I saw this driving down the road today. I'm hoping someone can tell me wtf it is. There's a huge pole sticking out of the trunk, an antenna next to it, and 2 round metal objects sticking out from both sides of the back of the car. One is where the gas tank door should be. There was also a bunch of electronic devices on the dashboard. Last I saw of the car he had 2 cops following him...but that could just be coincidence...maybe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 06:29 PM
    BTW sorry the pictures aren't better quality. I of course snapped the shots from my berry through my dirty rainy windshield. Next time I'll get out at the light & act like papparazzi

10-14-09 06:31 PM
    Could be the "Google Car"... Takes street view photos of all the roads/highways, so that when you use Google Maps, you can see what the streets look like (landmarks, etc...). Maybe?
    10-14-09 06:33 PM
    Could be the "Google Car"... Takes street view photos of all the roads/highways, so that when you use Google Maps, you can see what the streets look like (landmarks, etc...). Maybe?
    I'm willing to bet that's what it is. I read an article about those cars and it matches the description... somewhat.

Could be some other kind of survey-taking-mobile.

And it's a Chevrolet Malibu, sometimes called a Classic.
    10-14-09 06:36 PM
    I'm willing to bet that's what it is. I read an article about those cars and it matches the description... somewhat.

Could be some other kind of survey-taking-mobile.

And it's a Chevrolet Malibu, sometimes called a Classic.
    Yeah, I've seen a few here in CA. They've all been Priuses (Prii?). Anyway, they had huge protrusions sticking out from the top, too.
    10-14-09 06:39 PM
    If you can get a good look inside, they're usually full of computers too.
    10-14-09 06:41 PM
    All I saw inside as I flew past the old people driving it was a bunch of devices on the dashboard. Could have been a bomb for all I know haha

10-14-09 07:16 PM
    The devices you are looking at are amateur radio "screwdriver" HF antennas without whips installed... nothing to do with google.
    10-14-09 07:43 PM
    Oh & thanks S7ar Scr3am & Robot for your thoughts. I'm definitely going to look more into it. The whole way up the road I couldn't stop staring at it. Coolest thing I've seen all day.

10-14-09 07:44 PM
    confused......
    10-14-09 07:44 PM
    Looks like some blue hairs who are up to something.
    10-14-09 08:55 PM
    Terrorists!

10-14-09 09:25 PM
    Eyestalk sorry dude I didn't mean to ignore your post earlier I never saw it. I just looked up radio antennas & didn't see anything that looked like this car. Now I didn't look that hard, just a couple sites, but still, nada.
    They were driving near the nuclear power plant....maybe they are terrorists! I should have made a citizens arrest. Dang missed that one didn't I!

10-14-09 11:31 PM
    I've seen homemade antennas for ham and 10 meter radios rigged up like that.

10-15-09 12:13 AM
    Storm chasers maybe? Thing on the back makes it look like it could be coal powered or something, or an ultimate tailgate car with woodburning stove in the trunk...
    10-15-09 12:30 AM
    I think the car was just excited to see Strawbaby coming up behind it.
    10-15-09 04:38 AM
    Could of been the garbage converter, remember Back to the Future 2 and 3, Doc Brown added the feature to the DeLorean from the future technology.

But that is way far fetched.

10-15-09 06:32 AM
    Mr. Fusion!
    10-15-09 08:01 AM
    Maybe its a Malibu that has the exhaust going up trough the trunk to be able to go under water LOL

I haven't seen anything like that driving around birmingham here.
    10-15-09 09:03 AM
    Maybe it's a car bong...
    10-15-09 09:14 AM
    Looks like a Chevy Malibu with a breathing hole for its' captive in the trunk.
    10-22-09 03:15 AM
    No don't think it's google. Maybe a navteq type map updater? Or maybe they converted their car into a wood burning gasifier powered vehicle lol

10-23-09 12:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD