Hey cb nation.
    I need a little web design help. I know this is a bb forum, but I figured I'd ask!
    I'm working on my website (not bb related). And I have been using iframes which I know are old and outdated.
    I want a code or script that will let me make a layout, and it automatically posts it on all my pages. When I add a link to the menu, I don't want to have to add it to every page, ya know?
    I've heard jquery is good, but I've never used it. I've also heard I should use ssi or php but noone has actually pointed me somewhere that will help

Thanks for any help!
    02-26-12 03:30 PM
    Hello,

Do you mean that you only want to change the content box ?
    So imagine like this.
    You have a layout ( header, navigation, left/right bar, contentbox(place with text), footer)
    So you just want that whenever you press on a link on the navigation(menu) that the content only switches, and your layout etc isnt reloading ( due high bandwith/loading times).
    Is this your question ?
    Please provide me more info.
    What program are you using to make the website.
    Just html/css or more ?
    But i think iframes will do your thing
    02-26-12 07:26 PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have plenty of bandwith so I don't mine the whole page reloading every time. My main issue is, I want the frames like layout without the frames. Exactly like you mentioned. But right now, with my frames, if I tell someone to go to mywebsite.com/page.html, it will only load page.html, not the menu etc. With frames, I would have to tell them to go to mywebsite.com then click this link, then this one. I'd rather just email the link and it work. Ya know what I mean?
    Currently it is programmed by hand using html and css, but I am totally redoing it with a more professional look. Right now I have a lot of images. My layout is image based, with the images mapped so you can click them. I want to make a accordian style menu or something with text, not images also. But I can do that part no problem. I just can't figure out the layout issue without using the frames.
    02-26-12 08:25 PM
    Actually if you want to change the iframe (content) and you give a link to website.com/content1.html they will see your content only.
    So i dont think i got your question.:-)
    02-27-12 03:12 AM
    That's exactly what I mean. They will see the content only with the frames. I don't want that. I want them to be able to see the whole page. Menus and all.
    02-27-12 06:30 AM
    you need to code it in php

once you set up the layout it's done. then the only things that change are the posts and whatever links/ads you put up
    02-27-12 07:00 AM
    Then yes php is usable or you go for iframes with html.
    If you dont want to fight with errors just go for iframes. Easy fast and simple
    02-27-12 01:30 PM
    i dont mind fighting with php :-) anyone have any recommendations on what website can help me to start?
    02-27-12 06:37 PM
    okay, so...
    i figured it out...almost. i needed the head, nav, and foot.php and i made those, and i have all the coding right.
    my ONLY issue im having now, is making the nav stay the length of the page. i read that you put id="full" in a table, inside the main table tag. but that isnt working. the page i am testing is a php/html combo, which i read is fine. html main content, with the php header, navigation and footer.

anyone have any tips on how to make the navigation stay the length of the page?? do i add it to the nav.php? or to the regular html of the page that the content will be on?

thanks!
    02-27-12 09:42 PM
    I know I can't simply set the height to 100%. But I read that if I do this it will work...
    -----
    <html style="height: 100%;">
    <body style="height: 100%;">
    <table style="height: 100%;">
    <tr>
    <td>....</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    -----
    I can't try it right this minute, but do you think it will work?
    02-27-12 10:53 PM
    Hello,

Right your using nav.phpp,
    It can be used over the lenght of the page or in a border(depends on ur wish)
    How you are planning to make the index?
    02-28-12 05:41 PM
    i want the nav.php on the left about 150-200px.
    i want the index in basic html/css with updates of the website.
    u can PM me if u want and i can send you the link. or add me on bbm and ill send it to ya.

thanks again
    02-28-12 07:11 PM
    So someone told me not to use tables to make a layout. To use div tage. So I'm trying to use the div tags but the navigation on the left and the content to the right of the navigation doesn't work. I can't make them on the same line. Both float left. And nav is align left and content is aligh right.
    02-29-12 03:28 PM
    heres my code... i cant get my wordpress to load. (my wordpress is called content, in the content folder)

------
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="test2/css/style.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
    <script src="test2/js/jquery.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>

<style type="text/css">
    div.container
    {
    width:80%;
    margin:0px;
    border:0px;
    line-height:150%
    height:auto;
    align: center;
    }
    div.header,div.footer
    {
    padding:0;
    color:white;
    background-color:gray;
    clear:left;
    }
    div.nav
    {
    float:left;
    width:150px;
    margin:0;
    }
    div.content
    {
    margin-left:160px;
    border-left:0;
    }
    </style>

</head>
    <body>

<div class="container">
    <div class="header">
    <?php include("test2/head.php"); ?>
    </div>
    <div class="nav">
    <?php include("test2/nav.php"); ?>
    </div>
    <div class="content">
    <?php include('content/index.php'); ?>
    </div>

<div class="footer">
    <?php include("test2/foot.php"); ?>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    -----

i used this...
    <?php include("content/index.php"); ?>
    and this
    <?php require("content/index.php"); ?>
    and
    <?php require('content/wp-blog-header.php'); ?>
    and
    <?php include('content/wp-blog-header.php'); ?>

i cant figure out why it wont load. the head nav and foot work fine.
    what am i missing?
    Last edited by editionfws; 03-01-12 at 08:27 PM. Reason: bolded main issue
    03-01-12 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD