Once upon a time welfare was a hand UP. Not a hand OUT! Tennesssee first sate to benefit from SafeLink Wireless program

"TracFone Wireless, the Tennessee Department of Safety, local nonprofits and elected-officials will launch SafeLink Wireless� to aid 812,807 low-income households in Tennessee. Through this much-needed service to struggling families, the SafeLink Wireless service will provide Tennessee�s eligible low-income households a free cell phone, unlimited mobile access to emergency services (911), and over an hour of air time each month for up to one year. (Participants may renew service and will be required to re-submit eligibility documentation upon their year completion. More information will be provided during media interviews.) The cell phone offers in-demand features: free voicemail account, text, call waiting, international calling to over 60 destinations and caller ID."

So what happens when these people exceed there 68 minutes and don't/can't pay the overages? Does that come out of the General Funds (i.e. my tax dollars) as well? They will be able to add minutes at outrageous rates, like 450 Minutes good for 90 Days for 79.99! What Tracfone lobbyist pulled this off!
    10-15-08 03:14 PM
    Just another step for the "rights" of American citizens. It seems these days all kinds of things are rights.

I think I'll quit killing myself to make sure myself and my employees have health ins., etc. It may just be easier to accept whatever our benevolent government chooses to give out.

Food, healthcare, housing, education, etc, etc, and now of course "cell phones".

"WHY WORK?!"

I live in TN which is a pretty conservative state. A few years ago we had this huge issue with a program called TennCare, which covered those who could not afford insurance. One of those years before the eventual collapse of the existing program-
    "The medical expenses of 52% of the babies born in the state were paid by TennCare".

Or, in actuality by..........ME!

And now, it seems they "NEED" cell phones.

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is large enough to take everything you have"
    Ronald Reagan
    10-15-08 03:35 PM
    Personally, I'm waiting until my house is paid for and Michigan will pay for my BB through a welfare program and I'm done working too. (Incase you couldn't tell, that's sarcasm)

We need to quit giving people incentives to stay on welfare. I know some are legitimately on it but come on. Just give them the phones so they can call 911 but don't give them any minutes.

We'll never see the end of this stuff now that the politicians have realized they can use government cheese and handouts to buy votes.

Again, I have no problem with people using welfare to get through a rough spot since that's what it really exists for. Its the people with no ambition that live on welfarea good chunk of their lives without even trying to get off the dole with whom I have a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-08 03:47 PM
    See and this is what our tax dollars is going towards. Isn't that something?

Each year we pay X amount of $ towards people who'd rather be on welfare. Now if you need to, then that's another story but the people with 10 kids is just insane.

This has got to be a Joke.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what's the real purpose of giving them a phone. what if they go over there minutes....then what?

10-15-08 03:50 PM
    Just another step for the "rights" of American citizens. It seems these days all kinds of things are rights.

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is large enough to take everything you have"
    Ronald Reagan
    Well said Stew. I'm in TN as well and this pisses me off. TN Care and Cover TN is a joke. Need a raise? Spit me out ANOTHER Kid! Bam! There's ya 2k more a month. My wife and I are both self employed and uninsured so we can afford to have insurance for our ONE kid. Free cell phones, What's next Government subsidized cigarettes?
    10-15-08 04:08 PM
    Well gents, it's like the bumper sticker I saw on a car in traffic not too long ago. It read: Work Harder, people on welfare depend on you...
    10-15-08 04:23 PM
    Well gents, it's like the bumper sticker I saw on a car in traffic not too long ago. It read: Work Harder, people on welfare depend on you...
    I GOTTA get one of those!
    10-15-08 04:27 PM
    Sweet! Found it. Best $2.99 I've ever spent!

Attachment 5127
    10-15-08 04:32 PM
    Sweet! Found it. Best $2.99 I've ever spent!

Attachment 5127
    Um, it would have killed you to post the link? j/k

What really gets me going is the idea that I'm a **** if I'm against welfare as we know it. My real problem is that we're raising a society of people who won't have the desire to break free of the dependance they have on government and go really build a fulfilling life for themselves and their families.

In the meantime you and I get to carry a bigger and bigger burden.

I am also self employed. I pay almost $900 per month to insure myself, my wife and our 3 kids. I also pay the monthly premiums for all of my employees.

My cellular bill for myself, my partner and our wives is over $400 per month.

I can assure you that people like us were not consulted when working on this stupid free cell phone legislation.
    10-15-08 04:58 PM
    Not sure about who can and can't get the phone but I think the idea is a good one if its for people who NEED it. For example this man who lives near me and in a wheel chair his battery in the chair died and he was going home with food from the store, 95 degrees in the FL sun... he can't afford a cell phone so this program would be perfect and its a tracphone so once min are used that's it no overtime costs.

I think people on SSD or SSI should get one but people on welfare or can work in the future shouldn't.

10-15-08 05:02 PM
    We (the working stiffs & business owners) are supporting others at all levels of society:
    1. So called disadvantaged
    2. Big farm conglomerates
    3. Big businesses offering huge golden
    parachutes to officers.
    4. Our beloved poltical leaders who don't
    pay into Social Security
    5. Bank Bailouts
    6. Greedy multiple home owners who
    got in way over their ability to pay.
    etc etc etc
    10-15-08 05:09 PM
    Not sure about who can and can't get the phone but I think the idea is a good one if its for people who NEED it. For example this man who lives near me and in a wheel chair his battery in the chair died and he was going home with food from the store, 95 degrees in the FL sun... he can't afford a cell phone so this program would be perfect and its a tracphone so once min are used that's it no overtime costs.

I think people on SSD or SSI should get one but people on welfare or can work in the future shouldn't.
    There is a need there but a device that will ONLY dial 911 will be sufficient and considerably less costly with no room for abuse.
    10-15-08 05:28 PM
    Um, it would have killed you to post the link? j/k
    Work Harder Stickers, Bumper Stickers - Sticker Giant ENJOY!
    10-15-08 05:43 PM
    We (the working stiffs & business owners) are supporting others at all levels of society:
    1. So called disadvantaged
    2. Big farm conglomerates
    3. Big businesses offering huge golden
    parachutes to officers.
    4. Our beloved poltical leaders who don't
    pay into Social Security
    5. Bank Bailouts
    6. Greedy multiple home owners who
    got in way over their ability to pay.
    etc etc etc
    Well said.

I continue to be amazed as I listen to people rant about how pathetic government is at this and how terrible they are at that (and thery're right)....................
    and in the same breath talk about the things government should be doing for them and others.

It's the entire premise that's wrong. A giant government cannot manage my money or my priorities better than I can...........period. Government should not pick the winners and loosers in society. The more power we give these people the more they reward bad behavior.

"Run your business into the ground with other peoples money....no problem, here's a bail out."

"Don't feel like getting up and going to work today?........here's a bail out."

And all us poor morons stuck in the middle trying to follow the rules get to pay the tab. The problem is the tab is getting quite large and many of us are either going to get tired of carying the burden or simply won't be able to.
    10-15-08 05:49 PM
    Well then think about who you vote for this year. Obama was quoated on tv the other day saying "We need to spread the wealth around!"

10-15-08 08:40 PM
    This is down to a t what obama wants to do...

Hope this helps

10-15-08 09:48 PM
    I'm way over my head here but I would only agree would an emergency based service.

10-15-08 10:02 PM
    I think its just another con by the goverment to make money for somebody wellfare was meant to be a good program for some people who needed a stepping stone but like everything else our leaders get all wrong yes its true people to take advantge of the system but if the system allows them to do it then of course people will take advantge the whole program sounds stupid most cell phones can call 911 even if they are not activated so that is a b.s. Reason if they getting money then pay for a house phone its cheaper then a cell phone that is not a NEED

10-15-08 10:16 PM
    Ok stupid question here how can a tracphone be abused? From what I know a pay as you go phone once you use your say 68 min you don't get more unless you pay for more. Only thing they get free is the basic phone and 68 mins.

And 911 only isn't helpful for someone who does not need police ambulance or fire trucks.

Take my neighbor if all he could do is call 911 they would send a fire truck that's 500 bucks the city pays! If he had this phone he could call his brother to bring his spare battery cost hmmm cheap tracphone $10 68 mins on phone $10. I think these phones will end up saving everyone a lot of $$$ in the long run.

Check out www.safelinkwireless.com and see what they get personally I think in the long run this idea could save a lot of money.

Oh and it could also help them get a job since they would have a phone to be called back.

All this negative about a simple prepaid phone to help people who couldn't afford a phone in the first place. 95% of us couldn't work without a phone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if they are careful who they give them to a simple prepaid phone could be a great tool to help those less fortunate then us with high end BBs.

10-15-08 10:59 PM
    First off there are very few people in this country who "can't" work. Second, charities exist for a reason, it is not the governments responsibility to use my money how they see fit for charity...

Hope this helps

10-15-08 11:04 PM
    Screw it, let's give them cars too, they need to get around, just limit how much gas they get. It would ease the burden on public transportation and save tons of money...

10-15-08 11:07 PM
    Screw it, let's give them cars too, they need to get around, just limit how much gas they get. It would ease the burden on public transportation and save tons of money...

That's funny.

What about every American's right to Fish, Hunt, Ski and Golf?

Maybe we could give them golf clubs but ration the balls (for the good of the taxpayer)? You get one ball per round of golf---ya hit it in the woods.......round over.

Seriously speaking, the US has really redefined what it means to be poor. There are places in the world where people have never seen a phone. No electricity, plumbing, no Ipods, just dirt, sand and straw. Heck even Obama's brother survives on like $4 per month and lives in a hut.

Here poor means your house isn't all that nice, you only have one car and it's old, you watch tv (without cable), you are alloted vouchers to buy food, your kids always get breakfast and lunch at school. I'm sure the people living in huts really feel sorry for you.

The great thing about America is that you have the freedom to succeed. You also have the freedom to fail. You then have the freedom to get back up and succeed again. I have done it, many of my family have done it and most of my friends have done it.

Free cell phones, regardless of how well intentioned is the wrong direction for our government to go with taxpayer money. If a charity or individual wants to do it---so be it. But it is not the place of government to try to spread the wealth around and make everybody equal. People don't all put forth "equal" effort and it's not fair to break the backs of hard working people so you can give it to people who don't care.

The only thing that should be equal is....................OPPORTUNITY!
    10-16-08 09:18 AM
    that's it, i'm movin to canada.
    10-16-08 09:56 AM
    Well said.

I continue to be amazed as I listen to people rant about how pathetic government is at this and how terrible they are at that (and thery're right)....................
    and in the same breath talk about the things government should be doing for them and others.

It's the entire premise that's wrong. A giant government cannot manage my money or my priorities better than I can...........period. Government should not pick the winners and loosers in society. The more power we give these people the more they reward bad behavior.

"Run your business into the ground with other peoples money....no problem, here's a bail out."

"Don't feel like getting up and going to work today?........here's a bail out."

And all us poor morons stuck in the middle trying to follow the rules get to pay the tab. The problem is the tab is getting quite large and many of us are either going to get tired of carrying the burden or simply won't be able to.
    Amen.

Myself, I know I couldn't run the country any worse than anyone currently in office, but it would be slightly better...with lots more space and less useless people.

Dm
    10-16-08 12:23 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but what's the real purpose of giving them a phone. what if they go over there minutes....then what?
    My neighbor had a TracPhone. When the minutes were gone, the phone didn't work except for 911 calls only. I hope these phones will work the same way, or be prepared to bend over and take it up the you know where to cover the overages as taxpayers.

My S/O's mother is 84 years old. When she moved over to be closer to my S/O, we tried for a year to get her into decent Section 8 housing. We were told that the waiting list would be up to 8 years to get her on the S8 voucher listings.

Why? Too many people abusing the system. While we were in the office, at least 3 women came in with fake fingernails, cell phones, BlueTooth headsets and done up hair and were COMPLAINING that their rent went up from $8 a month to $50 a month.

I only WISH my house note was $50 a month. I'd be in heaven.
    10-16-08 04:01 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD