I'm planning to start a website with forum (simply put, 'crackberry' like website). My goal is to accomodate a certain community in my country and of course to gain income from that website.
    The problem is I know almost nothing about this bussiness. All I have is concept of the website.
    So I'm wondering if anyone can give recommendation of books that I can read about developing and monetizing website and forum.
    Thanks before..

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 06:02 AM
    I don't think you even really need a book. Most sites these days don't develop things from scratch.

Most everything is application driven. For example, here is a one-click install to setup WordPress (which lets you create a news-like website, and you can then layer on some forum software)

I'd just google it and avoid reading a book. Most books will teach you low level (how to build the entire thing in JavaScript) and would take months.
    09-03-15 05:24 PM
    Definitely check out

It's like Lego for websites, fully open source, more secure than WordPress, thousands of modules and fully customizable, written in PHP...

Attachment 370290

(these are older ones, but the basics are still the same whether it's Drupal 6, 7 or the new 8. The Using Drupal might have an updated version by now, or you'll get it real cheap! The other one is more advanced and for users that want to max out and automate a lot of things)

  Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...  
    Attached Thumbnails Website Development Book Recomendation-img_20150908_110645.jpg  
    09-07-15 08:07 PM
    Drupal will allow you to click and paste a website together in a few minutes, or build something potentially as awesome and feature-rich as YouTube, Facebook and many other sites...

is running Drupal, and thousands of other pages too!

Drupal's main benefits are its openness, security and most of all, its extensibility. That means a website can be as simple as a blog and/ or forums, or corporate or NGO site of global reach and proportions...

You can start out small and expand as you go. With many other systems (CMS - content management systems) you might hit a wall or a barrier with regards to extensibility soon.

Good luck and take care!

  Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...  
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 09-07-15 at 08:25 PM.
    09-07-15 08:13 PM
    Try joomla

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 08:33 PM
    Try joomla

Posted via CB10
    Not trying to start any flame wars here, but I find Joomla clunky compared to Drupal's endless extensibility... :-)

No offense, open source CMSes rock, regardless of flavor...

09-09-15 06:24 PM
    It usually boils down to one of the three. WordPress, Joomla or Drupal for a new page and first timer.

I list them in that order by what I found to be easier for a novice

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    09-09-15 11:01 PM