Hey Jerseys Peeps!!!!

So I know there are some of you out there......ever hear of Weird NJ magazine? Just got the new issue and want to share that I have a picture in there!!!! It's very exciting LOL Anyone else out there read it? Or ok if you aren't from Jersey, has anyone ever read any of the "Weird" books?? You can find them in the travel section of your bookstore (Barnes and Nobles for sure).
    04-18-08 08:28 PM
    haha. I've heard of wierdNJ I used to read their website all the time! (and I"m from jersey - south jersey).
    04-18-08 08:30 PM
    I've read it before! I'm from Florida, and we have a Weird Florida as well. One of the most interesting things I've read in any of the Weird books is mentioned in Weird Pennsylvania. There is a town called Centralia, Pennsylvania that has a large coal vein running beneath the town streets. A trash fire got out of hand sometime in the 60s and lit the coal vein on fire. There has been an underground inferno raging beneath Centralia's streets for over 40 years now, and geologists estimate it will continue to burn for anotherr 100 years or so! The city used to be home to over 1000 residents, but only 10 or 11 people live there now. Centralia is what the town in the Silent Hill movie is based on. How cool/ weird is that?
    04-19-08 06:18 PM
    RubyRed, have you ever been to any of the places listed in Weird NJ? They make for fun trips on boring weekends! My buddy took a trip and sat on Satan's throne in Cassadaga, FL one weekend. Cassadaga is this interesting town in Florida where 98% of the residents are professed psychics, witches, and even some necromancers. Weird stuff man.
    04-19-08 06:21 PM
    I've read it before! I'm from Florida, and we have a Weird Florida as well. One of the most interesting things I've read in any of the Weird books is mentioned in Weird Pennsylvania. There is a town called Centralia, Pennsylvania that has a large coal vein running beneath the town streets. A trash fire got out of hand sometime in the 60s and lit the coal vein on fire. There has been an underground inferno raging beneath Centralia's streets for over 40 years now, and geologists estimate it will continue to burn for anotherr 100 years or so! The city used to be home to over 1000 residents, but only 10 or 11 people live there now. Centralia is what the town in the Silent Hill movie is based on. How cool/ weird is that?

Wow. I didn't know Silent Hill was based on Centralia. I used to travel through there to get to Mt Carmel when I was a kid. That's freakin' creepy!
    04-19-08 06:31 PM
    Never heard of it, but I will definitely look into it now. My g/f likes things like that.
    04-19-08 06:42 PM
    off topic? :]
    04-19-08 06:49 PM
    Wow. I didn't know Silent Hill was based on Centralia. I used to travel through there to get to Mt Carmel when I was a kid. That's freakin' creepy!
    That's pretty crazy you used to drive through there. My buddy and I were saying that if we were ever in PA we would take a trip to Centralia. We've seen pictures of the town online and it looks interesting. There are entire sections of streets that have cracked from the heat and produce hot steam now.
    04-19-08 06:55 PM
    I usually take the new magazine out with my car and see how many of the places I can find.......it may sound lame, but I love it!!! I can honestly say that I've been to a lot of "weird" places in this state!!! It's great I love it
    04-20-08 03:33 PM
    I've heard of it but never read a copy of it. Ill put it on my list of things to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-08 10:03 PM
    My friends and I went to the Vernon Insane Asylum when I was 17. Crazy experience!! I've gone to a lot of other weird NJ places, but that was my most memorable.
    04-21-08 10:05 PM
    I live in NJ and recently picked up the latest issue (i think), and in the back i noticed today that there is a WEIRD NJ Iphone APP!!! So here I am searching Crackberry.com to see if there is one for all us Crackberry users and I run across this thread. The app supposedly let's you know when you are near weird NJ locations, etc. using GPS features I gather. Available for the Iphone on Itunes it said.

Any news on a Weird NJ Blackberry App????

Oh yeah, and I know a girl who now lives in NJ who used to live IN Centralia. She's a friend of an ex-gf tho, haven't seen her in ages.
    07-01-10 02:50 AM
    Yea the weird NJ iphone app is pretty cool.

It uses the GPS features to find locations and shows you how to get there.

There's even a way to add locations.

I've done many a pilgrimage to the locations in the magazines
    07-01-10 09:20 AM
    Cool digging up of an old thread! I have seen the magazine in some of the B & N locations here in Philly. I have also of course heard of Centrailia. I have always wanted to go there and see it for myself. I saw a documentary about it a few years ago at a film festival that was VERY well done.

The Town that Was | A Film by Chris Perkel and Georgie Roland

Centralia, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    07-01-10 10:13 AM
    How about Buck Hill???

The Abandoned Ski Resort featured on an episode of MTV's fear

Pretty cool spot in PA
    07-01-10 10:39 AM
    How about Buck Hill???

The Abandoned Ski Resort featured on an episode of MTV's fear

Pretty cool spot in PA
    It isn't really abandoned. They just claim that it is.

Buck Hill Falls, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-10 02:03 PM
    Yes, and no.

Buck Hill Resort is surrounded by a small Community.

Buck Hill the Resort is abandoned...

Whether or not it's haunted is a completely different story.
    07-01-10 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD