It's probably be debated in other threads but people change their minds quite often.

Simply put, what age should a child be given the responsibility of a smart phone? I have just read an article (SARAH VINE: on why she took her daughter's mobile phone away | Mail Online) and it makes a fair point. I have heard of toddlers waking up in the night to demand access to iPads and the alike.

How old do you think a child should be before they get access to a screen that can access pretty much all the content in the world?
    05-21-14 09:03 AM
    All parents will feel differently about this. I didn't get my first cell phone until I was a senior in high school, and bought my own. I think I will have my child do the same.

I had a family computer since as long as I can remember, and got my own in middle school. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to handle that, but I feel a time restriction may be best. I don't want my child to be on a PC all day, but instead be active.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 09:13 AM

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    Dirtymike14 likes this.
    05-21-14 09:24 AM
    Working in the wireless industry, I have seen kids as young as 8 getting a smartphone, wtf is wrong with parents!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 09:31 AM
    It's probably be debated in other threads but people change their minds quite often.

Simply put, what age should a child be given the responsibility of a smart phone? I have just read an article (SARAH VINE: on why she took her daughter's mobile phone away | Mail Online) and it makes a fair point. I have heard of toddlers waking up in the night to demand access to iPads and the alike.

How old do you think a child should be before they get access to a screen that can access pretty much all the content in the world?
    When he/she's old enough to get a job and pay for it on their own.
    05-21-14 09:44 AM
    Exactly n
    05-21-14 09:54 AM
    I think that the big question is smart, if I have a 12/13 year old with a busy schedule, I'd want then to have a phone, but a dumb one so they can call for pickup. But when to let them have a smartphone is a huge deal.

Via Z10
    05-21-14 10:01 AM
    It's less about the age, more about the maturity level. Get them a really cheap flip phone and see if they can keep from losing it, breaking it, etc.

Then once you've seen just how well they care for it, you'll know.

You can also gauge it by how they take care of other electronics in the house or ones they've had.

Just my opinion.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-21-14 10:53 AM
    My mom raised me that way. I didn't get my first smartphone until my early 20's. Needless to say, now it's my hobby and I've owned/used more than 30+ of them. None have been stolen, only one broken but still functional.

Sent from the one in beautiful blue using Tapatalk.
    05-21-14 10:55 AM
    I got my first phone at around age 9 or 10 about 13 years ago. I got my first smart phone a couple of years later. I feel like I was responsible enough as a child and that having a phone at that age was totally acceptable. I plan on doing the same for my kids.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 11:27 AM
    When they can pay for it
    05-21-14 11:47 AM
    All children need to be trained on how to call and text in case of emergency and keep communication with parents; however, they should use flip phones until their first year in high school.

? CB10 ?
    05-21-14 11:51 AM
    My kids started using I pads and play books and androids and blackberries since birth!

From games to picture viewing, my daughter of 18 months can navigate through any of os' s like it's a native action to her.

Lately they got used to them they started treating them like any other device and demand has gotten low.

They do not request them, use them only occasionally to watch a u tube video or play an educational puzzle game.

Our school is a bit progressive and is cancelling all books next year and replacing them with tablets.

I guess it's the way of the future, when kids are involved we need to think 18 years from now, and not only "now"

So I guess as early as possible and the kids will treat them like any house hold item, they will be used to there presence and will not be amazed by them, actually they become a bit "blaze" excuse my french to technology items.

Q10 On Steroids running on pure Awesomeness
    LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    05-21-14 12:14 PM
    First "smart" phone? Probably not until sophomore or junior year of highschool. Give them a flip/slide phone to test their responsibility.
    05-21-14 12:24 PM
    My daughter is 2 1/2 and she already has one.
    At what age should a child get a "smart" phone?-img_20140521_133214.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Gatmyer and MobileMadness002 like this.
    05-21-14 12:33 PM
    My kids started using I pads and play books and androids and blackberries since birth!

From games to picture viewing, my daughter of 18 months can navigate through any of os' s like it's a native action to her.

Lately they got used to them they started treating them like any other device and demand has gotten low.

They do not request them, use them only occasionally to watch a u tube video or play an educational puzzle game.

Our school is a bit progressive and is cancelling all books next year and replacing them with tablets.

I guess it's the way of the future, when kids are involved we need to think 18 years from now, and not only "now"

So I guess as early as possible and the kids will treat them like any house hold item, they will be used to there presence and will not be amazed by them, actually they become a bit "blaze" excuse my french to technology items.

Q10 On Steroids running on pure Awesomeness
    their and blas�

Make sure those tech devices have grammar programs :-)
    05-21-14 12:34 PM
    My daughter is 2 1/2 and she already has one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140521_133214.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	272516

Posted via CB10
    Man, this was my first smart phone. I was a Junior in highschool at the time.
    Levi_Asaiah likes this.
    05-21-14 12:42 PM
    My son is 12, he got one about 2 years ago, back then he just had a flip. Last year he got the iPhone and had to take it away from him for a while because of going into websites he shouldn't be going into. Hopefully he learned his lesson after he had to go back to his little old flip phone for several months of punishment.

Sent from another device other than my Q10 ,using CB Forums
    05-21-14 12:50 PM
    Maturity, accountability and trust are the main criteria after affordability. It is by no means a right! It is a privilege!

How your child acted/ acts in the cereal aisle of the grocery store is a good measure. When it is your money being spent do they throw a tantrum? Conversely, do you capitulate to avoid a scene or conflict? When it's their money being spent do they choose wisely?

All are clues to how that child handles/will handle responsibility and also evidence of how well you've done as a parent.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-21-14 01:00 PM
    I got my kids iPod touches at 6 & 7, Since it was an iPod they could only connect to the internet at home. We also would take them away in the evenings and limit there time. There still use them, though they now have Gen 5's, and their 10 and 11. I think at 12 they will get cell phones, but they're going pay as you go sim without cellular data (they can use wifi at home) . The can get a regular service plan with data when they can pay for it themselves.
    05-21-14 01:10 PM
    When my fear for my child becomes bigger than losing/damaging a phone...
    No, seriously.
    I intend to buy a phone for my son when he gests age of 6, when he goes to school, with 2 buttons on it: Red and Green, programmed to call only 1 number in case of an emergency (Home/mine/my wife), and recieving only calls (also programmable)... This type of phones already exist.
    A smartphone? When he "needs" one, not when he "wants" one...
    Cheers.

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    05-21-14 01:30 PM
    I think that the big question is smart, if I have a 12/13 year old with a busy schedule, I'd want then to have a phone, but a dumb one so they can call for pickup. But when to let them have a smartphone is a huge deal.

Via Z10
    Yes

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    05-21-14 01:31 PM
    Interesting posts so far.

The whole 'since birth' idea so they don't care so much for them is intriguing but my kids are 5, 6 and 7 currently. Given the chance they will live on the tablets so no chance is granted. Time is always a limited pleasure.

I want them to be able to handle the real world as well as the digital.

I wantz more BlackBerry goodness!
    05-21-14 01:57 PM
    My son is almost 9. He has an iPod touch, and an iPad Mini. He won't be getting a smartphone for awhile.
    Maybe a flip phone for those emergency times but that's it. I mean he WANTS an Iphone 5s doesn't mean he's getting one. Unless he pays for it and the phone plan
    mkelley65 and kbz1960 like this.
    05-21-14 02:12 PM
    Children shouldn't get smart phones.

Now, a ph that can call & text only - 10 years old... maybe

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    05-23-14 11:19 PM
52 123