Dan Gilbert talked about how the human brain is able to 'synthesize' happiness but only when we have limited or no choice: https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilber...y_are_we_happy

https://embed-ssl.ted.com/talks/dan_..._we_happy.html

An extreme example given was that someone who won the lottery and someone who became a paraplegic will be at the same level of happiness after just 3 months. Another experiment shows that students found themselves happier with a painting of their choice if they had no chance of changing their minds as opposed to students who were given other options and chances to keep changing their minds.

This made me think that it could be the reason why I seem to become bored with my Z10 after a few days and switch to an iPhone, only to switch to an Android phone, to Classic, to a BBOS phone, Q10, back to the Z10, etc. It's because they are all at my desk. When BB 10.1 first came out last year, I was so happy... that was until I got 10.2 and it really made me happy and didn't like 10.1 as much. Lately, I'm starting to fall out of love with 10.2 because I know that 10.3 is just around the corner!

Meanwhile, I know of people who are 'married' to their Bold 9900 by contract and are quite happy with what they have. I have friends still using their iPhone 4 and are quite happy despite the limited (rather lack of) other form factors available in the iPhone 4 line up. But my friends who weren't stuck, upgraded to the iPhone 5, and iPhone 6 because they could. They are happy with their phones now but I bet when the iPhone 7 comes out...

Does the brain have the tendency to be unhappy? In Dan Gilbert's talk, he also points out in an experiment that if a respondent was asked whether or not he prefer to a) have only 1 chance to make a choice or; b) have the option to keep changing your mind later, a majority of respondents chose b! The brain wants to keep its options open! It seems to me that this could be a 'flaw' in the human brain that marketing professionals could exploit. Watch the Ted Talk, it's quite interesting.
    02-07-15 12:22 AM
    When I get a cut while cutting a bread or a fruit and think it is painful, I always think of a soldier losing an arm or a leg, estimate lucky not having lost a finger, put desinfection and a pansement and move on...
    Same principle... no joke!

Worst... get diagnosis cancer and KNOW that with the stand of our medicine today, you only have 6 months to live.

Life is too short, make the most of it, be productive... use a BlackBerry....... wow wow wow, my thoughts went too far now!
    (in Rehab. Section)

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675; Germany.
    02-07-15 12:52 AM