 05:50 PM
    I've been working for an NFL team in the Pulic Relations Dept. I have to say this is the best job that any woman could wish for. Great people and a great team to PR for. Though I'd love to be an Agent...maybe someday.

04-17-09 06:20 PM
    I can't live or work withourt my BB Curve.
    I've been working for an NFL team in the Pulic Relations Dept. I have to say this is the best job that any woman could wish for. Great people and a great team to PR for. Though I'd love to be an Agent...maybe someday.

04-17-09 06:21 PM
    Bank Manager here.

04-17-09 07:43 PM
    Airport cab driver. Phone not provided but more than pays for itself. Responding to e-mails from foreign guests quickly is crucial.
    04-17-09 07:49 PM
    Healtcare. My is not is not required but I can't live without it!!
    04-17-09 09:41 PM
    I meant my phone is not required in my career but I can't live without it!!
    04-17-09 09:42 PM
    I'm a medical transcriptionist and I have no career need for a BlackBerry whatsoever. I just want it and love it.

My work is done on the computer and I have made friends all over the country from MT websites, but I don't have a computer of my own (it belongs to the hospital) so it keeps me in touch with my friends.

And at my age, the BB has more memory than I do, so it keeps me organized.

I have a son away at school so I'm able to stay in touch with him too.

I also don't have a landline or cable TV so...well, you see where this is going. And of course to watch Sprint TV and listen to music and talk radio (via BerryTunes) while I work out or walk my dog.

I suppose I don't really need one, certainly not for my job, but it does enhance the quality of every aspect of my life.

Heck, I'll admit it. I don't need it...but I want it!!!

I have it, and I LOVE it.
    Last edited by rachaelrant; 04-17-09 at 10:59 PM. Reason: addition
    04-17-09 10:26 PM
    I'm a bail bondsman, do a bit of traveling so its nice to be able to get directions, phone numbers, photos via email, etc
    04-17-09 11:37 PM
    Dispatcher and a Fireman. I use it while dispatching quite a bit a few of the officers have them and its easy to give information back and forth on via a bb message, if something out of the norm occurs. Also get automated texts of incidents throughout the battalion and what ems is doing in the area for the fire thing
    04-18-09 01:27 AM
    umm...i work in a grocery store and a movie theater...its not needed i get 25% off of my verizon bill via my grocery store job and i wanted the storm as i had the curve
    04-18-09 04:40 AM
    Sales manager in the chemicals/thermoplastics industry. Manage an 11-state territory in SE US. Simply could not excel (or even function) w/out BB!
    04-18-09 05:15 AM
    I'm in the military, currently working in Policy and Procedures. Before the addition of my BB I would have to attempt to jungle meetings, deadlines and numerous other tasks. Thankfully my BB has helped me to manage all of my tasks.
    04-18-09 05:38 AM
625 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD